Thanks, that's exactly the kind of insight I'm looking for.

I was thinking about stacking two studs face-out instead of edge-out to
give me that extra target area. This would also eliminate the
possibility of a screw going into the crack between two edge-out studs.

-Mike

Murray Peterson wrote:
wrote in news:1113764959.510653.30920
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Hi, I'm about to start a big bathroom remodel, and I wanted to see

if
anyone here had installed a frameless shower door before, and knows

how
the door hinges attach to the framing behind the tile/backer board.

Our shower door is a frameless. You should put in two studs where

you
think the door will go -- by the time the shower is built, your
measurements may have shifted enough to drift too far off center from

single stud.

The hinges are held on with long screws that go through your tile.

In our
case, none of the screws lined up with the mortar joints, and we had

drill 8 holes through porcelain tile -- no fun, but it all worked out

fine.