Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Mounting On Concrete Wall

Hi, Everybody,

I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have
satellite teevee dishes, so there shouldn't be any
objections.

I'm not sure of all the layers on top, but I think that
the building is basically made of concrete blocks.

Do I need a special drill bit?

And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used?
The panel needs to be stable, and stay on in strong
winds, but is fairly light (maybe just a few kilos?)

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
tom

Someone wrote: I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have satellite teevee
dishes, so there shouldn't be any objections.I'm not sure of all the
layers on top, but I think that the building is basically made of
concrete blocks.Do I need a special drill bit?
And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used? The panel needs to
be stable, and stay on in strong winds, but is fairly light (maybe just
a few kilos?)

First, you need your Landlord's permission. Then, if okay, you'll want
a hammer drill, and a masonry bit of the correct size for your
fasteners. Think about where in the block you're drilling, and mount
your panel accordingly. Tom

SteveB

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" wrote in message
Hi, Everybody,

I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have
satellite teevee dishes, so there shouldn't be any
objections.

I'm not sure of all the layers on top, but I think that
the building is basically made of concrete blocks.

Do I need a special drill bit?

And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used?
The panel needs to be stable, and stay on in strong
winds, but is fairly light (maybe just a few kilos?)

Thanks...

Use a masonry drill, and sleeve anchors. If the concrete blocks are
grouted, you can drill in anywhere. If they are not, you must drill in
where you will hit block .... at the ends or in the middle.

Be careful with sleeve anchors. Get your hole as deep as you need it. Put
the drill in and out a few times to clear out the debris from drilling. You
will get only one chance to get it right.

Steve

Phstpok

tom stubbed out the damp squib on 4/08/2005 2:12 p.m.and tried to bring
to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
Someone wrote: I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have satellite teevee
dishes, so there shouldn't be any objections.I'm not sure of all the
layers on top, but I think that the building is basically made of
concrete blocks.Do I need a special drill bit?
And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used? The panel needs to
be stable, and stay on in strong winds, but is fairly light (maybe just
a few kilos?)

First, you need your Landlord's permission. Then, if okay, you'll want
a hammer drill, and a masonry bit of the correct size for your
fasteners. Think about where in the block you're drilling, and mount
your panel accordingly. Tom

and there are quite a few mounting options, most involving a plug in the
concrete that expands as you tighten the bolt.

See your loal hardware shop.
SteveB

"Phstpok" wrote in message

[...]

Or just do what everyone else does ........ get a couple of nails, a hammer,
and Get - R - Done!

steve

sno

When I did not want to drill into cement block walls have used
small blocks of wood epoxied to the block...and then screwed
into the blocks....

They lasted for years...

hope helps...have fun.....sno

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

Hi, Everybody,

I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have
satellite teevee dishes, so there shouldn't be any
objections.

I'm not sure of all the layers on top, but I think that
the building is basically made of concrete blocks.

Do I need a special drill bit?

And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used?
The panel needs to be stable, and stay on in strong
winds, but is fairly light (maybe just a few kilos?)

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Credit Tools, Reference, and Forum

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)
Roger_Nickel

Tony wrote:
On 3 Aug 2005 19:12:30 -0700, "tom" wrote:

Someone wrote: I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have satellite teevee
dishes, so there shouldn't be any objections.I'm not sure of all the
layers on top, but I think that the building is basically made of
concrete blocks.Do I need a special drill bit?
And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used? The panel needs to
be stable, and stay on in strong winds, but is fairly light (maybe just
a few kilos?)

First, you need your Landlord's permission. Then, if okay, you'll want
a hammer drill, and a masonry bit of the correct size for your
fasteners. Think about where in the block you're drilling, and mount
your panel accordingly. Tom

He could glue it on..

Those Silicon rubber stuff (RTV) ? is very good or may be the no more nails
etc.,.

The glue will only be as strong as the bond between the paint and the wall. If
he lives in Wellington he can say goodbye to his solar panel when the first
serious storm comes along.
Roger_Nickel

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
Hi, Everybody,

I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have
satellite teevee dishes, so there shouldn't be any
objections.

I'm not sure of all the layers on top, but I think that
the building is basically made of concrete blocks.

Do I need a special drill bit?

And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used?
The panel needs to be stable, and stay on in strong
winds, but is fairly light (maybe just a few kilos?)

Thanks...

If the wall is plastered then drill a small test hole first. Some new concrete
block buildings are plastered with about 40mm of a lightweight insulating
plaster containing polystyrene beads or sometimes perlite. It's not a super
strong material and mounting bolts will need to go through into the concrete
behind. If you live in Wellington the concrete blocks will be reinforced and
grout filled for earthquake resistance, so no worries there. Take a look at how
the neighbours TV dishes are mounted. Use proper galvanised dynabolts or
similar, 10mm will be about right, these will require about a 13 mm hole and you
will need a hammer drill and masonary bit. If all this sounds excessive then try
holding that panel up in a 60 knot gale or if you can't wait for that then try
holding the thing out the window of your car while someone else drives you
along the motorway at 120 Kph in the dead of night. If you want to be strictly
legal in NZ you need to design for a windspeed of 180Kph
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

tom wrote:
Someone wrote: I am considering mounting a small solar panel to the
outside of my (rented) flat. The neighbours have satellite teevee
dishes, so there shouldn't be any objections.I'm not sure of all the
layers on top, but I think that the building is basically made of
concrete blocks.Do I need a special drill bit?
And what sort of anchoring fixtures should be used? The panel needs to
be stable, and stay on in strong winds, but is fairly light (maybe just
a few kilos?)

First, you need your Landlord's permission. Then, if okay, you'll want
a hammer drill, and a masonry bit of the correct size for your
fasteners. Think about where in the block you're drilling, and mount
your panel accordingly. Tom

if he uses a hammer drill, then he will need a hammer drill bit. A
masonry bit is different and goes in a regular drill. Unless they have
masonry bits for hammer drills which I didnt see when I bought my bit.

if no hammer drill just get regular drill with masonry bit and expect to
be drilling for about 10 minutes.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html
MTLnews

If you use and SDS chuck style hammer drill, then I agree.
However for a simple job like this, I've frequently used any el-cheapo
masonary bits with my el-cheapo hammer drill. Sure beets using them with a
regular drill.
OK fine, the masonary bit won't last too long, but who cares for el-cheapo
bits anyhow.. They last long enough to justify thier price...

Get a few anchor bolts, make a template of your hole layout, use the right
sized drill (depending on anchor size), make your holes in your concrete
surface, insert sleave/bold into hole, place your panel over it and tighten
in place with washers and nuts... It isn't going anywhere even in a
storm... To assure no water leakage, insert some silicon in the holes
before insertsing anchor bolt/sleave to keap the water from seeping in.

Good Luck..
-Tony

wall Mounting an LCD Bouffont UK diy 16 May 20th 05 09:29 PM
Wall mounting a LCD/plasma TV mike UK diy 4 March 18th 05 12:25 PM
Digging into Concrete and Removing Brick Wall Richard UK diy 3 September 27th 04 10:34 AM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 09:35 PM