Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

Default galvanized pipe for gas

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Art Todesco" wrote in message
t...
I was always told that black iron pipe joints are "tighter" because
the threads grind
into one another and that this doesn't happen in galvanized pipe.
Black iron was
supposed to be "softer" whatever that means. As I said, this is
what I heard. I really
never believed/understood it..

Sounds like BS to me. When you cut threads on galvanized pipe it cuts
off the galvanized coating, leaving bare metal, same as black pipe.
Greg

yea..but you are talking about two different metals too...

Really? My understanding is galvanized is nothing more than plated
black pipe.
Greg

Weigh em....
You will find the iron black will weigh much more..LOL

Of course, I dont mess with it much anymore...still got my threaders and
all that good stuff, but now, stainless is the way to go..we recently
did a 3 story instituion, 5 units, and had all the gas piping RAN, in
under 4 hours..two guys. Thats secured, ran, and all we had to do was
put fittings on each end, and connect.
I like that stuff....black pipe, ran the same way, would have taken
about 3 days for two men to do.

We don't do much rigid pipe any more either. The last couple large
commercial jobs we did all the NG in copper pipe using ProPress. We do
some boiler work so the ProPress comes in handy for that, then they came
out with fittings for gas, and the local inspector says if it is listed,
go for it! It is about even cost wise, but much faster.

http://www.ridgid.com/propresssystem/

We do a fair amount of SST, but on industrial, heavy commercial work the
inspector will not allow it.
Greg

Why wont your inspector allow it? Its certified in all lower 48 for use in
commercial work.
IF you want, ill pop you a mail with the local regional reps name, and he
will check into it, or put you in touch with someone that will, and get
you a definitive answer why.

We can use SST in commercial situations, office buildings, small warehouses,
that type of thing but not in a heavy equipment repair shop for example. No
big deal, we just use what we can, and bill accordingly!
Greg