Pop

"KTECH" wrote in message
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure
of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a
good part of the day. I have often thought that by
making some sort of a covering to ward off the sun
the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as
hard.Any ideas?
Frank

No ideas off the top of my head, but ... yes, getting
the sun off an air conditioner will make it work better
and more effieicntly. The trick though is not to block
any air flow.
It varies from unit to unit, but it can be done. I
had some noticeable luck and a measured increse in the
cooled air temp of a few degrees just by putting
mirror-film on the case of one of mine, a 10k btu unit.
Since the western sun hits it both from the top and the
west-side directly it was hard to figure any way to get
the sun off it without stopping some air flow.
The tree I finally planted does a great job now,
after only a few years.
BTW, it only took the film idea a few weeks to get
so dirty it didn't reflect anymore so it's not a good
answer.
I suppose there are ways to do it with properly
positioned louvres but that's beyond my abilities g.
The tree worked best in the long run, for me at least.
Also shades part of the hosue of course.

HTH

Pop