Yanni Appleseed

Default How to keep nuts attached to bolts

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

The Reverend Natural Light

Try a motorcycle shop for metric hardware.

Or use two nuts per bolt and tighten one against the other. With or
without a lock washer between.

Or lock tite.

Or peen the edge of the nut against the bolt.

Safety wire.

Cotter pin.

Epoxy.

Weld.

Braze.

etc.

rastus

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:20:42 +0000, Yanni Appleseed wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Lock-Tite, or get a few same sized nuts, thread them on to the
bolt, tighten the two nuts together. Or drill the bolt after the
nut and safety wire it. Lots of different way to do this.

louie

Or a lock-washer

Any other suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently?

Can't you leave it outside over the winter? Rust works well for
non-stainless nuts & bolts.

Jim Yanik

rastus wrote in
news
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:20:42 +0000, Yanni Appleseed wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Lock-Tite, or get a few same sized nuts, thread them on to the
bolt, tighten the two nuts together. Or drill the bolt after the
nut and safety wire it. Lots of different way to do this.

Just slightly dinging the bolt threads acts as a locker.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
DJ

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:20:42 GMT, Yanni Appleseed
wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Metric nylocs should not be that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure my
local Ace Hardware store has them, maybe HD and/or Lowes too.

DJ
fish

1. RED loctite.

OR

2. Split the tips of the bolts, after the nuts are on, with a cold
chisel and hammer.

hth
Fish

wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Toller

"FDR" wrote in message

"Yanni Appleseed" wrote in message
All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other
than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Loc Tite

Is Loc Tite permanent? I have some loose bolt on my car, that hold the
door strike. I tighten them, and two weeks later they are falling out. I
don't want to glue them, cause I don't think it should be permanent; but if
Loc Tite will keep them together, but still allow them to be removed, it
will be great.

Yanni Appleseed

Yanni Appleseed wrote in

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Thanks for the responses I will try some of them. I may end up doing the
rust haha.
Yanni Appleseed

DJ wrote in
:

wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Metric nylocs should not be that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure my
local Ace Hardware store has them, maybe HD and/or Lowes too.

DJ

My Home Depot had the metric nuts squirreled away in the 'hard to find
parts' drawers. Didn't see any metric nylocs though. Don't know about Ace
or Lowes. I'll look next time I'm in the area.
ameijers

"Yanni Appleseed" wrote in message
DJ wrote in
:

wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Metric nylocs should not be that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure my
local Ace Hardware store has them, maybe HD and/or Lowes too.

DJ

My Home Depot had the metric nuts squirreled away in the 'hard to find
parts' drawers. Didn't see any metric nylocs though. Don't know about

Ace
or Lowes. I'll look next time I'm in the area.

Lock washers? A dab of Permatex? A sharp punch and peening? Why do you care
if the nut is easily removable? Even superglue would easily remove under the
torque of a wrench.

aem sends...

Warren Weber

"Toller" wrote in message

"FDR" wrote in message

"Yanni Appleseed" wrote in message
All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight,
so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other
than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Loc Tite

Is Loc Tite permanent? I have some loose bolt on my car, that hold the
door strike. I tighten them, and two weeks later they are falling out. I
don't want to glue them, cause I don't think it should be permanent; but
if Loc Tite will keep them together, but still allow them to be removed,
it will be great.

There is 2 Locktites Red and Blue. One is permant and the other you can get
apart. Check your NAPA or other named auto parts store. W W