David Jensen

Default oily taste in galvanized pipe. How to best remove it?

I put a drinking fountain on the end of a 4' prethreaded galvanized pipe
from Home Depot. I used the galvanized so that it would stand up on its own
in the yard. The 4' galvanized pipe is fed with PVC. The water from the
drinking fountain head continues to taste oily even though I've flushed it
with several minutes of water. I'm pretty sure that the oily taste is from
oil in the pipe when I bought it at HD. I think it gets the oil in in from
cutting the threads in on each end of the pipe.

What should I do to remove the oily taste from the pipe? It seems like
disassembling it and putting some kind of bottle brush and soap would be
quite an effort. There must be better way. How would a plumber do it?

Thanks.

--
David Jensen
Change the xx in my email address to MJ for my real email address. Thanks.

Duane Bozarth

David Jensen wrote:
...How would a plumber do it?

Woulda' done it first, if at all. Let it run, it'll eventually go
away as there's no practical way once it's installed. I suppose you
could take the faucet/fixture off the top and use a stiff rod w/ some
scrubbing arrangement, but I'd not bother...
Sacramento Dave

"David Jensen" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

let the water run . Like mentioned take it apart and clean it. If you go

that far order a piece of stainless steel pipe or Type K cooper.

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Edwin Pawlowski

"David Jensen" wrote in message

What should I do to remove the oily taste from the pipe? It seems like
disassembling it and putting some kind of bottle brush and soap would be
quite an effort. There must be better way. How would a plumber do it?

Thanks.

He'd disassemble it and put some kind of bottle brush and soap in it. Aside
from letting the water run for a long time, there really is no other
solution. It will eventually go away but could take many gallons of water.

Robert Barr

David Jensen wrote:
I put a drinking fountain on the end of a 4' prethreaded galvanized pipe
from Home Depot. I used the galvanized so that it would stand up on its own
in the yard. The 4' galvanized pipe is fed with PVC. The water from the
drinking fountain head continues to taste oily even though I've flushed it
with several minutes of water. I'm pretty sure that the oily taste is from
oil in the pipe when I bought it at HD. I think it gets the oil in in from
cutting the threads in on each end of the pipe.

What should I do to remove the oily taste from the pipe? It seems like
disassembling it and putting some kind of bottle brush and soap would be
quite an effort. There must be better way. How would a plumber do it?

Thanks.

I replaced some pipe to my sink for the hard (drinking) water outlet,
using galvanized pipe from HD. Chinese import. The water that would
stand in the pipe overnight always, always smelled and tasted horrible.
Very strong smell & taste.

I pulled the length of pipe (2 feet, I think) and scrubbed it with a
shotgun cleaning brush and some dish soap. Rinsed thoroughly.
Reinstalled. No help.

After two months, I gave up and replaced the galvanized with PVC.

I realize the PVC isn't an option for you, but perhaps a different
source for your galvanized or iron pipe would do it. I had never had
problems like this with galvanized before.
Norminn

clipped

After two months, I gave up and replaced the galvanized with PVC.

I realize the PVC isn't an option for you, but perhaps a different
source for your galvanized or iron pipe would do it. I had never had
problems like this with galvanized before.

It may be wise for the OP to replace the galvanized and everything
beyond it, as the oil will have coated what it touched on it's way out.
Yuck. Given that it could be coated with waste oil, it may not be the
healthiest stuff to ingest.