KTECH

Default Air Conditioning

This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the day.
I have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to ward off the
sun the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as hard.Any ideas?
Frank

Pop

"KTECH" wrote in message
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure
of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a
good part of the day. I have often thought that by
making some sort of a covering to ward off the sun
the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as
hard.Any ideas?
Frank

No ideas off the top of my head, but ... yes, getting
the sun off an air conditioner will make it work better
and more effieicntly. The trick though is not to block
any air flow.
It varies from unit to unit, but it can be done. I
had some noticeable luck and a measured increse in the
cooled air temp of a few degrees just by putting
mirror-film on the case of one of mine, a 10k btu unit.
Since the western sun hits it both from the top and the
west-side directly it was hard to figure any way to get
the sun off it without stopping some air flow.
The tree I finally planted does a great job now,
after only a few years.
BTW, it only took the film idea a few weeks to get
so dirty it didn't reflect anymore so it's not a good
answer.
I suppose there are ways to do it with properly
positioned louvres but that's beyond my abilities g.
The tree worked best in the long run, for me at least.
Also shades part of the hosue of course.

HTH

Pop

"KTECH" wrote in message
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the

day.
I have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to ward off

the
sun the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as hard.Any ideas?
Frank

No...wont make any difference you will ever see.
Want proof? Just look at the millions of units in CA, NV etc that are
installed on rooftops....and yes, I started working in the deserts of CA in
HVAC, and I can promise you, the units are designed to be outside, in the
sun...and work.

Greg O

"KTECH" wrote in message
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the day.
I have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to ward off
the sun the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as hard.Any ideas?
Frank

The cost of any cover will be more than any return you will see in
efficiency. Plus you want the AC to be in the open as much as possible to
get good air flow around and above the unit. Good chance a roof over it
would block the air flow enough to be counter productive!
Leave it alone!
Greg

Joseph Meehan

KTECH wrote:
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the
day. I have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to
ward off the sun the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as
hard.Any ideas? Frank

Not likely. The AC is looking for Air temp and that is not going to be
much different with or without shade. In fact if the shade reduces the air
flow, it will increase operating expense.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Harry K

Joseph Meehan wrote:
KTECH wrote:
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the
day. I have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to
ward off the sun the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as
hard.Any ideas? Frank

Not likely. The AC is looking for Air temp and that is not going to be
much different with or without shade. In fact if the shade reduces the air
flow, it will increase operating expense.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Then there is the effect that the condenser is buried in the housing,
not being hit directly by the sun. As soon as the unit kicks on (or
very soon thereafter) the interior of that housing is going to be at
the ambient air temp anyhow. The heat exchangers (radiators) will also
reach operating temperature whether the sun hits them or not.

Harry K

TURTLE

"KTECH" wrote in message
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the day. I
have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to ward off the sun
the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as hard.Any ideas?
Frank

This is Turtle

This question has been ask at least a 100 times that i know of and here is what
was said just about everytime.

The HVAC People and some manufactors say it makes very little difference as to
sun hitting it or not. Now when they say that it is on the thought that it will
run just fine but at a little higher head pressure which will cost a little bit
more to operate the system. This will come from the ground, unit, and area
around the unit will be heated up and will be putting off heat to be sucked into
the condenser coil which will be a little higher temperature than if it was
setting in the shade. Now this small amount of added heat is small but may not
justify any cost to build a shade cover for it but shading may not be cost
effective but it does save a little money to shade it.

I researched it over the internet and came up with a few good sights that said
it saved money but none said how much. Now here is one from the Florida Public
Service Commision on 101 ways to save on your electric bill. Check out Artical
number 53 to see about condenser in the sun.
http://www.floridapsc.com/general/pu.../101summer.cfm

TURTLE

Richard J Kinch

TURTLE writes:

I researched it over the internet ...

You don't need any research.

Just put your clamp-on ammeter on the compressor, and hold up a big sheet
of something lightweight to turn the shade on and off. Does it register
anything on the meter when you do so?

Would like to hear your results.
Stormin Mormon

My understanding of things, shade is cooler. However, I've seen one study
where they did one test (two houses, one in the shade) and found less than
5% savings.

I'd go wtih the shade, as long as it isn't blocking the air flow.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"KTECH" wrote in message
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the day.
I have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to ward off the
sun the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as hard.Any ideas?
Frank

Stormin Mormon

I'm guessing with as large a mass, it would take an hour or so to make any
readable difference.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
TURTLE writes:

I researched it over the internet ...

You don't need any research.

Just put your clamp-on ammeter on the compressor, and hold up a big sheet
of something lightweight to turn the shade on and off. Does it register
anything on the meter when you do so?

Would like to hear your results.

TURTLE

TURTLE writes:

I researched it over the internet ...

You don't need any research.

Just put your clamp-on ammeter on the compressor, and hold up a big sheet
of something lightweight to turn the shade on and off. Does it register
anything on the meter when you do so?

Would like to hear your results.

This is Turtle.

Hummmm , I will try this in the next day or two while working on the systems.
I'll get back to you.

TURTLE

FChoquette

Instantaneous current mesurement isn't the answer. When the compressor
is running, it always requires the same power. But maybe it will run
less often to keep the set point...

Watt hour meter is the required device to compare for example, two
similar weeks temperature.

Frank

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Richard J Kinch

Stormin Mormon writes:

I'm guessing with as large a mass, it would take an hour or so to make
any readable difference.

If the input of radiant energy of sunlight makes any difference, it would
have to exhibit a quick response in this system.

RP

FChoquette wrote:

Instantaneous current mesurement isn't the answer. When the compressor
is running, it always requires the same power.

Where in the hell did you get that stupid notion from?

hvacrmedic

But maybe it will run
less often to keep the set point...

Watt hour meter is the required device to compare for example, two
similar weeks temperature.

Frank

Stormin Mormon

Ignorance, d'you think?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RP" wrote in message

FChoquette wrote:

Instantaneous current mesurement isn't the answer. When the compressor
is running, it always requires the same power.

Where in the hell did you get that stupid notion from?

hvacrmedic

Stormin Mormon

Actually, compressor current draw can be more or less. Depending on the
load, back pressure, over or under charged, etc. It really is a variable.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"FChoquette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Instantaneous current mesurement isn't the answer. When the compressor
is running, it always requires the same power. But maybe it will run
less often to keep the set point...

Watt hour meter is the required device to compare for example, two
similar weeks temperature.

Frank

Like to lower your Air Conditioning Utility Bills? udarrell Home Repair 7 May 16th 05 12:40 AM
DIY Air conditioning - some information! Al UK diy 10 May 9th 05 04:06 PM
Air conditioning Hugh UK diy 139 April 14th 05 04:55 PM
TURN OFF AIR CONDITIONING POWER Howie Home Repair 7 October 28th 04 04:29 PM
Air Conditioning Problem? WORSS Home Repair 13 September 8th 04 07:27 PM