Speedy Jim

Default Hot Water Heater Still Fills Up After Draining - help

q2q2 wrote:

I have an old (14 Yr) Kenmore HWH that has been leaking for some time.
It is wet around the botton and also rusted. I have pulled the fuse
and drained the heater. I will be going without hot water until it can
be replaced. I have shut off the water supply to the heater and
drained it. The next day the heater has water in it again? How can I
compleatly drain the heater and stop the water coming into the heater
to let the floor dry? Thanks for your help.

Either the Cold inlet valve does not close completely,
OR there is a cross-connection between Hot and Cold lines.
The latter can happen inside single-handle faucets and in
the solenoid valves in the washing machine.

Close any shutoff valves to the Hot side of the washer and
any single-handle faucets. Feel the Cold inlet pipe to the
heater to tell if cold water is coming in.

Jim
q2q2

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
q2q2 wrote:

I have an old (14 Yr) Kenmore HWH that has been leaking for some time.
It is wet around the botton and also rusted. I have pulled the fuse
and drained the heater. I will be going without hot water until it can
be replaced. I have shut off the water supply to the heater and
drained it. The next day the heater has water in it again? How can I
compleatly drain the heater and stop the water coming into the heater
to let the floor dry? Thanks for your help.

Either the Cold inlet valve does not close completely,
OR there is a cross-connection between Hot and Cold lines.
The latter can happen inside single-handle faucets and in
the solenoid valves in the washing machine.

Close any shutoff valves to the Hot side of the washer and
any single-handle faucets. Feel the Cold inlet pipe to the
heater to tell if cold water is coming in.

JIM! It looks like you know your stuff thanks so much, this was making
me crazy (and wet). I shut off all the hot water faucets (to washer,
sinks, upstairs, etc) and it looks like the HW tank will empty now and
stay that way! Thanks again.

q2q2

Jim