Snoop Drew

Default Ecowater softener for $2795 or Kenmore for $900

I got a quote from a Ecowater reseller to purchase the ERR 3000
(http://www.ecowater.com/residential/...p?page=1_1_1_1) to soften my
12 grain water hardness in my home for $2695. This includes installation,
tax, and lifetime warranty on some main components of the softener.

I'm also tempted to purchase the Kenmore 275A from Sears for $599
(http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...vertical=APPL&
pid=04238827000). Tax will be $50 and installation about $250. So that's
$900 dollars.

But the Kenmore warranty is only 1 year. The Ecowater reseller keeps saying
that their warranty is lifetime and that they have better quality parts,
better workmanship, claims are easily handled directly through them, etc.

Should I spend an additional $1800 on an Ecowater or am I getting a better
price/performance value from the Kenmore unit? My wife wants soft water for
washing clothes and dishes and baby, while I want something to keep my
plumbing and appliances working well through the years.

Mike J

I would go fo 425A for $499
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...6000&tab=specs
and our sears installes for $150.

I was not able to tell the difference btw 425A that I have, and $3k softner
my neighbor has...
Both are doing an excellent job....

May be this is just me. Some claims to use less salt, but saving will never
pay back the difference.
( 1bag sears ws vs 0.95 others ), others claim saving electricity, check my
math on that one

Sears is using 0.1A x 12v = 1.2W at $0.07 per KW = $0.06 /month...
or $.72/year and with watersoftner life ~ 12 years, your saving would be
equal to $10...
Woo-hoo (kinetico!).

Just my .02

"Snoop Drew" wrote in message
[...]

Tom

"Snoop Drew" wrote in message
[...]

Ecowater is the source for Sears Kenmore water softeners. Notice the

similarity in appearance. I would like to see that lifetime warranty on
paper and also to read any "outs" the dealer has to not honor it. Please
note that I am an employee of Sears Hardware. I'm sure that the Ecowater
unit is a good one but I'll bet the difference in price is mostly dealer
mark up to cover sales commission.

Curt Martin

We bought a "best of the best" system years ago, and we love it (when
it's dialed in, still playing with it after moving into a nre house),
but I think we would have probably been just as happy with a brand "X",
especially considering what we paid.

Tom wrote:

"Snoop Drew" wrote in message

[...]

Gary Slusser

"Snoop Drew" wrote in message
[...]

The most important component of a softener is the control valve. IMO the
best control valves bar none (based on service free operation) are the Clack
WS-1 and Fleck 7000. They both have 5 year warranties and are ideal for the
DIYer that would change a part in needed. No special tools are needed and
you can buy parts (or service) from any local dealer selling any equipment
using Autotrol, Clack, Fleck or Erie control valves or any franchise dealer
(Culligan, Kinetico, Rainsoft, etc.) that will sell them to you. They are
industry standard and nonproprietary. The prices for the same size
(capacity) are less than what you've quoted here. Do a web search for "Clack
WS-1" typed with the quotes and see. And save the installation costs by
installing your softener yourself. I've taught untold numbers of people how
and to solder in less than 15 minutes and $50 for the tools they need.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2