Robert11

Default "Kenmore" Branded Gas Grills ?

Hello:

Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill.
Don't know very much about them.

Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on sale
at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that Weber or
Vermont Castings.
CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones, apparently.

Realize you tend to get what you pay for, but was wondering if anyone
has any experience with the Kenmore branded ones ?

Thanks,
Bob

KLS

On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:35:54 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Realize you tend to get what you pay for, but was wondering if anyone
has any experience with the Kenmore branded ones ?

In my opinion (biased because I am a Weber fan, using my 2nd one now
after my first died after 14 years of excellent service), these
Kenmore grills don't generate the high or consistent heat of pricier
grills, and they work less and less well over the years. They're also
hard to clean. I hate them. For an extra $100-200, you can get a
nice Weber Genesis Silver A that will last you for decades with good
care. These Kenmore and Charbroil types of grills are basically
disposable, a real waste in my view.
Edwin Pawlowski

"KLS" wrote in message

Kenmore grills don't generate the high or consistent heat of pricier
grills, and they work less and less well over the years. They're also
hard to clean. I hate them. For an extra $100-200, you can get a
nice Weber Genesis Silver A that will last you for decades with good
care. These Kenmore and Charbroil types of grills are basically
disposable, a real waste in my view.

When is the last time you looked at a Kenmore grill? Your statement may
have been correct 10 years ago. Some of these make Weber look rather cheesy.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Grills%2C+Gas

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Grills%2C+Gas

ADC

I got a Kenmore as a wedding present 8 years ago and it still works. We use
it regularly, moved it three times and have even hauled it for camping trips
and cookouts. With a little annual preventive maintenenace (cleaning
burners, tightening bolts, etc.) it will last much longer. The only think
I've had to replace is the grill plates due to overuse. I bought the nice
ceramic coated ones...
"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill.
Don't know very much about them.

Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on sale
at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that Weber or
Vermont Castings.
CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones, apparently.

Realize you tend to get what you pay for, but was wondering if anyone
has any experience with the Kenmore branded ones ?

Thanks,
Bob

SteveB

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill.
Don't know very much about them.

Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on sale
at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that Weber or
Vermont Castings.
CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones, apparently.

Realize you tend to get what you pay for, but was wondering if anyone
has any experience with the Kenmore branded ones ?

Thanks,
Bob

I saw Kenmore grills, and was really turned on. They look fabulous.

But I bought a Vermont Castings. It is blue, and only partial stainless
steel.

That stainless is a royal PITA. I could not imagine having a grill that had
about five times the amount of stainless that the VC has. A guy would have
to spend a lot of time just keeping it looking decent.

I can't say how much I like the VC. The porcelain grills. The lighter that
works first time every time. The accurate temperature control. The ability
to bake in it by putting the food on one side and the flame on the other.
The massive weight that keeps in the heat. The overall good looks. The
good construction.

It is the best grill I have ever owned, but all my other ones were the $150
aluminum body cheapos, or garage sale derelicts.

Consider keeping all that stainless clean when picking a grill. It is only
gonna look nice for a couple of days, unless you want to spend a lot of time
keeping it clean.

Steve

KLS

On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:11:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message

Kenmore grills don't generate the high or consistent heat of pricier
grills, and they work less and less well over the years. They're also
hard to clean. I hate them. For an extra $100-200, you can get a
nice Weber Genesis Silver A that will last you for decades with good
care. These Kenmore and Charbroil types of grills are basically
disposable, a real waste in my view.

When is the last time you looked at a Kenmore grill? Your statement may
have been correct 10 years ago. Some of these make Weber look rather cheesy.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Grills%2C+Gas

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Grills%2C+Gas

I no longer have the OP, but my understanding of his query was that he
wasn't in the $650-$800 price range for grills, more rather in the
generally common $150-$400 range, and that's what my post responded
to. The Kenmore grills I'm familiar with were purchased in the last 5
years and were less than $200. They sucked. They also were nothing
like the grand stainless models you're showing.
Edwin Pawlowski

"KLS" wrote in message

I no longer have the OP, but my understanding of his query was that he
wasn't in the $650-$800 price range for grills, more rather in the
generally common $150-$400 range, and that's what my post responded
to. The Kenmore grills I'm familiar with were purchased in the last 5
years and were less than $200. They sucked. They also were nothing
like the grand stainless models you're showing.

He did mention Vermont Castings. They don't have any cheap grills. Any
brand less than $300 or so is junk, IMO.

KLS

On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:12:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message

I no longer have the OP, but my understanding of his query was that he
wasn't in the $650-$800 price range for grills, more rather in the
generally common $150-$400 range, and that's what my post responded
to. The Kenmore grills I'm familiar with were purchased in the last 5
years and were less than $200. They sucked. They also were nothing
like the grand stainless models you're showing.

He did mention Vermont Castings. They don't have any cheap grills. Any
brand less than $300 or so is junk, IMO.

So true, especially for longevity.

Ron DeBlock

I can't tell you which brand is best, but I can tell you that I will NOT
buy a Weber Genesis. They probably work fine, but the idiot who put the
knobs on the side shelf needs to have his/her head examined. Horizontal
space near the cooking surface is a valuable commodity, it should not be
wasted on knobs.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO 20 years on Usenet!
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

Marc Newman

wrote:

Hello:

Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill.
Don't know very much about them.

Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on sale
at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that Weber or
Vermont Castings.
CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones, apparently.

Realize you tend to get what you pay for, but was wondering if anyone
has any experience with the Kenmore branded ones ?

Thanks,
Bob

I opted for the Kenmore 5 burner over the Weber Genesis C about 2
months ago. The Kenmore has ss burners and grates but the "body" is
not stainless. I didn't want the extra work of keeping it clean.
Assembly took about an hour which is longer than with a Weber, but the
instructions were clear and easy to follow. Some of the Weber's parts
were flimsy compared to the Kenmore, particularly the grates and
doors. Grease removal is also easy like the Weber with a disposable
drip pan system that can be easily reached.

Temperature is easy to maintain and control. I have been able to keep
temps at 215-225 for barbequing and in the 550 range for searing.

Both grills were in the same price range $500-600.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 30 May 2005 11:23:58p, Rudy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill.
Don't know very much about them.

Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on sale
at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that Weber or
Vermont Castings.
CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones

Have you looked at the SS grills at Costco ?

Great grill. I'd buy it if it weren't SS. SS is a royal PITA.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Why a pain? Just about to buy a SS unit and you have touched on a
interesting point---they are sposed to be less maintenance????

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Mon 30 May 2005 11:23:58p, Rudy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill.
Don't know very much about them.

Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on sale
at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that Weber or
Vermont Castings.
CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones

Have you looked at the SS grills at Costco ?

Great grill. I'd buy it if it weren't SS. SS is a royal PITA.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 01 Jun 2005 08:51:04p, ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Why a pain? Just about to buy a SS unit and you have touched on a
interesting point---they are sposed to be less maintenance????

If you want it to look like new, you'll spend more time cleaning and
polishing the SS than you will cooking. SS hoods also tend to darken with
high heat exposure. That takes a lot of elbow grease.

The grill I bought is predominantly SS with some black porcelain trim. I
finally decided to hell with it and let the appearance go. I keep it
clean, but it still looks like hell without the polishing. It still
grills well.

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Mon 30 May 2005 11:23:58p, Rudy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill.
Don't know very much about them.

Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on
sale at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that
Weber or Vermont Castings.
CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones

Have you looked at the SS grills at Costco ?

Great grill. I'd buy it if it weren't SS. SS is a royal PITA.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 01 Jun 2005 08:51:04p, ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Why a pain? Just about to buy a SS unit and you have touched on a
interesting point---they are sposed to be less maintenance????

One more thing. This might be helpful...

http://bbq.about.com/od/stainlessste...a042305a_2.htm

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
SteveB

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in
message . ..
Why a pain? Just about to buy a SS unit and you have touched on a
interesting point---they are sposed to be less maintenance????

The SS on my Vermont Castings has a finish that is not smooth. It has tiny
lines in it. The grease sticks in there, and is very hard to get out, even
with 409 cleaner and the like. I used 409 once, but hated the way the BBQ
smelled the first time I used it. Now, I just use heavy soap and water and
a power washer.

If you have to ask what's the problem with SS, you've never owned one.

Steve