Default What do you guys think of this thing? (heater)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

The Econoheat Panel wall heater...

It seems too good to be true - I am the guy with the unheated room on
the 2nd floor on my 100 year old colonial...

If this thing only puts out 425w and works for a 10x10 room, why not?

What is the catch? Is the product bull**** or what? (The reviews are
glowing, but all the reviewers have one review each...a little
suspicious...)

If this thing works, why not put one in all 7 rooms and turn off the
oil burner completely? I mean, if it runs on 3 cents an hour, that is
about $150 a month for the whole house, running 24 hours a day. (I
kid, I kid...)

Thoughts?

Bluesman

rck

wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

The Econoheat Panel wall heater...

It seems too good to be true - I am the guy with the unheated room on
the 2nd floor on my 100 year old colonial...

If this thing only puts out 425w and works for a 10x10 room, why not?

What is the catch? Is the product bull**** or what? (The reviews are
glowing, but all the reviewers have one review each...a little
suspicious...)

If this thing works, why not put one in all 7 rooms and turn off the
oil burner completely? I mean, if it runs on 3 cents an hour, that is
about $150 a month for the whole house, running 24 hours a day. (I
kid, I kid...)

Thoughts?

Bluesman

425 Watts is 1451 BTU. Here's a good calculator for figuring BTU needed:
http://www.heatershop.com/btu_calculator.htm

Bob

Consider Stiebel Eltron:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/ProductList.aspx?ID=488
They look sharp...

rck wrote:

425 Watts is 1451 BTU...

And power is energy? :-)

Nick

I agree, that thing is pretty cool looking...

So the Econo-heat thing is crap? They appear to have been successful
in Europe and S Africa, only recently coming to the US, so it is not
like a red neck came up with the idea for a panel heater in his
trailer...
Maybe I will drop the $70 and see what happens....

Bluesman

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree, that thing is pretty cool looking...

So the Econo-heat thing is crap? They appear to have been successful
in Europe and S Africa, only recently coming to the US, so it is not
like a red neck came up with the idea for a panel heater in his
trailer...
Maybe I will drop the $70 and see what happens....

Bluesman

It may be OK for your small room since yo are looking for a supplement to
the rest of the house. It will have the same output as four 100 watt
lightbulbs. before spending the money, put four lamps with 100 watt bls and
see if it does the job for you.

Colbyt

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree, that thing is pretty cool looking...

So the Econo-heat thing is crap? They appear to have been successful
in Europe and S Africa, only recently coming to the US, so it is not
like a red neck came up with the idea for a panel heater in his
trailer...
Maybe I will drop the $70 and see what happens....

Bluesman

It may be OK for your small room since yo are looking for a supplement to
the rest of the house. It will have the same output as four 100 watt
lightbulbs. before spending the money, put four lamps with 100 watt bls

and
see if it does the job for you.

Bluesman,

I have been following this thread. Since you like web links, I think this
unit would solve your problems in that cold room. It would be worthless in
your garage.

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...:-39551:874309

I see a cookie in that link so if it fails to display for you, go to
samsclub.com and search for "oil filled heater" without the "". It should
be the first item displayed, the safeheat oil filled radiator.

Colbyt

John Harlow

samsclub.com and search for "oil filled heater" without the "". It

Why do people buy "oil filled heaters"? Do they think they put out more
heat than a regular space heater or a light bulb?

effi

http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/electric.html
this site was enlightening, after reading it thought,,,why not just heat
with lightbulbs? now those old indoor pole lights with 3 bulbs and each bulb
with its own (heat radiating) metal housing makes some kinda weird sense
now...

thought about adding electric floor mats?
https://securessl01.websitecomplete....ore.asp?dept=6
smaller ones
http://www.cozywinters.com/cozy/?source=go

thought about any type of solar heat?

wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

The Econoheat Panel wall heater...

It seems too good to be true - I am the guy with the unheated room on
the 2nd floor on my 100 year old colonial...

If this thing only puts out 425w and works for a 10x10 room, why not?

What is the catch? Is the product bull**** or what? (The reviews are
glowing, but all the reviewers have one review each...a little
suspicious...)

If this thing works, why not put one in all 7 rooms and turn off the
oil burner completely? I mean, if it runs on 3 cents an hour, that is
about $150 a month for the whole house, running 24 hours a day. (I
kid, I kid...)

Thoughts?

Bluesman

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Harlow" wrote in message
samsclub.com and search for "oil filled heater" without the "". It

Why do people buy "oil filled heaters"? Do they think they put out more
heat than a regular space heater or a light bulb?

Beats me. A Btu is a Btu. The larger surface area of the oil filled makes
the surface less likely to burn like the old glowing coils. Can't think of
any other reason as the heat output is the same for a given wattage. .
Ed

m Ransley

For most of the=A0 U.S. electric is nearly triple the cost of gas. So
Go electric if you are rich

Martik

"m Ransley" wrote in message
For most of the U.S. electric is nearly triple the cost of gas. So
Go electric if you are rich

My heating bill with ZONED electric is approx 1/5 (20%) the cost of natural
gas. Why heat 3000 sqft when you use 400 sqft 90% of the time. We pay
6cents/KWH which is equivalent to NG from a 70% AFUE furnace. You need
approx 1 watt/cu ft for elec heat with average insulation and temerate
climate (Seattle) so a 10 x 10 x 8 room = 800 watts. Double that for the
midwest.

No Fan to fail,
No Fan to whrrrrrrrrrr
no "intense heat" source......

No fire hazard !

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:38:46 -0500, "John Harlow"
wrote:

samsclub.com and search for "oil filled heater" without the "". It

Why do people buy "oil filled heaters"? Do they think they put out more
heat than a regular space heater or a light bulb?

rj

Colby ~

Cool - I have one of those, I think it is a Pelonis, that is on a timer
in the unheated room now - it runs a couple of hours in the morning and
at night.

I was looking into the Econo-heat thing as a 24 hour non-obtrusive
solution - but I agree, the oil filled radiators work pretty well.
Thanks,

Bluesman

Sexytom976

Space heaters get instantly hot when on and instantly cold when off.
Creates uneven temperatures the you WILL notice.

Oil filled heaters retain the heat when it cycles on or off and
creates a more even temperature. Not to mention that space
heaters can catch fire pretty easily. Oil units dont have
any open elements to burn things down with.

Chip C

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

The Econoheat Panel wall heater...

It seems too good to be true - I am the guy with the unheated room on
the 2nd floor on my 100 year old colonial...

If this thing only puts out 425w and works for a 10x10 room, why not?

What is the catch? Is the product bull**** or what? (The reviews

are
glowing, but all the reviewers have one review each...a little
suspicious...)

The catch is: "heats a 10 x 10 INSULATED room". A golf cart can get you
to work on time if you live close enough. If a room is well enough
insulated, you can heat it with a candle.

425W ain't a lot. I'm sure there are rooms out there with cold corners
for which this thing is just perfect. But if your unheated room is
drafty (or since it's a 100-year-old colonial, "draughty") or has
north-facing windows, you might not find that 425W makes much of a
difference.

And any local hardware or dept store can sell you nice little
oil-filled free-standing heaters (they look like old rads, but they're
on wheels), usually switchable 750/1500 W.

Chip C

JerryMouse

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

The Econoheat Panel wall heater...

It seems too good to be true - I am the guy with the unheated room on
the 2nd floor on my 100 year old colonial...

If this thing only puts out 425w and works for a 10x10 room, why not?

What is the catch? Is the product bull**** or what? (The reviews are
glowing, but all the reviewers have one review each...a little
suspicious...)

If this thing works, why not put one in all 7 rooms and turn off the
oil burner completely? I mean, if it runs on 3 cents an hour, that is
about $150 a month for the whole house, running 24 hours a day. (I
kid, I kid...)

Thoughts?

Five 100-watt lightbulbs will put out more heat. You get light, too!

Jeff Wisnia

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

The Econoheat Panel wall heater...

It seems too good to be true - I am the guy with the unheated room on
the 2nd floor on my 100 year old colonial...

If this thing only puts out 425w and works for a 10x10 room, why not?

What is the catch? Is the product bull**** or what? (The reviews are
glowing, but all the reviewers have one review each...a little
suspicious...)

If this thing works, why not put one in all 7 rooms and turn off the
oil burner completely? I mean, if it runs on 3 cents an hour, that is
about $150 a month for the whole house, running 24 hours a day. (I
kid, I kid...)

Thoughts?

Bluesman

My thoughts are that you didn't think to tell us where you live or how
low the outside temperature gets.

That heater ought to work just great in San Paulo, but how about if it's
in Minnesota?

And, what's the nature of the insulation in your room versus the
"insulated room" they tested it in?

No one can give you a sensible answer without all the facts. As the
others have said, try four lit 100 watt lightbulbs in the room and see
if it's cozy in cold weather. That'll tell you what you want to know.

Or, just invite three friends over and see if the room stays warm while
all four of you are in it. The average human radiates about 100 watts of
heat just standing around, even more if there's an orgy in progress.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Tom Zillig

How many amps of current are already flowing through that wire in the wall?
I wouldn't want too many of those electric heaters and other appliance
loads on the same circuit,
fearing that old knob-and-tube wiring wouldn't take it if someone put a
penny
under the blown fuse to "make it go again..."

wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

The Econoheat Panel wall heater...

It seems too good to be true - I am the guy with the unheated room on
the 2nd floor on my 100 year old colonial...

If this thing only puts out 425w and works for a 10x10 room, why not?

What is the catch? Is the product bull**** or what? (The reviews are
glowing, but all the reviewers have one review each...a little
suspicious...)

If this thing works, why not put one in all 7 rooms and turn off the
oil burner completely? I mean, if it runs on 3 cents an hour, that is
about $150 a month for the whole house, running 24 hours a day. (I
kid, I kid...)

Thoughts?

Bluesman

Mac Cool

John Harlow:

Why do people buy "oil filled heaters"? Do they think they put out
more heat than a regular space heater or a light bulb?

Because you can drape your bath towel over it while showering and step out
to a nice hot towel. Awesome if you've never tried it.
--
Mac Cool

wayne

kids can touch it and not get burned as well as dogs etc..

They are not the best at warming a room but do work slowly but also safely.
I used to have electric baseboard heat with a long haired dig he would lay
against the heater and we would start to smell burning hair as his hair
would make contact with the elements inside.

If you have pets or kids the oil filled are a safe way to go you can leave
it on and not worry about leaving the room

Wayne

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
John Harlow:

Why do people buy "oil filled heaters"? Do they think they put out
more heat than a regular space heater or a light bulb?

Because you can drape your bath towel over it while showering and step out
to a nice hot towel. Awesome if you've never tried it.
--
Mac Cool

Mac Cool

wayne:

If you have pets or kids the oil filled are a safe way to go you can
leave it on and not worry about leaving the room

That's why we use ours. We have a bathroom with no heat source. So we just
turn on the oil heater and leave it on all winter.

--
Mac Cool

Whirlpool Gas Water Heater Woes mrthejab Home Repair 1 April 14th 04 09:17 AM
Choice of garage heater PoP UK diy 3 November 26th 03 11:18 PM
Hot Water Heater Still Fills Up After Draining - help Speedy Jim Home Repair 1 August 29th 03 02:48 AM