Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Default galvanized pipe for gas

Saw the black pipe for water question, how about the other way around?

My house has some galvanized pipe used for gas. Have had some opinions
that the gas would corrode this pipe and only black is appropriate.
The city indicated that using galvanized for gas was not a code
violation though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Check Out
http://www.keidel.com/mech/pvf/pipe-galvanized.htm

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Saw the black pipe for water question, how about the other way around?

My house has some galvanized pipe used for gas. Have had some opinions
that the gas would corrode this pipe and only black is appropriate.
The city indicated that using galvanized for gas was not a code
violation though.

--

Greetings,

Galvanized steel anything only implies a protective (zinc) coating over
the steel. Regardless of what the gas does to the coating, if
anything, I do not see why it should continue to eat away at the steel
after making its way through the coating? However, I have heard that
the zinc may cause a clog as it does corrode. I have experienced
clogged natural gas lines in the past so I know that this is not a
theoretical concern.

Hope this helps,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Years ago the stink additive reacted badly with galvanized pipe, so it was
forbidden for gas. However, so many people used galvanized anyhow that the
utilities changed their formulation so that galvanized was okay.
Around here anyhow. Check with your gas supplier and confirm it is okay
with them. Who cares if the town allows it if it will damage your furnace?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

"Ken" zab1116_at_yahoo.com wrote in message
news
Saw the black pipe for water question, how about the other way around?

My house has some galvanized pipe used for gas. Have had some opinions
that the gas would corrode this pipe and only black is appropriate.
The city indicated that using galvanized for gas was not a code
violation though.

--

I would not worry about it. Our city follows International Mechanical Code.
I wish I had my code book handy so I could cite right out of the codes, but

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is turtle

Have Water or Gas in Black pipe or Galvanized pipe makes no difference
but where you put the pipe does.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Call me chickens#!t, but I kinda thought the black pipe was softer, and
wouldn't spark nearly as easily, not that I remember ever seeing
galvanized spark. But someone will still try to attach a grounding wire
to it! Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

) said...

Check Out
http://www.keidel.com/mech/pvf/pipe-galvanized.htm

An interesting article, but here is a question I've been thinking of:

Which is better for compressed air?

I would like to run a permanent line from a location where I would like
to run the compressor (for noise reasons) to another room for use.

Years ago, I used to work in a plastics molding plant and I seem to
recall that galvanized pipe was used for the compressed air lines, but
I thought I would throw the question out here to see what opinions there
are.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

"Calvin Henry-Cotnam" wrote in message

Which is better for compressed air?

I would like to run a permanent line from a location where I would like
to run the compressor (for noise reasons) to another room for use.

Years ago, I used to work in a plastics molding plant and I seem to
recall that galvanized pipe was used for the compressed air lines, but
I thought I would throw the question out here to see what opinions there
are.

For what ever it's worth, I have never seen galvanized pipe for air in a
commercial/industrial application. Not saying it does not exist, but plain
black pipe is more common.
I see no reason why you can not use either. Today's galvanized pipe is much
cleaner than years ago so flaking should not be a concern.
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

I was always told that black iron pipe
joints are "tighter" because the threads
grind
into one another and that this doesn't
happen in galvanized pipe. Black iron was
supposed to be "softer" whatever that
means. As I said, this is what I heard.
I really
never believed/understood it..

Greg O wrote:
"Calvin Henry-Cotnam" wrote in message

Which is better for compressed air?

I would like to run a permanent line from a location where I would like
to run the compressor (for noise reasons) to another room for use.

Years ago, I used to work in a plastics molding plant and I seem to
recall that galvanized pipe was used for the compressed air lines, but
I thought I would throw the question out here to see what opinions there
are.

For what ever it's worth, I have never seen galvanized pipe for air in a
commercial/industrial application. Not saying it does not exist, but plain
black pipe is more common.
I see no reason why you can not use either. Today's galvanized pipe is much
cleaner than years ago so flaking should not be a concern.
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
t...
I was always told that black iron pipe joints are "tighter" because the
threads grind
into one another and that this doesn't happen in galvanized pipe. Black
iron was
supposed to be "softer" whatever that means. As I said, this is what I
heard. I really
never believed/understood it..

Sounds like BS to me. When you cut threads on galvanized pipe it cuts off
the galvanized coating, leaving bare metal, same as black pipe.
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Art Todesco" wrote in message
t...
I was always told that black iron pipe joints are "tighter" because the
threads grind
into one another and that this doesn't happen in galvanized pipe. Black
iron was
supposed to be "softer" whatever that means. As I said, this is what I
heard. I really
never believed/understood it..

Sounds like BS to me. When you cut threads on galvanized pipe it cuts off
the galvanized coating, leaving bare metal, same as black pipe.
Greg

yea..but you are talking about two different metals too...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Art Todesco" wrote in message
t...
I was always told that black iron pipe joints are "tighter" because the
threads grind
into one another and that this doesn't happen in galvanized pipe. Black
iron was
supposed to be "softer" whatever that means. As I said, this is what I
heard. I really
never believed/understood it..

Sounds like BS to me. When you cut threads on galvanized pipe it cuts off
the galvanized coating, leaving bare metal, same as black pipe.
Greg

yea..but you are talking about two different metals too...

Really? My understanding is galvanized is nothing more than plated black
pipe.
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Art Todesco" wrote in message
t...
I was always told that black iron pipe joints are "tighter" because the
threads grind
into one another and that this doesn't happen in galvanized pipe.
Black iron was
supposed to be "softer" whatever that means. As I said, this is what I
heard. I really
never believed/understood it..

Sounds like BS to me. When you cut threads on galvanized pipe it cuts
off the galvanized coating, leaving bare metal, same as black pipe.
Greg

yea..but you are talking about two different metals too...

Really? My understanding is galvanized is nothing more than plated black
pipe.
Greg

Weigh em....
You will find the iron black will weigh much more..LOL

Of course, I dont mess with it much anymore...still got my threaders and all
that good stuff, but now, stainless is the way to go..we recently did a 3
story instituion, 5 units, and had all the gas piping RAN, in under 4
hours..two guys. Thats secured, ran, and all we had to do was put fittings
on each end, and connect.
I like that stuff....black pipe, ran the same way, would have taken about 3
days for two men to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Tom , They figured out what why the pipe weas sparking and it was not
being grounded by using teflon tape and not liquid teflon. The teflon
tape would not let the two pipes touch each other to comp-lete the
grounds. teflon tape is banded in moset refinerry plants in the oil
field. coating is the difference in the two pipes also.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
[...]

We don't do much rigid pipe any more either. The last couple large
commercial jobs we did all the NG in copper pipe using ProPress. We do some
boiler work so the ProPress comes in handy for that, then they came out with
fittings for gas, and the local inspector says if it is listed, go for it!
It is about even cost wise, but much faster.

http://www.ridgid.com/propresssystem/

We do a fair amount of SST, but on industrial, heavy commercial work the
inspector will not allow it.
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
[...]

Why wont your inspector allow it? Its certified in all lower 48 for use in
commercial work.
IF you want, ill pop you a mail with the local regional reps name, and he
will check into it, or put you in touch with someone that will, and get you
a definitive answer why.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
[...]

We can use SST in commercial situations, office buildings, small warehouses,
that type of thing but not in a heavy equipment repair shop for example. No
big deal, we just use what we can, and bill accordingly!
Greg

In Deep Sh*t.... Lobster UK diy 9 August 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Leaking Soil Pipe? andrewpreece UK diy 8 July 29th 05 05:13 PM
oily taste in galvanized pipe. How to best remove it? David Jensen Home Repair 7 July 29th 05 03:44 PM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Sewer line replacement jeff Home Ownership 1 August 27th 03 03:24 AM