Old July 18th 05, 10:14 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Removing Carrier outside panels

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Old July 18th 05, 10:24 PM
Oscar_Lives

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due
to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the top. What's the correct procedure here?

You need to call a professional service technician. Don't **** with it, you
might blow yourself up.

Old July 18th 05, 10:40 PM
Doug Kanter

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s72...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac
didn't work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust,
probably due to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the top. What's the correct procedure here?

You need to call a professional service technician. Don't **** with it,
you might blow yourself up.

By removing the cover from a unit whose circuit breaker is shut off? Are
they rigged with explosives?

Old July 18th 05, 10:44 PM
[email protected]_my_sig_for_address.com

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:14:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Call a service company.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

Old July 18th 05, 10:59 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Call a service company.

For this particular service, that ain't gonna happen. If cleaning doesn't
make a little improvement in performance, THEN my heating contractor will be
called.

Old July 19th 05, 12:22 AM
Jabs

Doug,
You have already received excellent answered from field experts here.
However, if you think they are bull****ting you;
Read about the outdoor coil on page 4.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/om38-29.pdf

Then read what an expert would do on page 2 of this link.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...lit/38-1sm.pdf

Jabs

Old July 19th 05, 12:40 AM
Doug Kanter

Thanks. No time to read it at the moment, but I appreciate the response. I'd
rather have REASONS, instead of just "don't". Given good reasons, I probably
won't touch it.

Old July 19th 05, 01:46 AM
George E. Cawthon

Doug Kanter wrote:
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Take the top off. Don't know what the 4 screws in
the middle are for, but it is unlikely that the
fan is screwed to the top. Take the screws off
around the periphery and then tap up.

You really shouldn't need to take it apart just
wash with a stream wherever you can.
Old July 19th 05, 02:45 AM
Vicki Szaszvari

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

First of all, spraying it with the hose can just push the stuff deeper
into the fins. You need a foaming coil cleaning for that, or (after
turning power off to it) take the top off and spray it from the inside.

But you would be doing your unit a favor by keeping the weeds and grass
away from it.