DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to keep nuts attached to bolts (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/129388-how-keep-nuts-attached-bolts.html)

Yanni Appleseed November 14th 05 07:20 PM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

The Reverend Natural Light November 14th 05 07:29 PM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

Try a motorcycle shop for metric hardware.

Or use two nuts per bolt and tighten one against the other. With or
without a lock washer between.

Or lock tite.

Or peen the edge of the nut against the bolt.

Safety wire.

Cotter pin.

Epoxy.

Weld.

Braze.

etc.

rastus November 14th 05 07:32 PM

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:20:42 +0000, Yanni Appleseed wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Lock-Tite, or get a few same sized nuts, thread them on to the
bolt, tighten the two nuts together. Or drill the bolt after the
nut and safety wire it. Lots of different way to do this.

louie November 14th 05 08:56 PM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

Or a lock-washer

[email protected] November 14th 05 09:44 PM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

Any other suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently?

Can't you leave it outside over the winter? Rust works well for
non-stainless nuts & bolts.

Jim Yanik November 14th 05 11:26 PM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

rastus wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:20:42 +0000, Yanni Appleseed wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Lock-Tite, or get a few same sized nuts, thread them on to the
bolt, tighten the two nuts together. Or drill the bolt after the
nut and safety wire it. Lots of different way to do this.

Just slightly dinging the bolt threads acts as a locker.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

DJ November 15th 05 12:33 AM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:20:42 GMT, Yanni Appleseed
wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Metric nylocs should not be that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure my
local Ace Hardware store has them, maybe HD and/or Lowes too.

DJ

fish November 15th 05 12:51 AM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

1. RED loctite.

OR

2. Split the tips of the bolts, after the nuts are on, with a cold
chisel and hammer.

hth
Fish

Toller November 15th 05 12:56 AM

"FDR" wrote in message

"Yanni Appleseed" wrote in message
All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight, so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other
than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Loc Tite

Is Loc Tite permanent? I have some loose bolt on my car, that hold the
door strike. I tighten them, and two weeks later they are falling out. I
don't want to glue them, cause I don't think it should be permanent; but if
Loc Tite will keep them together, but still allow them to be removed, it
will be great.

Yanni Appleseed November 15th 05 01:32 AM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

Yanni Appleseed wrote in

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Thanks for the responses I will try some of them. I may end up doing the
rust haha.

Yanni Appleseed November 15th 05 01:34 AM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

DJ wrote in
:

wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Metric nylocs should not be that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure my
local Ace Hardware store has them, maybe HD and/or Lowes too.

DJ

My Home Depot had the metric nuts squirreled away in the 'hard to find
parts' drawers. Didn't see any metric nylocs though. Don't know about Ace
or Lowes. I'll look next time I'm in the area.

ameijers November 15th 05 02:24 AM

How to keep nuts attached to bolts

"Yanni Appleseed" wrote in message
DJ wrote in
:

wrote:

All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor
Freight, so finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other
suggestions other than super gluing them together permanently? Or a
place to get metric sized nyloc nuts?

Metric nylocs should not be that hard to come by, I'm pretty sure my
local Ace Hardware store has them, maybe HD and/or Lowes too.

DJ

My Home Depot had the metric nuts squirreled away in the 'hard to find
parts' drawers. Didn't see any metric nylocs though. Don't know about

Ace
or Lowes. I'll look next time I'm in the area.

Lock washers? A dab of Permatex? A sharp punch and peening? Why do you care
if the nut is easily removable? Even superglue would easily remove under the
torque of a wrench.

aem sends...

Warren Weber November 15th 05 02:46 AM

"Toller" wrote in message

"FDR" wrote in message

"Yanni Appleseed" wrote in message
All joking aside, my nuts keep working their way off my bolts. The
bolts
in question are metric sized from a handtruck I got at Harbor Freight,
so
finding nyloc-nuts for them is difficult. Any other suggestions other
than
super gluing them together permanently? Or a place to get metric sized
nyloc nuts?

Loc Tite

Is Loc Tite permanent? I have some loose bolt on my car, that hold the
door strike. I tighten them, and two weeks later they are falling out. I
don't want to glue them, cause I don't think it should be permanent; but
if Loc Tite will keep them together, but still allow them to be removed,
it will be great.

There is 2 Locktites Red and Blue. One is permant and the other you can get
apart. Check your NAPA or other named auto parts store. W W

James \Cubby\ Culbertson November 15th 05 07:03 AM

"Warren Weber" hiview68NO wrote in message

There is 2 Locktites Red and Blue. One is permant and the other you can
get apart. Check your NAPA or other named auto parts store. W W

There are actually a rather large number of LocTites out there. Everything
from locking down bolts/nuts to sealing threads. The red and blue are the
most common. Neither are permanent. Blue will do about 90% of what you
need and you can loosen bolts/nuts with a bit of muscle. The red requires
you to heat the parts prior to applying muscle although I've found I can
usually break apart the red without heat. Red would be used for those
parts you don't plan to remove on a regular basis!
Cheers,
cc
ps. Interestingly enough, the "Red" comes in a blue bottle....go figure...