Snoop Drew

Default Ecowater softener for $2795 or Kenmore for $900

I got a quote from a Ecowater reseller to purchase the ERR 3000
(http://www.ecowater.com/residential/...p?page=1_1_1_1) to soften my
12 grain water hardness in my home for $2695. This includes installation,
tax, and lifetime warranty on some main components of the softener.

I'm also tempted to purchase the Kenmore 275A from Sears for $599
(http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...vertical=APPL&
pid=04238827000). Tax will be $50 and installation about $250. So that's
$900 dollars.

But the Kenmore warranty is only 1 year. The Ecowater reseller keeps saying
that their warranty is lifetime and that they have better quality parts,
better workmanship, claims are easily handled directly through them, etc.

Should I spend an additional $1800 on an Ecowater or am I getting a better
price/performance value from the Kenmore unit? My wife wants soft water for
washing clothes and dishes and baby, while I want something to keep my
plumbing and appliances working well through the years.