WORSS

Default Air Conditioning Problem?

Hi,

I have a dilema and need some advice. This past winter I had the furnace
serviced....just the normal annual cleaning. While working on my system,
the technician said I should have someone look at the central air in the
spring since he saw some corrosion on one of the copper tubes.

In the spring, I had another technician service the AC. He added 1 lb of
freon (first time in 5 years) and said the system was working normally. My
wife then mentioned the "potenial leak" and he then did a leak check. He
then said he found a leak. Specifically, he wrote:

"Leak search indoor coil found leak in rt. side of A-coil @ end loops - also
possible leak in coil instelf also rt. side"

He quoted us $903 to replace the coil.

I talked to him and we agreed to see if we could wait until next year to do
the work. I have used the air conditioning all summer without any problems.
Now I am being transferred and have to fill out a disclosure regarding my
house. If I really have an air conditioning problem, I am obligated to say
so.

My dilema:

1) I am not really convinced I have a problem since the air conditioning
has been working fine since May. The technician only found the problem
after we had him look for a leak.

2) I only paid $3000 for the total air conditioning system. $900 seems
like a lot to replace a coil.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Bill

Oscar_Lives

"WORSS" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You are a tight-ass. You want 1/2 of your $3000 air conditioner replaced
and you are whining about $900?

Too bad you posted your story in a public forum. Now you HAVE to disclose
the defect.

Fool!

Edwin Pawlowski

"WORSS" wrote in message

1) I am not really convinced I have a problem since the air conditioning
has been working fine since May. The technician only found the problem
after we had him look for a leak.

Just because it worked for a while does not meat thee is not a small leak.
It may take until next spring to leak enough to stop working. It was a mild
summer here and a drop off of efficency may not be noticed. Get it checked
again if you think the first guy was wrong.

2) I only paid $3000 for the total air conditioning system. $900 seems
like a lot to replace a coil.

So? I once bought a car for $15. It cost me $150 to rebuild the engine.
See, you don't have it so bad.

American Mechanical

"WORSS" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Not out of the ordinary, get a second opinion if you're concerned.

2) I only paid $3000 for the total air conditioning system. $900 seems
like a lot to replace a coil.

Repairs are usually like that.

- Robert

Any advice?

Thanks,
Bill

TURTLE

"WORSS" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

This is Turtle.

Hold up here a minute. Needing 1 pound of freon in 5 years of operation is not a
major problem to be dealt with right now. If it is a 1 pound of freon every 5
years, the cost of adding a pound every 5 years will never equal $900.00 repair
right now. If you have to add 1 pound at a cost of say $100.00 every 5 years --
it will take 45 years of operation and filling every 5 years to equal the
$900.00 repair cost right now. Now with interest added -- it would be about 85
years before you can justify the $900.00 cost. Your not at the point of saying i
NEED to do something. Wait a year or 2 years and have it checked again and see.

A example of this is you get your oil changed in your car and the fellow tells
your low a Qt. of oil after the 4,000 miles you drove between oil changes. Do
you add a little oil before the 4,000 miles is up or rebuild your engine on your
car at a cost of $900.00. I would just add a little oil and keep going till it
became a problem.

The new leak detector we have now will pick up 1/8 of a ounce of freon a year
and you really don't know how bad this leak is. If it was leaking 1 pound of
freon every 5 years -- I would add 1 pound every 5 years and move on.

Take your time here. Your not under the gun here.

TURTLE

Abe

[...]

----------------------------------
This is good general advice. In the particular case of freon,
however, I'd add to the decision whether you care about leaking freon,
an ozone depleting gas, into the environment.

m Ransley

Listen to Mr Turtle. If it still cools it works, the guy could have
been wrong on the test just trying to get work. I wouldnt say anything
in disclosure. Let their tech find it in their inspection

Red Neckerson

"Abe" wrote

This is good general advice. In the particular case of freon,
however, I'd add to the decision whether you care about leaking freon,
an ozone depleting gas, into the environment.

Oh, Jeez Leweeze! Anudder Gott Damn Tree Hugger!

"THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

You best get yerself a large sack of corks and head out to Amurica's
Heartland because they say that cow flatulence destroys more of the earth's
ozone layer than if every drop of freon in the world was released into the
atmosphere!

Do yerself a favor: Save the bovine butt plugs! The ozone layer "grows"
back. Don't cry to me about global warming when this was one of the coolest
summers we've had in the pat 100 years.

Joseph Meehan

Red Neckerson wrote:
"Abe" wrote

This is good general advice. In the particular case of freon,
however, I'd add to the decision whether you care about leaking freon,
an ozone depleting gas, into the environment.

Oh, Jeez Leweeze! Anudder Gott Damn Tree Hugger!

"THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

You best get yerself a large sack of corks and head out to Amurica's
Heartland because they say that cow flatulence destroys more of the
earth's
ozone layer than if every drop of freon in the world was released into the
atmosphere!

Do yerself a favor: Save the bovine butt plugs! The ozone layer "grows"
back. Don't cry to me about global warming when this was one of the
coolest
summers we've had in the pat 100 years.

You statement "Don't cry to me about global warming when this was one of
the coolest summers we've had in the pat 100 years." says it all. You
don't know what you are talking about. If you did, you would know that
global warming is not a uniform warming of the whole world or each year, not
is it a large enough that most people would be able to notice at any one
location.

The fact is, if your summer (and winter for that matter) was cooler,
that might be the result of global warming. Some places will acturally cool
some will warm, some will have more and others less rain. The changes will
appear small, but pushing the date of the last freeze, just one week, can
make a big change in what crops might grow in an area.

I do not want to say that I know the effect of the suggested solution of
not fixing an slow leak. It may or may not be a serious factor. I don't
know. Clearly you also don't know.

It is too bad that so many Bubas like you refuse to inform themselves.
This tends to drive the politics (along with industry bribes aka party
contributions) and slow the corrective measures that are needed.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Abe

I do not want to say that I know the effect of the suggested solution of
not fixing an slow leak. It may or may not be a serious factor. I don't
know. Clearly you also don't know.

----------------------------
I bet Bubba had my whole political ideaology mapped out based one that
one statement I made. Sheesh.

In any event, I think it's additive. One leak might not mean much, but
many thousands a year, every year, might be significant. Multiply that
by all the leaks the world over..and you get my drift.

And by the way...Cows love butt plugs :-)

Red Neckerson

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

It is too bad that so many Bubas like you refuse to inform themselves.
This tends to drive the politics (along with industry bribes aka party
contributions) and slow the corrective measures that are needed.

Joe,

You obviously don't get sarcasm or humor.

BTW, blow it out yer ass, hack boy!!!

Red Neckerson

"Abe" wrote in message
I do not want to say that I know the effect of the suggested solution of
not fixing an slow leak. It may or may not be a serious factor. I don't
know. Clearly you also don't know.

----------------------------
I bet Bubba had my whole political ideaology mapped out based one that
one statement I made. Sheesh.

In any event, I think it's additive. One leak might not mean much, but
many thousands a year, every year, might be significant. Multiply that
by all the leaks the world over..and you get my drift.

And by the way...Cows love butt plugs :-)

Moo Moo, cowboy.....

Stormin Mormon

A couple years ago, the global conference on global warming (held in
Washington DC) was cancelled account of a friek snow storm.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Neckerson"