Posted to alt.home.repair

Default galvanized pipe for gas

Ken wrote:
Saw the black pipe for water question, how about the other way around?

My house has some galvanized pipe used for gas. Have had some opinions
that the gas would corrode this pipe and only black is appropriate.
The city indicated that using galvanized for gas was not a code
violation though.

--

Greetings,

Galvanized steel anything only implies a protective (zinc) coating over
the steel. Regardless of what the gas does to the coating, if
anything, I do not see why it should continue to eat away at the steel
after making its way through the coating? However, I have heard that
the zinc may cause a clog as it does corrode. I have experienced
clogged natural gas lines in the past so I know that this is not a
theoretical concern.

Hope this helps,
William