Default Frameless shower door mounting

Hi, I'm about to start a big bathroom remodel, and I wanted to see if
anyone here had installed a frameless shower door before, and knows how
the door hinges attach to the framing behind the tile/backer board.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing the installation, but I will have the
walls stripped down to the studs. While it's open, I want to make sure
I install any necessary blocking to support a frameless shower door.

Is anything more than a stud required? I'll make sure there is a stud
coplanar with the center of the shower curb, with it's edge facing the
door edge.

Thanks,

Mike

adam

wrote
Hi, I'm about to start a big bathroom remodel, and I wanted to see if
anyone here had installed a frameless shower door before, and knows how
the door hinges attach to the framing behind the tile/backer board.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing the installation, but I will have the
walls stripped down to the studs. While it's open, I want to make sure
I install any necessary blocking to support a frameless shower door.

Is anything more than a stud required? I'll make sure there is a stud
coplanar with the center of the shower curb, with it's edge facing the
door edge.

Thanks,

Mike

Well Mike, normally when someone decides to put in a new shower door, and
they go frameless. There's no real project involved except getting old
caulking off. You do realize, a frameless still has framing on each side,
but not mounted to the glass, and also usually a sloped sill for water run
off back towards the unit. When someone decides on a frameless door, the
frame is installed with wall anchors and that's about it! So if you put
blocking or a stud in where the door is going to go, you will be far ahead
of those that just replace a door.

adam wrote:
You do realize, a frameless still has framing on each side,
but not mounted to the glass, and also usually a sloped sill for

water run
off back towards the unit.

Thanks for the info, but I think you're talking about a
"semi-frameless" shower door. Mine will have no frame anywhere, and
just three or four hinges connecting it to the wall. Do a Google Image
Search for "frameless shower door." Here's an example:
http://www.showerdoorcanada.com/photos/12.html

Do these hinges also just require a stud?

Thanks,
Mike

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
ups.com...
adam wrote:
You do realize, a frameless still has framing on each side,
but not mounted to the glass, and also usually a sloped sill for

water run
off back towards the unit.

Thanks for the info, but I think you're talking about a
"semi-frameless" shower door. Mine will have no frame anywhere, and
just three or four hinges connecting it to the wall. Do a Google Image
Search for "frameless shower door." Here's an example:
http://www.showerdoorcanada.com/photos/12.html

Do these hinges also just require a stud?

Thanks,
Mike

yes, but typically they are installed after the tile, with screws through
holes in the grout line or the tile itself. fill the hole with silicone
first before installing the hinge for a water barrier.

adam

wrote
Thanks for the info, but I think you're talking about a
"semi-frameless" shower door. Mine will have no frame anywhere, and
just three or four hinges connecting it to the wall. Do a Google Image
Search for "frameless shower door." Here's an example:
http://www.showerdoorcanada.com/photos/12.html

Do these hinges also just require a stud?

Hmmmmm, never seen one like that. Exactly how does it keep water from going
on the floor, or doesn't it? There must be a gap at the pivot area,
otherwise the glass would rub, also no latch strike channel. Is there just
a couple of door stops on the latch side? No _H_ channel what-so-ever.
Maybe I'm missing the obvious?

Yeah, I'm new to these types of doors too, but these pure frameless are
the first ones my wife and I saw, and we like the way they look. It
sounds like they are made to be very close to the wall. The hinges keep
swing the door back to center and dampen, so you don't need any stops.
I think the gaps around the door are much smaller than the thickness of
the glass, so you don't get water bouncing through the cracks, and a
mild slope on the curb should keep the water going the right way when
it gets all the way down.

I called the glass shop today and they said that as long as I have a
stud parallel to the curb's center line, the hinges will be fully
supported (long stainless screws), so I guess that answers my original
question.

-Mike

Murray Peterson

"adam" wrote in
:

Hmmmmm, never seen one like that. Exactly how does it keep water from
going on the floor, or doesn't it? There must be a gap at the pivot
area, otherwise the glass would rub, also no latch strike channel. Is
there just a couple of door stops on the latch side? No _H_ channel
what-so-ever. Maybe I'm missing the obvious?

There is a plastic "sweeper" on three sides of the door -- it's not a
perfect seal, but I have never had water come through our door. No stops
either -- the door swings freely inwards or outwards.
MikeP

In article F5X8e.89591$cg1.20007@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net, says...

Hmmmmm, never seen one like that. Exactly how does it keep water from going
on the floor, or doesn't it? .... snip

Look at
http://www.alumaxbath.com/ for some pictures and
installation details.