TURTLE

"KTECH" wrote in message
This probably came up beforebut I still am not sure of the answer.
My AC condenser is exposed to the sun for a good part of the day. I
have often thought that by making some sort of a covering to ward off the sun
the unit would cool better and perhaps not work as hard.Any ideas?
Frank

This is Turtle

This question has been ask at least a 100 times that i know of and here is what
was said just about everytime.

The HVAC People and some manufactors say it makes very little difference as to
sun hitting it or not. Now when they say that it is on the thought that it will
run just fine but at a little higher head pressure which will cost a little bit
more to operate the system. This will come from the ground, unit, and area
around the unit will be heated up and will be putting off heat to be sucked into
the condenser coil which will be a little higher temperature than if it was
setting in the shade. Now this small amount of added heat is small but may not
justify any cost to build a shade cover for it but shading may not be cost
effective but it does save a little money to shade it.

I researched it over the internet and came up with a few good sights that said
it saved money but none said how much. Now here is one from the Florida Public
Service Commision on 101 ways to save on your electric bill. Check out Artical
number 53 to see about condenser in the sun.
http://www.floridapsc.com/general/pu.../101summer.cfm

TURTLE