Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader

Default Is there such a thing as a comfortable sleeper sofa?

Just posing this question out there.

I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is never
good.

Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and, perhaps
more importantly, do you know who made it?

I realize this is sort of off topic, but just wondering if there isn;t
something I should be looking for with my next sleeper sofa.

Alright, its my first.

TIA

Mr. Curious

Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader

"Bishoop" wrote in message

"ng_reader" wrote in message
Just posing this question out there.

I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is
never good.

Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and,
perhaps more importantly, do you know who made it?

I realize this is sort of off topic, but just wondering if there isn;t
something I should be looking for with my next sleeper sofa.

Alright, its my first.

TIA

Mr. Curious

Try a futon....

You know it's funny we just got rid of one.

Yep, it's kind of comfortable, and I got the best one I thought I could
find - gold bond or something - but it never stayed on the frame! So the
couch was always looking odd.

In any event, I *did* find this company in Brooklyn that makes an
interesting product: Scott Jordan Furniture scottjordan.com

I think at this point it might be overkill. I'll just make the kids sleep on
the uncomfortable sleeper sofa, and move the P's into a twin.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

ng_reader wrote:

Just posing this question out there.

I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is never
good.

Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and, perhaps
more importantly, do you know who made it?

I realize this is sort of off topic, but just wondering if there isn;t
something I should be looking for with my next sleeper sofa.

Alright, its my first.

TIA

Mr. Curious

Hi,
Mr. Curious, how big are you?
It depends a lot on that.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Bishoop" wrote in message

"ng_reader" wrote in message
Just posing this question out there.

I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is

never
good.

Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and,

perhaps
more importantly, do you know who made it?

I realize this is sort of off topic, but just wondering if there isn;t
something I should be looking for with my next sleeper sofa.

Alright, its my first.

TIA

Mr. Curious

Try a futon....

Let me amend that to say a futon-style drop-down couch frame, but with
conventional mattresses instead of that damn bag of lint. I bought a top-of
the line from one of the big chains a few years back, only used it as a bed
a few times, and at the end of the first year it looked like a prison
mattress. Threw the cushion away, and had a local mattress store make me
custom foam cushions the same size. Not bad now. Not like a real bed, but
tolerable for a night or three, which is about all the longer I want company
staying anyway.

Now as to those regular sofa sleepers- forget it- never been on one where
that damn bar didn't jab me in the back all night. Usually end up pulling
out the 2" mattress, and sleeping on that on the floor, after folding the
couch back up. If I'm visiting someone who only has that to offer, I bring a
sleeping bag/airbed or stay in a hotel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
chemqueries

ng_reader wrote:
Just posing this question out there.
I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is never
good.
Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and, perhaps
more importantly, do you know who made it?

Years ago, I had a Castro Convertible sleeper sofa. Surprisingly, the
mattress was moderately comfortable for a year or so, but it rapidly
deteriorated. By the way, I've found that moving can destroy any
mattress, no matter how good it once was. I've seen movers FOLD (or
attempt to fold) mattresses. If you have a mattress that you like, and
if you plan to move, I suggest supervising the movers every step of the
way as they carry it, from the house to the truck and from the truck to
the new house. The last time I moved, I told the movers how important
the mattress was to me (it was only a few months old). I turned my back
for a minute and then started watching them again, to discover they
were attempting to bend it while walking up stairs. They coudn't have
cared less about my concerns, and this was one of the "better" moving
companies.

I'd say that one of the main causes of uncomfortable sofa beds is that
you HAVE to fold/bend the mattress each time you fold up the bed. I
don't think there's any way a mattress can survive long when it's bent
like that, even if it starts out as a fairly decent mattress. The other
problem is that, in order to fold the mattress and fit it in the sofa
frame, the mattress has to be quite thin, so it's probably not going to
be comfortable or thick enough to prevent you from feeling the metal or
wood and hardware underneath.

Some friends of mine have a trundle bed that they say is moderately
comfortable, but I've never slept in it, so I don't know for sure.

Last year, I had to sleep on a futon for a while. It was very
uncomfortable at first because the "mattress" part was too thin and I
could feel the metal underneath. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond (or
maybe it was Linens and Things) and bought a foam pad to fit underneath
the futon "mattress." That improved matters a lot. Later, I added a
second foam pad, and the futon was finally comfortable. Those foam pads
are available in pre-cut sizes to fit the size of the beds (twin, full,
queen, etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair
FDR

"chemqueries" wrote in message
oups.com...
ng_reader wrote:
[...]

Those TempurPedic mattresses sound like they might do the job. Though they
are expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Suzie-Q

-
- I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is never
- good.
-
- Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and, perhaps
- more importantly, do you know who made it?
-
- I realize this is sort of off topic, but just wondering if there isn;t
- something I should be looking for with my next sleeper sofa.
-
- Alright, its my first.
-
- TIA
-
- Mr. Curious

Are we talking about an overnight guest or long-term sleeping arrangements?

I was thinking that you could get one of those inflatable mattresses (air bed?)
and put that on top of the original sleeper sofa mattress. You can make up your
own mind whether that would be overnight or long-term! (Be careful that there
is something between the springs and the air bed so you don't cause any
punctures.)

I have two futon beds/mattresses. One is a cheap, thin mattress. I don't think
it would ever be comfortable without several additions to make it thicker. A
couple of foam pads as someone suggested might work.

The other futon mattress is 8" thick and I can tell that there is some foam in
there. It's much, much more comfortable. Still, I won't sleep on it without a
foam pad on top. (Maybe I'm just spoiled.) When it comes to futon mattresses,
thicker is better.

To answer your original question, "Is there such a thing as a comfortable
sleeper sofa?" The answer is, for sleeping, no! (For sitting, sure.)
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure.

Wife and I have an RV with a sleeper sofa in it, brand is "flexsteel".
That's a pretty common commodity brand; should be easy to find.

This one had a center bar that dropped quite a bit below the support
web when the sofa was extended.

And the support web is made of nylon straps (like seat belts are made
of, but thinner) with springs at the edges. As opposed to a wire grid
like the olden days.

We found it pretty comfortable, though a bit droopy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

ng_reader wrote:
Just posing this question out there.
I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is never
good.
Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and, perhaps
more importantly, do you know who made it?

What you need is to stop looking for a couch that converts into a bed,
and start looking for a bed that converts into a couch.
Search on the keyword "daybed".

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sure.

Wife and I have an RV with a sleeper sofa in it, brand is "flexsteel".
That's a pretty common commodity brand; should be easy to find.

This one had a center bar that dropped quite a bit below the support
web when the sofa was extended.

And the support web is made of nylon straps (like seat belts are made
of, but thinner) with springs at the edges. As opposed to a wire grid
like the olden days.

We found it pretty comfortable, though a bit droopy.

Good advice, thanks. Found them on the Internet. One of the better catch
phrases:

"This is a company with a proud history and a brilliant future."