SteveB

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Peabody" wrote in message
news:Nwcfe.2536$Fv.520@lakeread01...
Rick says...

I'm tired of vacuuming my plaster pool, and am looking
at automatic cleaners, particularly the suction type.

The Kreepy Krauly appears to be the most popular, but I
see some complaints about the frequent need to buy
repair parts. Apparently this is part of their
business plan.

My local pool store guy sells the KK, but prefers the
Polaris 140, which is $50 less, and doesn't need parts
all the time.

And then there's the Baracuda, about which I know
nothing.

I would appreciate any opinions on these, or links to
discussions about them.

I have a Hayward Pool Vac Ultra. Got it on sale with rebate for $200. It
is a simple device, hooks up to the suction. I have a 38,000 gallon plaster
pool, and I am 102% satisfied with it. I investigated others, and found out
that you need additional pumps, and they all looked like a Rube Goldberg
contraption. Wheels of all sizes. Extra pumps. Flailing hoses. These are
S - I - M - P - L - E devices that work well. I am going into my third
summer with this little hard working robot. It is about one cubic foot
overall. My rich contractor BIL has a big Polaris that looks like an alien
landing ship on steroids. He saw mine work, and tossed his and got one.
His was always crapping out and getting tangled.

Steve