Doug Kanter

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac
didn't work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust,
probably due to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the top. What's the correct procedure here?

Take the top off. Don't know what the 4 screws in the middle are for, but
it is unlikely that the fan is screwed to the top. Take the screws off
around the periphery and then tap up.

You really shouldn't need to take it apart just wash with a stream
wherever you can.

I'm thinking of washing from the inside because the air's pulling the crap
in from the outside of the fins. So, I wonder if a stream strong enough
(from the outside) might force water into electrical stuff that, even though
it's meant to be outdoors, isn't designed for a horizontal hosing. I
dunno...