adam

wrote
Hi, I'm about to start a big bathroom remodel, and I wanted to see if
anyone here had installed a frameless shower door before, and knows how
the door hinges attach to the framing behind the tile/backer board.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing the installation, but I will have the
walls stripped down to the studs. While it's open, I want to make sure
I install any necessary blocking to support a frameless shower door.

Is anything more than a stud required? I'll make sure there is a stud
coplanar with the center of the shower curb, with it's edge facing the
door edge.

Thanks,

Mike

Well Mike, normally when someone decides to put in a new shower door, and
they go frameless. There's no real project involved except getting old
caulking off. You do realize, a frameless still has framing on each side,
but not mounted to the glass, and also usually a sloped sill for water run
off back towards the unit. When someone decides on a frameless door, the
frame is installed with wall anchors and that's about it! So if you put
blocking or a stud in where the door is going to go, you will be far ahead
of those that just replace a door.