Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
John

Default Furnace will not come on unless I reset circuit breaker.

Problem with my Bryant furnace.

I come home or wake up to a cold house. The furnace has stopped working.
First thing I do is beat on the thermostat. Does not work. Turning the
blower to the on position starts the blower motor.

I go downstairs, and reset the furnace circuit breaker. Furnace fires up.

The rest of the day, the thing works fine. Then a day later, happens
again.

I put tape over the door switch, so I can see if the diagnostic LED is
blinking a code next time it happens. I assume the door switch kills
power, thus clearing any errors.

Right now it glows steady. I suppose I need a list of error codes, and
possibly a way to retrive any stored codes, if the board has that capacity.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
kids

Just one idea:
I had exactly same problem on Carrier high efficiency furnace last year.
It was 2 stage furnace. During the day normally furnace works on 1st stage,
so no problem there. At night furnace needs more heat so it starts at 1st
stage, then after 12min goes to second stage. As in second stage it worked
quite long to satisfy thermostat next time it starts with 2nd stage right
away.
My problem was that venting of pipes from furnace was not sloping. So some
water was staying in pipes and was freezing. When furnace was starting on
2nd stage furnace computer would calculate that there is too much resistance
in pipes and would shut itself down. Reseting furnace power would start next
time furnace in 1st stage, so it worked.
Re-venting furnace fixe problem.

I am sure this is just one of possibilieites, but I hope it will help you.

Reagards,

"John" wrote in message
Problem with my Bryant furnace.

I come home or wake up to a cold house. The furnace has stopped working.
First thing I do is beat on the thermostat. Does not work. Turning the
blower to the on position starts the blower motor.

I go downstairs, and reset the furnace circuit breaker. Furnace fires up.

The rest of the day, the thing works fine. Then a day later, happens
again.

I put tape over the door switch, so I can see if the diagnostic LED is
blinking a code next time it happens. I assume the door switch kills
power, thus clearing any errors.

Right now it glows steady. I suppose I need a list of error codes, and
possibly a way to retrive any stored codes, if the board has that
capacity.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
jwilkers

kids wrote:
[...]

No change in our venting. It is, however, much colder than it has been
in previous winters.

I did replace an EXTREMELY dirty furnace filter the day before the
problem started. I can't imagine though, how this would bear on the
situation.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Pop

Flame sensor bad or dirty
Electrode bad or dirty or needs gapping
hi-V transformer weak
nozzle partially plugged

:
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

The door micro-switch does kill power to the furnace. We had a similar
problem a couple years back (mid-winter) and the company doing the
service (not anymore) took a week (yes a week) to figure it out. My
wife and I had to go down around the clock and manually restart from
the circut board. Turns out the service company said they had checked
the gas valve which it later turned out they hadn't, and the valve was
the culprit. Our lockout codes could be "overwritten" (manually) only
for a short period of time, hence the constant restarting..........Doc

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
John

"Noon-Air" wrote in
:

its broken, call your favorite tech.

Once I get the error codes I can go from there. I see no reasons to call
for an expensive service call when all I need to do is clean a flame sensor
or replace a $45 ignitor.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
John

"Pop" wrote in
et:

Flame sensor bad or dirty
Electrode bad or dirty or needs gapping
hi-V transformer weak
nozzle partially plugged

I'm hoping on the ignitor or flame sensor. Both have had issues in the
past few years. Both have been cleaned or replaced before.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
JohnH

When it happens is the time to fetch code. Until you read the code,
don't reset it by powering on/off which is initializing the logic.
Think logic, LOL.

Try reading the whole thread before replying.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Noon-Air

"John" wrote in message
"Noon-Air" wrote in
:

its broken, call your favorite tech.

Once I get the error codes I can go from there. I see no reasons to call
for an expensive service call when all I need to do is clean a flame
sensor
or replace a $45 ignitor.

Lets see how long your wife is gonna stand being without heat. After all,
its not rocket science....right??

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

What's your fuel source? Oil, propane, or natural gas?

Is it an 80% (metal chimney) or 90% model (plastic PVC vent)?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John" wrote in message
Problem with my Bryant furnace.

I come home or wake up to a cold house. The furnace has stopped working.
First thing I do is beat on the thermostat. Does not work. Turning the
blower to the on position starts the blower motor.

I go downstairs, and reset the furnace circuit breaker. Furnace fires up.

The rest of the day, the thing works fine. Then a day later, happens
again.

I put tape over the door switch, so I can see if the diagnostic LED is
blinking a code next time it happens. I assume the door switch kills
power, thus clearing any errors.

Right now it glows steady. I suppose I need a list of error codes, and
possibly a way to retrive any stored codes, if the board has that capacity.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

We need to k now the fuel.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pop" wrote in message
et...
Flame sensor bad or dirty
Electrode bad or dirty or needs gapping
hi-V transformer weak
nozzle partially plugged

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Pop

"John" wrote in message
: "Pop" wrote in
: et:
:
: Flame sensor bad or dirty
: Electrode bad or dirty or needs gapping
: hi-V transformer weak
: nozzle partially plugged
:
:
:
: I'm hoping on the ignitor or flame sensor. Both have had
issues in the
: past few years. Both have been cleaned or replaced before.

Can you observe them to watch them work? If they've gone out
before, well maybe ... makes sense to check at least.

Have you tried any of the appliance web sites? Thre are a couple
of good ones I'll look up if you haven't tried them yet. Let me
know. Or maybe someone else has them right handy and will post
them.
Have you tried the mfg's web site?
I've forgotten the initial post, so ... sorry if you already
said those things.

Pop

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
CJT

Noon-Air wrote:

"John" wrote in message

"Noon-Air" wrote in
:

its broken, call your favorite tech.

Once I get the error codes I can go from there. I see no reasons to call
for an expensive service call when all I need to do is clean a flame
sensor
or replace a $45 ignitor.

Lets see how long your wife is gonna stand being without heat. After all,
its not rocket science....right??

My wife must be more understanding than yours.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Pop wrote:
"John" wrote in message
: "Pop" wrote in
: et:
:
[...]

Hi,
My Carrier furnace can go into test moce cycling thru it's sequences.
Just a mattrer of jumpering one pin. No such thing in your furnace?
If you do, you can observe what's going on.
Tony
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"John" wrote in message
"Noon-Air" wrote in
:

its broken, call your favorite tech.

Once I get the error codes I can go from there. I see no reasons to call
for an expensive service call when all I need to do is clean a flame
sensor
or replace a $45 ignitor.

Is this your post?
No change in our venting. It is, however, much colder than it has been
in previous winters.

I did replace an EXTREMELY dirty furnace filter the day before the
problem started. I can't imagine though, how this would bear on the
situation.

If you cant figure out how a dirty filter can cause a unit to trip out and
lock out and stay in a locked out condition, then you REALLY do need to call
a qualified tech out.
Particularly if you are willing to pay $45 for a damn ignitor...an ignitor
that ISNT your issue, nor is that flame sensor.
And if you cant find the error codes, that are either on your board, or on
the door, then you sure you can go from there? I mean, just cause it says
its in a particular circuit, does that mean you will replace everything in
it and then still get the code later? Then, you are still down, and its
still not right, and you have blown money on parts you didnt need....lets
see...

$200 in parts you didnt need....
or
$150 service call that got you fixed...

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Pop wrote:
"John" wrote in message
: "Pop" wrote in
: et:
:
[...]

Tony, the only pin you should jumper is to turn your electro shock on you fundy
idiot.
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

We need to k now the fuel.

fart gas from beans.
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

What's your fuel source? Oil, propane, or natural gas?

I told you FART gas!!!!!

Is it an 80% (metal chimney) or 90% model (plastic PVC vent)?

Fart fan
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
John

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

We need to k now the fuel.

Natural Gas. I have a constant "on" on the LED. Several folks have
indicated this means a board failure.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
John

Tony Hwang wrote in news:1Flqf.158519$ki.53095@pd7tw2no:

My Carrier furnace can go into test moce cycling thru it's sequences.
Just a mattrer of jumpering one pin. No such thing in your furnace?
If you do, you can observe what's going on.
Tony

Mine has that option too. Since it fires up and works fine once I cycle
the circuit breaker or open and close the door, test mode is not required.

Problem is intermittent. Woke up yesterday morning to a 50 degree house.
Today, everything is working fine. It's happened 3 times in a week. I
just never know when the thing won't work.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
John

"CBHVAC" wrote in
:

"John" wrote in message
"Noon-Air" wrote in
:

its broken, call your favorite tech.

Once I get the error codes I can go from there. I see no reasons to
call for an expensive service call when all I need to do is clean a
flame sensor
or replace a $45 ignitor.

Is this your post?
No change in our venting. It is, however, much colder than it has
been in previous winters.

I did replace an EXTREMELY dirty furnace filter the day before the
problem started. I can't imagine though, how this would bear on the
situation.

If you cant figure out how a dirty filter can cause a unit to trip out
and lock out and stay in a locked out condition, then you REALLY do
need to call a qualified tech out.

Ya got it backwards. The problem didn't start until AFTER I replaced the
filter.

As it turns out, we got an offer in the mail from our furnace guy for a
reduced price furnace checkup. We are going to call. In the end, we'll
find out the deal.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

John posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

"CBHVAC" wrote in
:

"John" wrote in message
"Noon-Air" wrote in
:

[...]

ANY furnace guy that isn't busy right now HAS got to be a hack. Think about
it.
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
John posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

"CBHVAC" wrote in
:

"John" wrote in message
"Noon-Air" wrote in
:

[...]

No kidding...booking now installs now for late Feb, and into March
again...just when you think you get caught up...

--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie

Bad Circuit Breaker mindbender Home Repair 10 October 6th 05 01:51 AM
Popping circuit breaker w/ TS Don97623 Woodworking 14 December 1st 04 01:49 AM
Furnace problems - repair, replace or ???? Paul Home Repair 11 March 24th 04 12:59 AM
circuit breaker Smerby Home Repair 3 March 6th 04 04:51 AM
can a circuit re-enter the breaker box? wahzoo Home Repair 5 January 6th 04 03:46 PM