KenM

Default Washing machine repair

Have an 8 year old Maytag clothes washer that is leaking where the drive
shaft goes into the tub. Looking at the Sears parts site, it seems it might
need a new shaft seal, which sells for about $70. To get at it, you have to
take off the top of the washer and the inner tub. I took off the agitator
but it wasn't clear how everything comes apart.

Called a few repair places, but they wouldn't give me a ball park figure for
taking the machine apart to replace the seal. The want to charge $50 to
come out and see where it goes from there. Given the amount of work to take
apart the machine, seems to me it might cost a couple of hundred dollars.
(Does this seem right?) With a replacement washer costing about $500, it
wouldn't be worth the cost to repair it, even though the rest of the machine
looks OK.

Thought?

Thanks.

Ken

Appliance Repair Aid

KenM wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Have an 8 year old Maytag clothes washer

Model#??
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

If your mystery washer is a Dependable Care style Maytag, this will
give you an idea what is involved...
http://www.applianceaid.com/tub_seal_replacement.html

it seems it might
need a new shaft seal

Usually best to repalce under water seal kit and tub bearing at the
same time! The bearing can rust and tear the seal.

Given the amount of work to take
apart the machine, seems to me it might cost a couple of hundred dollars.

If it is a Depenable Care style washer, definetly worth the repair as
this washer will often go 12-15 years easily....none of the new ones
will likely last that long.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

G Henslee

Vic Dura wrote:

I'm facing a similar decision on my Maytag washer. The transmission
seized up.

When mine started that I dropped a Muncie 4 speed and Hurst shifter in
it. Oh, and I also upgraded to an explosion resistant bell housing.
KenM

Well thanks Jeff, the web site is very informative - I didn't know about it.

Yes, it is a Dependable Care model. Looks like the parts are about $115.
If I attempt it myself, I would expect to triple your work hours, so it
could take 2-4 hours. (The price of inexperience!) Or pay an appliance
repair guy maybe $100+ for labor.

Given your life expectancy of the washer, it could be worth it. However I
also experienced the transmission seize up problem once, that was mentioned
by another responder. (What's that burning smell wafting through the house?
Oh it's the belt slipping on the seized transmission!) Never happened
again, but who knows how long the transmission will last now.

It's not leaking that much. Maybe I'll just get a pan to put under the
washer and see what happens. Decisions, decisions.

Ken

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

KenM wrote:
[...]

Appliance Repair Aid

KenM wrote:
Well thanks Jeff, the web site is very informative - I didn't know about it.

Yes, it is a Dependable Care model. Looks like the parts are about $115.
If I attempt it myself, I would expect to triple your work hours, so it
could take 2-4 hours. (The price of inexperience!) Or pay an appliance
repair guy maybe $100+ for labor.

Given your life expectancy of the washer, it could be worth it. However I
also experienced the transmission seize up problem once, that was mentioned
by another responder. (What's that burning smell wafting through the house?
Oh it's the belt slipping on the seized transmission!) Never happened
again, but who knows how long the transmission will last now.

It's not leaking that much. Maybe I'll just get a pan to put under the
washer and see what happens. Decisions, decisions.

Ken

G'day,

However I
also experienced the transmission seize up problem once

Tranny has a 10 year parts warranty, and it comes with new seal
kit...likely would need a Maytag Authorized repair depot install it but
the cost to you would be labour and the tub bearing only!!
Worth thinking about!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Art

Maytag near me charges $125 just to install an under warranty dishwasher
motor which is a friction fit after removing about 12 screws. I think he
should dump the washer and buy a different brand. Oh, by the way, the new
motor is made in China and noisier than the old one it replaced.

KenM wrote:
[...]

Art

I had a Maytag bought new in around 1987. Maybe it is supposed to be
reliable but I thought it sucked and sold it. Agitation was weak and the
rinse cycle was so short I really didn't think it had time to mix the
clothes around in the clean water to get the soap out. I could design a
reliable washing machine too if the agitator just sat there and did nothing.

"3rd eye" wrote in message
news
On 29 Jun 2005 11:22:43 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

snipped

If it is a Depenable Care style washer, definetly worth the repair as
this washer will often go 12-15 years easily....none of the new ones
will likely last that long.

Really?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jeff, I have a Maytag washing machine that I bought used about 25
years ago. It's a model A-206. It's pretty much a plain jane machine
but it is a workhorse. I little noisy perhaps but still works like a
champ. It looks like something from the 60's.

I've never had a problem with it in that 25 years except losing a clip
that held the front panel on. Not being able to find the right clip
locally, I used sheet metal screws to hold it together.

Are you saying the newer ones will never last as well as the old
models?
Dumb question I suppose.

The little woman has mentioned a time or two that she'd like a new
one. It's not too stylish looking.

I have a hard time with that. It's kind of a sentimental thing.
I kid you not, I paid FIFTEEN dollars for it.

Thoughts?

cowboy

Given your life expectancy of the washer, it could be worth it. However I
also experienced the transmission seize up problem once, that was
mentioned by another responder. (What's that burning smell wafting
through the house? Oh it's the belt slipping on the seized transmission!)
Never happened again, but who knows how long the transmission will last
now.

It's not leaking that much. Maybe I'll just get a pan to put under the
washer and see what happens. Decisions, decisions.

Ken

yikes, that is a pretty bad repair record for a washer that is apparently
not at the end of its service life

ever thought about getting a whirlpool (aka kitchen aid, roper) I have three
of them, all different vintages and have not had any troubles.

and when I eventually do have a problem with them, the common issues are
cheap and easy for a DIY

just an idea if you decide to replace it!

Appliance Repair Aid

3rd eye wrote:

Really?

Yupper.

Jeff, I have a Maytag washing machine that I bought used about 25
years ago. It's a model A-206. It's pretty much a plain jane machine
but it is a workhorse. I little noisy perhaps but still works like a
champ. It looks like something from the 60's.

I've never had a problem with it in that 25 years except losing a clip
that held the front panel on. Not being able to find the right clip
locally, I used sheet metal screws to hold it together.

Are you saying the newer ones will never last as well as the old
models?
Dumb question I suppose.

Yupper
Most today will last 5-8 year.

The little woman has mentioned a time or two that she'd like a new
one. It's not too stylish looking.

I have a hard time with that. It's kind of a sentimental thing.
I kid you not, I paid FIFTEEN dollars for it.

Thoughts?

Keep this one running as long as possible, it is the style of washer
Maytag built thier name on.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

My problem is slightly different. We continue to have a black oil smear on
our clothes while washing. After removing the agitator, cleaning that
shaft area, the substance continues to leak thru the seal during washing.
Can the seal be replaced? If so, how?
Or does the whole bearing shaft need replacing?