HeatMan

Opinions are like belly-buttons, no two are alike.

"Howie" wrote in message
Anyone care to comment on this information I receive by email from
"managemyhome.com". I have two questions:

1) Should one only "Don't go to the trouble of covering the outdoor
component of your air conditioner for the winter. If you wrap it in

plastic
you can do more harm than good, trapping moisture under the cover. If your
unit has a large opening in the top of it, you could cover the top with a
piece of plywood held down with a few bricks to keep the snow out." ...
Should one only cover the top of the outside unit with plywood?

If you do cover it, you'll have to remember to uncover it in the spring.

2) Should I shut the power off during the winter? It sounds like it is a
smart thing to do.

I wouldn't. With some people's luck, they will forget to turn the power
back on until the house is in the 90° range. Then it's a day (at least)
until they can use it. The power consumption may cost you a dollar or two
for the entire winter.

3) Any comments / suggestions / advice / tips?

Keep grass and weeds away from the condenser. Make sure there is at least
18" clearance from bushes, lattice, or what ever you use to hide the outside
unit. While I'm at it, change your air filter!

I am in the South, so AC is required. It don't snow here. I never cover my
condenser and leave the power on year 'round.