Curt Martin

Default Ecowater softener for $2795 or Kenmore for $900

We bought a "best of the best" system years ago, and we love it (when
it's dialed in, still playing with it after moving into a nre house),
but I think we would have probably been just as happy with a brand "X",
especially considering what we paid.

Tom wrote:

"Snoop Drew" wrote in message

I got a quote from a Ecowater reseller to purchase the ERR 3000
(http://www.ecowater.com/residential/...p?page=1_1_1_1) to soften

my

12 grain water hardness in my home for $2695. This includes installation,
tax, and lifetime warranty on some main components of the softener.

I'm also tempted to purchase the Kenmore 275A from Sears for $599

(http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...vertical=APPL&

pid=04238827000). Tax will be $50 and installation about $250. So that's
$900 dollars.

But the Kenmore warranty is only 1 year. The Ecowater reseller keeps

saying

that their warranty is lifetime and that they have better quality parts,
better workmanship, claims are easily handled directly through them, etc.

Should I spend an additional $1800 on an Ecowater or am I getting a better
price/performance value from the Kenmore unit? My wife wants soft water

for

washing clothes and dishes and baby, while I want something to keep my
plumbing and appliances working well through the years.

Ecowater is the source for Sears Kenmore water softeners. Notice the

similarity in appearance. I would like to see that lifetime warranty on
paper and also to read any "outs" the dealer has to not honor it. Please
note that I am an employee of Sears Hardware. I'm sure that the Ecowater
unit is a good one but I'll bet the difference in price is mostly dealer
mark up to cover sales commission.