Posted to alt.home.repair
FDR

Default Is there such a thing as a comfortable sleeper sofa?

"chemqueries" wrote in message
oups.com...
ng_reader wrote:
Just posing this question out there.
I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is
never
good.
Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and,
perhaps
more importantly, do you know who made it?

Years ago, I had a Castro Convertible sleeper sofa. Surprisingly, the
mattress was moderately comfortable for a year or so, but it rapidly
deteriorated. By the way, I've found that moving can destroy any
mattress, no matter how good it once was. I've seen movers FOLD (or
attempt to fold) mattresses. If you have a mattress that you like, and
if you plan to move, I suggest supervising the movers every step of the
way as they carry it, from the house to the truck and from the truck to
the new house. The last time I moved, I told the movers how important
the mattress was to me (it was only a few months old). I turned my back
for a minute and then started watching them again, to discover they
were attempting to bend it while walking up stairs. They coudn't have
cared less about my concerns, and this was one of the "better" moving
companies.

I'd say that one of the main causes of uncomfortable sofa beds is that
you HAVE to fold/bend the mattress each time you fold up the bed. I
don't think there's any way a mattress can survive long when it's bent
like that, even if it starts out as a fairly decent mattress. The other
problem is that, in order to fold the mattress and fit it in the sofa
frame, the mattress has to be quite thin, so it's probably not going to
be comfortable or thick enough to prevent you from feeling the metal or
wood and hardware underneath.

Some friends of mine have a trundle bed that they say is moderately
comfortable, but I've never slept in it, so I don't know for sure.

Last year, I had to sleep on a futon for a while. It was very
uncomfortable at first because the "mattress" part was too thin and I
could feel the metal underneath. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond (or
maybe it was Linens and Things) and bought a foam pad to fit underneath
the futon "mattress." That improved matters a lot. Later, I added a
second foam pad, and the futon was finally comfortable. Those foam pads
are available in pre-cut sizes to fit the size of the beds (twin, full,
queen, etc.).

Those TempurPedic mattresses sound like they might do the job. Though they
are expensive.