Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

T.T.

Default 2003 Consumer Reports Best Buys for your home

Just FYI.

[Order with highest overall score first]

Room air cleaners:

Friedrich C-90A
Whirlpool BAP-1300
Holmes HAP675
Honeywell 13520
Hunter HEPATech 30375
Honeywell Enviracaire 17400
Holmes HAP650

---
Barbecue Grills

Weber Summit 450 26[1]101
Broilmaster P3[BL]
Coleman 4000 HG49810S
Weber Genesis Silver-B 228[1]001 - CR best buy
Ducane 16055HLPE
Weber Genesis Silver-A 227[1]001 - CR best buy
Ducane 1305SHLPE
Ducane 8045HLP
Kenmore (Sears) 15227
Kenmore (Sears) 15221
---
Camcorders

Sony DCR-TRV25
Sony DCR-PC120BT
Panasonic PV-DV402
Panasonic PV-DC152
Sony DCR-TRV240
Sony DCR-TRV140
Canon ZR45MC
JVC GR-DVL920U
Canon Optura 100MC

---
Coffeemakers:
Braun Flavor Select KF 187
Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200
Black & Decker Smart Brew Plus DCM2500 -- A CR Best buy
Krups ProAroma 12 Plus Time 453-71
Black & Decker Smart Brew DCM2000 -- A CR Best buy
KitchenAid Pro 12 KCM400WH
Braun Aromaster KF 400 -- A CR Best buy
Mr. Coffee AR12 -- A CR Best buy
---
30-inch Electric SmoothTops (cooktops)
Fridigaire Gallery GLE30S8A[S] -- A CR Best buy
GE Profile JP930TC[WW]
GE Profile JP938WC[WW]
Kenmore(Sears) Elite 4402[2]
Maytag CSE9000A[CE]
Amana AKt3040[ww]
KitchenAid KECC502G[WH]

36-inch GAS Cooktops
GE Monogram ZGU375NSD[SS]
Jenn-Air CCG2523[w] -- A CR Best buy
Dacor SGM365[R]
GE Profile JGP9621TC[WW]

---
Cookware

Nonstick Sets
Calphalon Commercial (anodized aluminum)
Calphalon Simply Calphalon -- A CR Best buy
Emerilware by All-Clad (anodized aluminum)
Cook's Essentials -- A CR Best buy

Uncoatted Sets:
Wolfgang Puck Bristro Collection (stainless steel)
Farberware Millennium (stainless steel, copper)

---
Drills, cordless
Bosch 3960K
Bosch 3860K
Craftsman (sears) 11334 - A CR Best buy
Ryobi HP1802MK2 -- A CR Best buy

---
Dryers:
Kenmore (sears) Elite 6393[2]
Kenmore (sears) 6280[2] - A CR Best buy
GE Profile Performance DPSE592EA[WW]
Maytag Neptune MDE7500AY[w]
GE Profile DPSB519EB[WW]
Kenmore (sears) Elite HE3 8282[2]
Whirlpool LEQ8000J[Q] - A CR Best buy
Whirlpool GEW9868K[Q]
Kenmore (sears) Elite 6283[2]
Kenmore (sears) Elite 6304[2]
Kenmore (sears) Elite 6206[2]
Whirlpool Gold GEQ9858J[Q]
Frigidaire Gallery GLER642A[S]
---

DVD players:
Hitachi DVP325U ($130)
Sony DVP-NS315
Pioneer DV-353-K
Toshiba SD-2800
JVC XV-S402SL
Samsung DVD-s222
Yamaha DVD-s520
Apex AD-2100
Fisher DVD-SL30
Zenith DVB211
Sanyo DWM-380

--Standard muti-disc players
Toshiba SD2805
Samsung DVD_C621
Sony DVP-NC615

--Progressive-scan single-disc players
JVC XV-S502SL
Zenith DVB216
Samsung DVD-P721M
Hitachi DVP725U
Denon DVD-1600

Flooring (wood)
Hartco Danville Strip Sahara
P.G. Hardwood Flooring Inc. (model Plus Oak)
Bruce Laurel Strip
Mirage Classic Red oak
Bruce natural Reflections

Engineered-wood flooring
Mannington American Classics
harris-Tarkett Longstrip Everglades white oak natural
Anderson Lincoln Plank Red oak

Plastic-laminate flooring
Formica Butterscotch Oak
Pergo Select Concord oak ps 5280
Armstrong Princeton Oak Natural
Mannington Natural Oak

---
Home Theater in a box

Sony HT-DDW740
Pioneer HTD-510DV
Panasonic SC-HT75
Yamaha YHT-500
Yamaha YHT-300
RCA RT-DVD1
Sony DAV-C450
JBL Cinema ProPack 60011

---
Lawn mowers - push type
Yard Machines by MTD 11A-439G129
Yard Machines by MTD 11A-549G129

---
Microwave ovens:
Compact-
GE JE740[G]
Samsung MW4699[S]
Sharp Half Pint R-120D[K]

Midsize-
Kenmore (sears) 6225(9)
Sharp Platinum Collection R-370E[K]
Sharp Carousel R-330E[K]
GE Profile JE1160[b]C
Sharp Carousel R-320F[K]

Large countertop Ovens
Goldstar MA1302S
Sharp Carousel R-420E[K] -- A CR Best buy
GE Profile JE1460(B)F -- A CR Best buy
Panasonic Genius NN-S962[b]F

Over-the-range ovens
Kenmore (Sears) Elite 6168[9]
Whirlpool Gold Gh8155XJ[b]
GE Profile Spacemaker JVM1860[b]F
Whirlpool Gold GH9185XL[b]
KitchenAid KHMS147H[BL]
Panasonic Genius NN-S262[b]F -- A CR Best buy
Samsung MO1650[b]A -- A CR Best buy

Mini-systems
Philips MC-50 -- A CR Best buy
Panasonic SC-AK300

Models without cassette deck
Yamaha MCR-E150
Onkyo MC25TECH
Onkyo PS-510
JVC FS-SD1000
Yamaha TSX-15
JVC FS-SD550
----

Receivers:

Panasonic SA-HE100 -- A CR Best buy
Onkyo TX-SR600
Harman Kardon AVR 320
Onkyo TX-SR500
Yamaha RX-V430
Harman Kardon AVR120
Panasonic SA-HE70
Kenwood VR-6060

---
SPeakers:
Pioneer S-DF3-K
Bose 301 Series IV
Cambridge Soundworks Model Six
BIC America Venturi DV62si
Infinity Entra One
B&W DM 602 S2
Bose 201 Series IV
Acoustic Research 215PS
Mission MS M72
Pioneer S-DF2-K
Sony SS-MB300H
PSB Image 2B
Pioneer S-H252B-K
Mission 780
Pioneer S-DF1-K
Bose 141
Corwin Vega RL-16M
Acoustic Research AR15
Klipsch Synergy SB-3 Monitor
KLH 911B
Acoustic Research AR17
---
Floor standing models
-
Mission MS M73
Cerwin Vega E-710
Yamaha NS-A200XT
-
Three-piece systems
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble III
Bose Acoustimass 3 Series IV
Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III
Cambridge Soundworks new Ensemble II

---
Toilets:
Briggs Vacuity 4200
American Standard Cadet PA 2333.100
Gerber ultra Flush 21-302
Crane Vacuum Induced Power FlushVIP 3999
Gerber Ultra Flush 21-312
Kohler San Raphael Power Llite K-3398
Crane Economiser 3834
Mansfield Quantum 150-100
Toto Carlyle MS874114SG
Kohler Wellworth 3422
American Standard Cadet 2798.012
Eljer Aqua Saver 091-7025
Kohler Wellworth K-3423
Eljer Canterbury 081-1625

---
Refrigerators

Maytag MTB1956GE[W]
Kenmore (Sears) 7118[2]
Maytag MTB2156GE[W]
GE GTS18KCM[WW]
Kenmore (Sears) 7198[2]
Frigidaire Gallery GLHT216TA[W]
Kenmore (Sears) 7285[2]
Whirlpool Gold GR9SHKXK[Q]

TV Sets:
---
27-inch CRT:
Toshiba 27AF42
Sony KV-27FV300
JVC AV-27D303
Sharp 27U-F500

32-inch CRT:
Sony KV-32FV300
Zenith C32A26
JVC AV-32D303
Quasar SP-3235
Sharp 32U-F500
Panasonic CT-32D32
Sharp 32U-S60

36-inch CRT:
Sony KV-36FV300
Toshiba 36A42
Toshiba 36AX61
JVC AV-36330
JVC AV-36D503
Sharp 36U-S60

----
Vacuum cleaners
Uprights
Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive 31912
Hoover WindTunnel Self-Propelled Ultra U6430-900
Eureka Boss Smart Vac 4870 -- A CR Best Buy
Panasonic Dual Sweep MC-V7515

VCRs
Toshiba W-727
RCA VR648HF
Go-Video DDV3110
Panasonic PV-V4612S
Sony SLV-N55
Toshiba W-522
Sony SLV-N99
Samsung VR8260
Mitsubishi HS-U448
Sharp VC-H965U
Sanyo VWM-710

VCR/DVD combos:
Samsung DVD-V2000
Panasonic PV-D4752
Hitachi DV-PF2U

Washing machines:
Top-loaders:
Kenmore Elite Calypso 2206[2]
Whirlpool Calypso GVW9959k[Q]
Fisher & Paykel GWL10 US
Kenmore Elite Catalyst 2203[2]
Maytag Performa PAV2300A[ww] -- A CR Best buy

Front-loaders:
Kenmore Elite 4292[2] HE3t
Whirlpool Duet HT GHW9200[W]
Kenmore (sears) Elite 4282[2] HE3
Whirlpool Duet GHW9100L[Q]
Betsy

I used to be a big fan of Consumer Reports. No longer. I've had bad luck
with a car, vacuum, stereo, actually just about everything I've bought on
their recommendation. And don't even get me started on their bad advice on
computers.

The problem as I see it is that people need to know much more about the
longevity of the purchase. CR gives some guidelines, but no actual polling
of actual owners. Nor is there any consistent followup of the product
performing in a real-life situation.

I've found better advice on the web. Looking through Epinions and other
such sites can give you a much better idea if you want that product.
Moreover, you can compare product features much more reliably.

I hope CR will get with the program, because I think they have performed a
very valuable service for many years, but at this point my opinion is they
are behind the times in far too many ways to be helpful.

"T.T." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bill Seurer

Betsy wrote:
The problem as I see it is that people need to know much more about the
longevity of the purchase. CR gives some guidelines, but no actual polling
of actual owners. Nor is there any consistent followup of the product
performing in a real-life situation.

Yes they do. Every year they survey their subscribers. You can see
stuff like car reliability data going back 10 years. Where did you
think they got the brand reliability numbers they put in most reviews?
Betsy

I'm aware of the "reliability" data, but it's just not focused enough on
individual products.

Another point of contention: by the time they've done their issues, many of
the items reviewed have been replaced by new ones, and very few examples of
a product line are reviewed. For example, if a computer printer is in a
group, say the canon "i" series or the canon "s" or "bj" series, no mention
is made of why the series has that name or what these items have in common.
This would help he consumer enormously.

Possibly something like this goes onto the CR website, but I don't subscribe
to it.

"Bill Seurer" wrote in message
Betsy wrote:
The problem as I see it is that people need to know much more about the
longevity of the purchase. CR gives some guidelines, but no actual

polling
of actual owners. Nor is there any consistent followup of the product
performing in a real-life situation.

Yes they do. Every year they survey their subscribers. You can see
stuff like car reliability data going back 10 years. Where did you
think they got the brand reliability numbers they put in most reviews?

Bob Rahe

In article ,
Bill Seurer wrote:
Betsy wrote:
The problem as I see it is that people need to know much more about the
longevity of the purchase. CR gives some guidelines, but no actual polling
of actual owners. Nor is there any consistent followup of the product
performing in a real-life situation.

Yes they do. Every year they survey their subscribers. You can see
stuff like car reliability data going back 10 years. Where did you
think they got the brand reliability numbers they put in most reviews?

And such statistics are not reliable. They are not a valid statistical
sample because the population is self-selecting. As in, the reliablity
figures are only valid for the sample that chose to reply to the
survey.
|Bob Rahe, MIEEE, (RWR50) / |
|Delaware Technical & Community College / |
|Computer Center, Dover, Delaware / |
doubter

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:42:43 -0600, frank wrote:

Technically I agree with you but that goes for any survey since I
don't know one that surveys the entire population including the United
States census bureau.

No survey needs to contact the entire universe to provide a valid sample.
In fact the numbers required to get a result with a 5% confidence level
are very small.

What is important is that the sample be representative of the makeup of
the universe being sampled. If someone declines to participate, they
would be replaced by a member of the subset that the original person
represented.

Basing a survey on only CR subscribers is enough to skew the sample. The
fact that it is a voluntary survey that depends on the subscriber taking
the time to fill out the lengthy questionaire and then return it further
exacerbates the problem.

Also since someone with a bad experience is more motivated than someone
with no complaints one has to wonder about the experiences being reported
through the voluntary process. If in doubt, look at this group. The
times someone posts a postive experience are very, very rare.

In summary, the CR reliability numbers are interesting but of limited
value.

frank

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:00:54 GMT, doubter
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:42:43 -0600, frank wrote:

Technically I agree with you but that goes for any survey since I
don't know one that surveys the entire population including the United
States census bureau.

No survey needs to contact the entire universe to provide a valid sample.
In fact the numbers required to get a result with a 5% confidence level
are very small.

What is important is that the sample be representative of the makeup of
the universe being sampled. If someone declines to participate, they
would be replaced by a member of the subset that the original person
represented.

Sounds great but no survey can really do this unless they survey all.
How do you decide that it represents the universe being sampled unless
you survey the universe first? Inotherwords, what would be your basis
to determine the survey is accurate?
doubter

wrote:
What is important is that the sample be representative of the makeup of
the universe being sampled. If someone declines to participate, they
would be replaced by a member of the subset that the original person
represented.

Sounds great but no survey can really do this unless they survey all.
How do you decide that it represents the universe being sampled unless
you survey the universe first? Inotherwords, what would be your basis
to determine the survey is accurate?

The universe is defined by the customer who hires the pollster. In the
political world it is the politician (individual, party, etc) that is
interested in likely voters, economic status, ethnicity, party affiliation
etc. In the commercial environment, it is the target customer base which
is usually obtained by tracking buyers of existing or similar products.

Campaigns never target everyone at the same time. The market is segmented
and attacked. Look at an ad for MacDonald's on MSNBC and one on MTV. You
will see the same products presented in very different presentation
styles.

In either of the above cases, once the customer has defined the needs, the
pollsters use various data sources (census figures, voter registration
data, assessed property values, car registration data, magazine
subscription data, to name but a few) to build the sampling model. It is
a difficult and precise science. This is the reason leaders such as
Gallup, Field, Harris and Nielsen are respected and their polls are
usually given credibility.

In any case, control of the sample selection must remain with the
pollster. Deviations from the defined model will result in questionable
data. With the CU/CR survey it is up to the whims of the participant to
participate or not. There can be no accounting for the natural biases
that result.

Frank, this is an interesting discussion but has probably strayed way off
topic for this news group.

frank

wrote:
What is important is that the sample be representative of the makeup of
the universe being sampled. If someone declines to participate, they
would be replaced by a member of the subset that the original person
represented.

Sounds great but no survey can really do this unless they survey all.
How do you decide that it represents the universe being sampled unless
you survey the universe first? Inotherwords, what would be your basis
to determine the survey is accurate?

The universe is defined by the customer who hires the pollster. In the

Inotherwords, by "assumption". Therefore the results are only as good
as the assumption !!!
frank

wrote:

Frank, this is an interesting discussion but has probably strayed way off
topic for this news group.

I agree with you on this !!! I also agree with you with respect to
Consumer Reports.
Steven O.

wrote:
In either of the above cases, once the customer has defined the needs, the
pollsters use various data sources (census figures, voter registration
data, assessed property values, car registration data, magazine
subscription data, to name but a few) to build the sampling model. It is
a difficult and precise science. This is the reason leaders such as
Gallup, Field, Harris and Nielsen are respected and their polls are
usually given credibility.

Difficult, yes... Precise -- highly doubtful. I'm studying
statistics now, and I'm highly dubious of the claims that, in real
life, a sample of 2000 to 3000 people gives me a 95% or 99% confidence
interval on a population of several hundred million. I'd have a lot
more faith in these studies if they spent the money on samples of
10,000 to 50,000 people. But even then, there is tremendous room for
subjective error in defining a "suitable" sample group, even among
trained statisticians.

Steve O.
Steven AATT Domain DDOOTT com
To send an e-mail, substitute @ for AATT, a . for DDOOTT, and OpComm for Domain

Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.