Vicki Szaszvari

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy,
so I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac
didn't work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust,
probably due to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps
the side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first
taking off the top. What's the correct procedure here?

Take the top off. Don't know what the 4 screws in the middle are for,
but it is unlikely that the fan is screwed to the top. Take the screws
off around the periphery and then tap up.

You really shouldn't need to take it apart just wash with a stream
wherever you can.

First of all, spraying it with the hose can just push the stuff deeper
into the fins. You need a foaming coil cleaning for that, or (after
turning power off to it) take the top off and spray it from the inside.

But you would be doing your unit a favor by keeping the weeds and grass
away from it.