Posted to alt.home.repair
roger roger is offline

Default Washing machine repair

My problem is slightly different. We continue to have a black oil smear on
our clothes while washing. After removing the agitator, cleaning that
shaft area, the substance continues to leak thru the seal during washing.
Can the seal be replaced? If so, how?
Or does the whole bearing shaft need replacing?

Have an 8 year old Maytag clothes washer that is leaking where the drive
shaft goes into the tub. Looking at the Sears parts site, it seems it

might
need a new shaft seal, which sells for about $70. To get at it, you have

take off the top of the washer and the inner tub. I took off the agitator

but it wasn't clear how everything comes apart.

Called a few repair places, but they wouldn't give me a ball park figure

for
taking the machine apart to replace the seal. The want to charge $50 to
come out and see where it goes from there. Given the amount of work to

take
apart the machine, seems to me it might cost a couple of hundred dollars.

(Does this seem right?) With a replacement washer costing about $500, it
wouldn't be worth the cost to repair it, even though the rest of the

machine
looks OK.

Thought?

Thanks.