Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Garbage disposal stuck

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:1MUIf.15091$H%4.11430@pd7tw2no...
tenplay wrote:

Our kitchen sink has a garbage disposal that is stuck or not working. It
is an InSinkErator Badger 5 model. My wife says that a service rep who
came out the last time it malfunctioned said that all he had to do was
press a reset button. But I cannot locate it. Can anyone instruct me?
Thanks.

Hmmm.
Ever read a manual for it? When it's not popped, harder to feel but it's
underneath. Use a mirror with flash light. And find and keep that hand
crank hex key to use it when jammed.
Tony

And a couple of other things...........................

Get a ratchet with a long extension. Get the socket for the turntable that
spins in there. When it is really stuck, sticking the ratchet and socket in
from the top and twisting it backwards will usually free up the spinner.

Get a flashlight and a long set of forceps. Look into the top when
something gets in there, and use the forceps to get it out.

I had always had luck in just grinding up what was in there without having
to reach in there and actually pull it out. My fat hand will just barely go
in there, and it is painful and difficult to reach in there and get things
by the very tips of my fingers. But I can do it. So, mainly I use the
flashlight and forceps method. But, when it spins, I just usually let it
grind up the offending food part.

A few weeks ago, something was rattling around in my dishwasher. I turned
it on, and figured it would grind up whatever it was. It was a small
colored rock from my driveway. I do not know how it got in there. It spun
perfectly in the space between the spinner and the outside case. It poked a
nice hole in there. Water, water everywhere under the sink, counter, and
floor.

Time for a new disposal. Well, it was time anyway, but you hate for it to
go that way.

So, use the additional tips I posted here. Ratchet, flashlight, and
forceps.

Steve