Howie

Default TURN OFF AIR CONDITIONING POWER

Anyone care to comment on this information I receive by email from
"managemyhome.com". I have two questions:

1) Should one only "Don't go to the trouble of covering the outdoor
component of your air conditioner for the winter. If you wrap it in plastic
you can do more harm than good, trapping moisture under the cover. If your
unit has a large opening in the top of it, you could cover the top with a
piece of plywood held down with a few bricks to keep the snow out." ...
Should one only cover the top of the outside unit with plywood?

2) Should I shut the power off during the winter? It sounds like it is a
smart thing to do.

3) Any comments / suggestions / advice / tips?

Howie
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

See the info below that I cut and pasted from the email:

TURN OFF AIR CONDITIONING POWER

While we hate to admit it, summer is gone. It's time to shut off your air
conditioner for the winter. There's more to it than just flicking the little
switch on the thermostat from "cool" to "heat."
----
WHAT ? Shut off your air conditioner for the winter.
----
WHEN ? Now, or when you're sure you won't be using it anymore this season.
----
WHY ? Because there is a heater built into the outdoor component of your
air conditioner. It's pointless and wasteful to leave it running all winter.
You also risk burning out the heating element. It is costly to replace and
critical for starting up your air conditioner next summer.
----
HOW ? It's simple. Shut off the power to the whole system. This is best
done at the main electrical panel. Simply pull the fuses out or shut off the
breakers marked "air conditioner." If they are not obvious, most air
conditioning systems have an outdoor shut-off close to the outdoor unit.
----
TIPS
We'll remind you in the spring, but it's very important to turn the power
back on 24 hours before you use your air conditioner next year. The little
heater takes a while to get everything up to the right temperature before
it's safe to turn it on.

Don't go to the trouble of covering the outdoor component of your air
conditioner for the winter. If you wrap it in plastic you can do more harm
than good, trapping moisture under the cover. If your unit has a large
opening in the top of it, you could cover the top with a piece of plywood
held down with a few bricks to keep the snow out.

Your humidifier duct damper has likely been in the closed position during
the summer months. This makes your air conditioner run more efficiently.
Now's the time to move it to the open position.

Joseph Meehan

Howie wrote:
Anyone care to comment on this information I receive by email from
"managemyhome.com". I have two questions:

1) Should one only "Don't go to the trouble of covering the outdoor
component of your air conditioner for the winter. If you wrap it in
plastic
you can do more harm than good, trapping moisture under the cover. If your
unit has a large opening in the top of it, you could cover the top with a
piece of plywood held down with a few bricks to keep the snow out." ...
Should one only cover the top of the outside unit with plywood?

2) Should I shut the power off during the winter? It sounds like it is a
smart thing to do.

3) Any comments / suggestions / advice / tips?

Howie
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

The two tips are both correct. You may want to cover the top of the A/C
but leave the sides open.

Yes, turn off the power to the A/C. Just remember to turn the power
back on at least 24 hours before trying to run the A/C in the spring.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

HeatMan

Opinions are like belly-buttons, no two are alike.

"Howie" wrote in message
Anyone care to comment on this information I receive by email from
"managemyhome.com". I have two questions:

1) Should one only "Don't go to the trouble of covering the outdoor
component of your air conditioner for the winter. If you wrap it in

plastic
you can do more harm than good, trapping moisture under the cover. If your
unit has a large opening in the top of it, you could cover the top with a
piece of plywood held down with a few bricks to keep the snow out." ...
Should one only cover the top of the outside unit with plywood?

If you do cover it, you'll have to remember to uncover it in the spring.

2) Should I shut the power off during the winter? It sounds like it is a
smart thing to do.

I wouldn't. With some people's luck, they will forget to turn the power
back on until the house is in the 90° range. Then it's a day (at least)
until they can use it. The power consumption may cost you a dollar or two
for the entire winter.

3) Any comments / suggestions / advice / tips?

Keep grass and weeds away from the condenser. Make sure there is at least
18" clearance from bushes, lattice, or what ever you use to hide the outside
unit. While I'm at it, change your air filter!

I am in the South, so AC is required. It don't snow here. I never cover my
condenser and leave the power on year 'round.

royroy

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:27:03 -0600, "Howie" wrote:
2) Should I shut the power off during the winter? It sounds like it is a
smart thing to do.

I was told years ago to never turn off the "warm-up" power to the
outside unit---that it would keep the seals, etc in good shape. I
can't say how well it worked, but I just replaced the 31 year old
system with a new 16 seer system. System never failed, and still
cooled when I had it carted off.
I will agree that the power use for that purpose is minimal
YMMV

Zypher

Most (not all) outdoor condensers (air conditioners) have a compressor
crankcase heater that should be left on. It's job (keeping the compressor
warm) will prevent liquid refrigerant from 'migrating' to the compressor and
mixing with the compressor oil. The heater (residential) uses about 22
watts of power and has minimal cost. If you start the unit without the
heater have been on at least 24 hours MAY damage the compressor from
refrigerant migration.

--
Zyp
"royroy" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:27:03 -0600, "Howie" wrote:
2) Should I shut the power off during the winter? It sounds like it is a
smart thing to do.

I was told years ago to never turn off the "warm-up" power to the
outside unit---that it would keep the seals, etc in good shape. I
can't say how well it worked, but I just replaced the 31 year old
system with a new 16 seer system. System never failed, and still
cooled when I had it carted off.
I will agree that the power use for that purpose is minimal
YMMV

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

TURTLE

"Howie" wrote in message
Anyone care to comment on this information I receive by email from
"managemyhome.com". I have two questions:

1) Should one only "Don't go to the trouble of covering the outdoor
component of your air conditioner for the winter. If you wrap it in plastic
you can do more harm than good, trapping moisture under the cover. If your
unit has a large opening in the top of it, you could cover the top with a
piece of plywood held down with a few bricks to keep the snow out." ...
Should one only cover the top of the outside unit with plywood?

2) Should I shut the power off during the winter? It sounds like it is a
smart thing to do.

3) Any comments / suggestions / advice / tips?

Howie
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

This is Turtle.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Make sure to uncover it and turn the power back on 24 hours before you start
using it.

TURTLE

John Gilmer

"Zypher" wrote in message
ink.net...
Most (not all) outdoor condensers (air conditioners) have a compressor
crankcase heater that should be left on. It's job (keeping the compressor
warm) will prevent liquid refrigerant from 'migrating' to the compressor

and
mixing with the compressor oil. The heater (residential) uses about 22
watts of power and has minimal cost. If you start the unit without the
heater have been on at least 24 hours MAY damage the compressor from
refrigerant migration.

I believe that the current situation with the heaters is that "Some Do, and
Some Don't.'

My present heat pump doesn't have the heater (Ruud) and the unit it replaced
(Lennox) didn't either.

I suggest that reason the companies "don't bother" is because there a plenty
of situation where the unit would have to start without the benefit of 24
hours of heater power. One example would be re-staring after a power
failure when no one is "at home." Failures would still be covered so the
makers would have an incentive to make the design function without the need
for the heater being powered 24/7.

BTW: the "customer" handout my HVAC gave me DID say to leave the machine
powered on for 24 hours before placing a heating or cooling demand. When
my HVAC guy said there was no heater, I just tossed the instructions.

HvacTech2

Hi John, hope you are having a nice day

On 27-Oct-04 At About 21:12:46, John Gilmer wrote to All
Subject: TURN OFF AIR CONDITIONING POWER

JG From: "John Gilmer"

JG My present heat pump doesn't have the heater (Ruud) and the unit it
JG replaced (Lennox) didn't either.

If it is a heat pump the heater is there. it could be a well type or a band
type. some even use the windings as a heater.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "A friend of mine is in jail for counterfeiting pennies..."- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 11:51 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 07:26 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 06:24 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 06:47 AM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 06:03 PM