Appliance Repair Aid

KenM wrote:
Have an 8 year old Maytag clothes washer that is leaking where the drive
shaft goes into the tub. Looking at the Sears parts site, it seems it might
need a new shaft seal, which sells for about $70. To get at it, you have to
take off the top of the washer and the inner tub. I took off the agitator
but it wasn't clear how everything comes apart.

Called a few repair places, but they wouldn't give me a ball park figure for
taking the machine apart to replace the seal. The want to charge $50 to
come out and see where it goes from there. Given the amount of work to take
apart the machine, seems to me it might cost a couple of hundred dollars.
(Does this seem right?) With a replacement washer costing about $500, it
wouldn't be worth the cost to repair it, even though the rest of the machine
looks OK.

Thought?

Thanks.

Ken

Hi,

Have an 8 year old Maytag clothes washer

Model#??
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

If your mystery washer is a Dependable Care style Maytag, this will
give you an idea what is involved...
http://www.applianceaid.com/tub_seal_replacement.html

it seems it might
need a new shaft seal

Usually best to repalce under water seal kit and tub bearing at the
same time! The bearing can rust and tear the seal.

Given the amount of work to take
apart the machine, seems to me it might cost a couple of hundred dollars.

If it is a Depenable Care style washer, definetly worth the repair as
this washer will often go 12-15 years easily....none of the new ones
will likely last that long.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/