Rick

Default Any opinions on suctions-type swimming pool cleaners?

"Peabody" wrote in message news:OYbfe.2534$Fv.1000@lakeread01...
I'm tired of vacuuming my plaster pool, and am looking at automatic
cleaners, particularly the suction type.

The Kreepy Krauly appears to be the most popular, but I see some
complaints about the frequent need to buy repair parts. Apparently
this is part of their business plan.

My local pool store guy sells the KK, but prefers the Polaris 140,
which is $50 less, and doesn't need parts all the time.

And then there's the Baracuda, about which I know nothing.

I would appreciate any opinions on these, or links to discussions
about them.

Skip the rest and get the best. Polaris 280.

Rick

"Peabody" wrote in message news:Nwcfe.2536$Fv.520@lakeread01...
Rick says...

I'm tired of vacuuming my plaster pool, and am looking
at automatic cleaners, particularly the suction type.

The Kreepy Krauly appears to be the most popular, but I
see some complaints about the frequent need to buy
repair parts. Apparently this is part of their
business plan.

My local pool store guy sells the KK, but prefers the
Polaris 140, which is $50 less, and doesn't need parts
all the time.

And then there's the Baracuda, about which I know
nothing.

I would appreciate any opinions on these, or links to
discussions about them.

Skip the rest and get the best. Polaris 280.

Thanks, but that model is a "pressure" cleaner. My pool
isn't plumbed for that.

Polaris 360 would be next best.

Rick

"Rick" wrote in message ink.net...
[...]

Meant to add the 360 requires a filter pump of 1HP or more.

SteveB

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Peabody" wrote in message
Rick says...

I'm tired of vacuuming my plaster pool, and am looking
at automatic cleaners, particularly the suction type.

The Kreepy Krauly appears to be the most popular, but I
see some complaints about the frequent need to buy
repair parts. Apparently this is part of their
business plan.

My local pool store guy sells the KK, but prefers the
Polaris 140, which is $50 less, and doesn't need parts
all the time.

And then there's the Baracuda, about which I know
nothing.

I would appreciate any opinions on these, or links to
discussions about them.

I have a Hayward Pool Vac Ultra. Got it on sale with rebate for $200. It
is a simple device, hooks up to the suction. I have a 38,000 gallon plaster
pool, and I am 102% satisfied with it. I investigated others, and found out
that you need additional pumps, and they all looked like a Rube Goldberg
contraption. Wheels of all sizes. Extra pumps. Flailing hoses. These are
S - I - M - P - L - E devices that work well. I am going into my third
summer with this little hard working robot. It is about one cubic foot
overall. My rich contractor BIL has a big Polaris that looks like an alien
landing ship on steroids. He saw mine work, and tossed his and got one.
His was always crapping out and getting tangled.

Steve

SteveB

wrote in message
On Sat, 07 May 2005 18:13:59 -0500, Peabody
wrote:

I'm tired of vacuuming my plaster pool, and am looking at automatic
cleaners, particularly the suction type.

I have a Hayward Navigator that runs 6 hours a day. I have had no
problems with it and it does a good job on the bottom and sides but it
won't climb stairs

I have a Hayward Ultra. Ditto on the stairs. But, heck, I just put it in
the pool and come back later and put the suction head on there to do the
stairs and anything else I can see. Minutes instead of hours.

Steve

Richard J Kinch

Peabody writes:

I would appreciate any opinions on these, or links to discussions
about them.

Polaris 180, 280, or 380. Pressure booster pump, not suction. Suction
side is inherently dismal performance.
Bill

wrote:

I'm tired of vacuuming my plaster pool, and am looking at automatic
cleaners, particularly the suction type.

The Kreepy Krauly appears to be the most popular, but I see some
complaints about the frequent need to buy repair parts. Apparently
this is part of their business plan.

My local pool store guy sells the KK, but prefers the Polaris 140,
which is $50 less, and doesn't need parts all the time.

And then there's the Baracuda, about which I know nothing.

I would appreciate any opinions on these, or links to discussions
about them.

Hey Peabody!
I am on my second inground vinyl liner pool and have been using the
"Polaris" pool cleaner quite successfully. It has a separate pump that
provides power for it to suck debris off the bottom of the pool and
store in a net bag as it rolls all over the bottom in random orbits.
It's not a cheap pool cleaner but it works good!

Regards,
Bill

SteveB

"Peabody" wrote in message
SteveB says...

I have a Hayward Pool Vac Ultra. Got it on sale with
rebate for $200. It is a simple device, hooks up to the
suction. I have a 38,000 gallon plaster pool, and I am
102% satisfied with it.

Thanks very much. For a suction cleaner, the Hayward is
beginning to look pretty good. Thanks for the
recommendation.

Gotta tell you, though. I had a problem with mine today. A rock got in
there. You take out five screws, and pull out the rock. It takes about two
minutes. It is a simple device, and I love it.

I call him Poolio. Throw him in the pool, and come back occasionally to see
if it has choked on a pebble. Then, you can put the roller head and pole on
the same hose, and get the places it didn't catch. Bing, bang, boom. GET A
LEAF CATCHER, about 8" in diameter, and 2 feet long. It will catch the
stuff before it goes to the filter.

After seeing all the complicated contraptions that are in use, I wonder why
anyone would use anything else. Geez. some others require ANOTHER pump, and
all sorts of stuff.

Watch for your local pool supplier to have a sale on them. I haven't
shopped the net for them, but I got mine for $200 locally with the rebate.
Maybe you can equal that deal online.

Steve

Richard J Kinch

Peabody writes:

Why is a suction-side cleaner worse than a pressure cleaner?

Because there is virtually no power there to do mechanical work.

The pressure-side power makes the cleaner scoot around like a rabbit,
covering the pool much faster. Meanwhile, the venturi effect makes it
circulate enormous volumes of water through the bag.

Being thus more effective, the cost is lower, because you run it on a timer
for short periods, not all the time, and the power cost is ultimately the
dominant true cost, not the purchase price.