Yeah, I'm new to these types of doors too, but these pure frameless are
the first ones my wife and I saw, and we like the way they look. It
sounds like they are made to be very close to the wall. The hinges keep
swing the door back to center and dampen, so you don't need any stops.
I think the gaps around the door are much smaller than the thickness of
the glass, so you don't get water bouncing through the cracks, and a
mild slope on the curb should keep the water going the right way when
it gets all the way down.

I called the glass shop today and they said that as long as I have a
stud parallel to the curb's center line, the hinges will be fully
supported (long stainless screws), so I guess that answers my original
question.

-Mike