Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Gymmy Bob

Falling water, nuclear, solar, mice on a treadmill, children on a treadmill
etc..

"Chloe" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess it depends on
what
environment you want to live in. I prefer to have some sunshine and

clouds
in the sky.

How do you propose heating your home?

Most all forms of heat require burning something

Solar doesn't. Well, technically I guess it does since it's the sun that's
burning, but it doesn't pollute the earth's air in the process.

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
Serendipity wrote:

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

Grain is a renewable resource unlike fossil fuels.

Renewable makes it a [possibly] sustainable resource but has nothing to
do with its environmental friendliness. I don't know how much energy can
be extracted by burning raw grains (without conversion to a different
from first) but I would suspect the conversion is quite inefficient and
is not in fact sustainable in the large scale (i.e. we could not grow
enough to heat all our homes). That is only a guess though.

That said, if there is an excess of grains going very cheap nearby you
and they can be burned relatively cleanly, it might be a good idea under
certain circumstances both from an environmental point of view (less of
one million evils) and sustainability (local use only).

PK
Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle of Epping Forest

Serendipity wrote:

Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle of Epping Forest '' ) wrote:

Serendipity wrote:

Ron Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:41:30 -0500, wrote:

Have you looked at corn stoves, they work well.

Are they really cost effective tho?

If the price of corn is low, they can be cost effective.

The ones we were looking can be seen at
http://www.GrainStovesInc.com
They burn wheat, rye, and corn so if the price of corn is high one
season, you might be able to get one or the other grain cheaper. The
nice thing about these stoves is they are environmentally friendly too.

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

Grain is a renewable resource unlike fossil fuels.

It currently takes fossil fuels to grow the grain, a lot of fossil
fuels, and there is great waste in the process, the non-food biomass
being under-utilized, or even not used at all. Taking this high value
food product and burning it for energy is like, well, it's like taking
high value petroleum fractions and not using them in the chemical
industry but instead burning them for energy. Oops. I guess you ain't
alone in this.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is

Gymmy Bob wrote:

Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess it depends on what
environment you want to live in. I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds
in the sky.

When the temp gets hot enough, there is almost no smoke. These materials
are gasified and consumed to ash. The increased ash content of corn fits
in well with what I've read about corn cob gasifiers.

Gymmy Bob wrote:

Falling water, nuclear, solar, mice on a treadmill, children on a treadmill
etc..

You are going to heat your house with the heat of people you invite over
to exercise? Incomplete combustion has nothing to do with a properly
functioning biomass burner. When the temperature gets hot enough, the
smoke burns, almost no visible smoke remains. Telling folks to use
natural gas is kind of hackle raising to me since obviously it's a
fossil fuel, and they sold people in Washington state on it and then
built a pipeline to the East and now the price is out of control going
up.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
what Oscar Wilde went to prison for, he ought to have got the Victoria
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"
Joel M. Eichen

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:13:44 -0500, wrote:

The ones we were looking can be seen at
http://www.GrainStovesInc.com
They burn wheat, rye, and corn so if the price of corn is high one

Those are pretty neat stoves

I wasn't aware that one could also burn wheat or rye as
well as corn. That's a good idea as it gives you
multiple sources of fuel

If its snowing outside you can bake bread with some leftover fuel ....

The only stoves Ive seen here in the midwest (north
Missouri) are the corn and wood pellet burning kind

Hmm.... let me know how that wheat/rye/corn stove works
out. That might be a better stove to get than a corn
only unit

Serendipity wrote:

wrote:

Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess it depends on what
environment you want to live in. I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds
in the sky.

How do you propose heating your home?

Most all forms of heat require burning something

Ideally, solar heat would be great and doesn't involve burning.

Of course who needs to heat his house when it's a hot day outside
already.

Cost of
set up may or may not be fairly expensive. Geothermal (no burning) is
another method;

Although not without potential pitfalls. Attempts to use geothermal near
Yellowstone have reportedly affected the regularity of that Park's
geysers.

cost to retrofit our house is $14,000. Electricity is
way to expensive here to heat with. So, you are correct at burning of
something for heat. How efficient that burning is makes a big
difference! Corn burners are running at 86+% efficiency using a
renewable resource. Not bad in my books.

Electric space heaters operate at 100% efficiency but that doesn't mean
they are cheap to operate or good for the overall environment. I'd
rather see you burn farm waste than food. For example, the corn cobs.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
what Oscar Wilde went to prison for, he ought to have got the Victoria
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"

Joel M. Eichen

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:32:45 -0400, "Gymmy Bob"
wrote:

Fossil fuels are still renewable and being cxreated as we speak. Maybe not
as fast as trees though.

TRUE, there are dinosaurs who are giving up their lives as we speak.

Joel

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Serendipity wrote:

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

Grain is a renewable resource unlike fossil fuels.

Renewable makes it a [possibly] sustainable resource but has nothing to
do with its environmental friendliness. I don't know how much energy can
be extracted by burning raw grains (without conversion to a different
from first) but I would suspect the conversion is quite inefficient and
is not in fact sustainable in the large scale (i.e. we could not grow
enough to heat all our homes). That is only a guess though.

That said, if there is an excess of grains going very cheap nearby you
and they can be burned relatively cleanly, it might be a good idea under
certain circumstances both from an environmental point of view (less of
one million evils) and sustainability (local use only).

PK

Joel M. Eichen

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:18:51 -0400, Serendipity

Anything that uses a renewable source of fuel rather than fossil fuel is
environmentally friendly.

Im curious... what will you burn if you should buy the
grain stove?

Will you burn wheat or rye.... instead of corn?

We live in an area where all are plentiful so it will depend on the unit
price of the grain when we go to buy. Some of these stoves also burn
cherry pits. If you have a source for those, it might be worth looking
into.

I didn't want to get into this but the title says PELLET stoves. Would
that be rabbit pellets by any chance?

Joel

Serendipity

Joel M. Eichen wrote:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:18:51 -0400, Serendipity

Anything that uses a renewable source of fuel rather than fossil fuel is
environmentally friendly.

Im curious... what will you burn if you should buy the
grain stove?

Will you burn wheat or rye.... instead of corn?

We live in an area where all are plentiful so it will depend on the unit
price of the grain when we go to buy. Some of these stoves also burn
cherry pits. If you have a source for those, it might be worth looking
into.

I didn't want to get into this but the title says PELLET stoves. Would
that be rabbit pellets by any chance?

Nope, wood or agro pellets. Not sure what agro pellets are. I'm still
researching this.

Joel

--
Think beyond your assumptions.
Rod Speed

Chloe wrote in message
news
wrote

Burning anything is not environmental friendly.

I guess it depends on what environment you want to live in. I prefer to have
some sunshine and clouds in the sky.

How do you propose heating your home?

You could live where no heat is necessary.

Most all forms of heat require burning something

Solar doesn't. Well, technically I guess it does since it's the sun that's
burning,

Nope, its a massive nuke quite a distance away.

but it doesn't pollute the earth's air in the process.

It does, actually.

Rod Speed

Gymmy Bob wrote in
message ...

Falling water, nuclear, solar,

Fine.

mice on a treadmill, children on a treadmill etc..

Both of those pollute.

"Chloe" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess it depends on
what
environment you want to live in. I prefer to have some sunshine and

clouds
in the sky.

How do you propose heating your home?

Most all forms of heat require burning something

Solar doesn't. Well, technically I guess it does since it's the sun that's
burning, but it doesn't pollute the earth's air in the process.

Rod Speed

wrote in message

Gymmy Bob wrote:

Falling water, nuclear, solar, mice on a treadmill, children on a treadmill
etc..

You are going to heat your house with the
heat of people you invite over to exercise?

They dont need to exercise if its insulated well enough.

Incomplete combustion has nothing to do with a properly
functioning biomass burner. When the temperature gets hot
enough, the smoke burns, almost no visible smoke remains.

Still pollutes most obviously with the CO2 produced.

Telling folks to use natural gas is kind of hackle raising to me

Your problem.

since obviously it's a fossil fuel, and they sold people
in Washington state on it and then built a pipeline to
the East and now the price is out of control going up.

Move to somewhere which has cheap natural gas, if they'll have you.

Rod Speed

Bill Bonde wrote in message
Gymmy Bob wrote

Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess
it depends on what environment you want to live in.
I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds in the sky.

When the temp gets hot enough, there is almost no smoke.

The CO2 is still not environmentally friendly.

These materials are gasified and consumed to ash.

And the ash isnt that environmentally friendly either.

The increased ash content of corn fits in well
with what I've read about corn cob gasifiers.

And you still have the environmental unfriendlyness of corn growing.

Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle of Epping Forest

Rod Speed wrote:

Bill Bonde wrote in message
Gymmy Bob wrote

Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess
it depends on what environment you want to live in.
I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds in the sky.

When the temp gets hot enough, there is almost no smoke.

The CO2 is still not environmentally friendly.

But since we are talking about biomass, this is part of the fast CO2
cycle. Just grown more biomass.

These materials are gasified and consumed to ash.

And the ash isnt that environmentally friendly either.

Coal ash isn't, but wood ash can be fine. They used to slash burn all
the time around here. The new trees grow in the old tree's ash. The burn
speeds up the process.

The increased ash content of corn fits in well
with what I've read about corn cob gasifiers.

And you still have the environmental unfriendlyness of corn growing.

But you have to grow the corn to eat the grain. I'm talking about using
the farm residue in gasification.

Gymmy Bob wrote:

Natural gas is much cheaper where I am than firewood and much cleaner. I
like to be able to breath in the morning.

Natural gas is limited fossil fuel whose price is rapidly going up due
to short supply, like it or not.

wrote in message

Gymmy Bob wrote:

Falling water, nuclear, solar, mice on a treadmill, children on a treadmill
etc..

You are going to heat your house with the
heat of people you invite over to exercise?

They dont need to exercise if its insulated well enough.

They could live in a dewar.

Incomplete combustion has nothing to do with a properly
functioning biomass burner. When the temperature gets hot
enough, the smoke burns, almost no visible smoke remains.

Still pollutes most obviously with the CO2 produced.

It's the cycle of life, porc chop.

Telling folks to use natural gas is kind of hackle raising to me

Your problem.

since obviously it's a fossil fuel, and they sold people
in Washington state on it and then built a pipeline to
the East and now the price is out of control going up.

Move to somewhere which has cheap natural gas, if they'll have you.

Cheap natural gas only exists where they haven't got the pipelines built
to the places where it isn't cheap.

"Joel M. Eichen" wrote:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:18:51 -0400, Serendipity

Anything that uses a renewable source of fuel rather than fossil fuel is
environmentally friendly.

Im curious... what will you burn if you should buy the
grain stove?

Will you burn wheat or rye.... instead of corn?

We live in an area where all are plentiful so it will depend on the unit
price of the grain when we go to buy. Some of these stoves also burn
cherry pits. If you have a source for those, it might be worth looking
into.

I didn't want to get into this but the title says PELLET stoves. Would
that be rabbit pellets by any chance?

Dried rabbit scat should burn fine. It might even work in these stoves.
And those green pellet things they feed the rabbits might work too. I
don't know about the bunnies themselves though, might be a non-flammable
in-between state.

Gymmy Bob wrote:

Fossil fuels are still renewable and being cxreated as we speak. Maybe not
as fast as trees though.

While there are various theories, I don't know that we know that crude
oil like we are drilling today is still being created.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
what Oscar Wilde went to prison for, he ought to have got the Victoria
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"

Rod Speed

Bill Bonde wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote
Bill Bonde wrote
Gymmy Bob wrote

Falling water, nuclear, solar, mice on a treadmill,
children on a treadmill etc..

You are going to heat your house with the
heat of people you invite over to exercise?

They dont need to exercise if its insulated well enough.

They could live in a dewar.

Dont need to to get that effect.

Incomplete combustion has nothing to do with a properly
functioning biomass burner. When the temperature gets hot
enough, the smoke burns, almost no visible smoke remains.

Still pollutes most obviously with the CO2 produced.

It's the cycle of life,

Nope.

Telling folks to use natural gas is kind of hackle raising to me

Your problem.

since obviously it's a fossil fuel, and they sold people
in Washington state on it and then built a pipeline to
the East and now the price is out of control going up.

Move to somewhere which has cheap natural gas, if they'll have you.

Cheap natural gas only exists where they haven't got
the pipelines built to the places where it isn't cheap.

Wrong. As always.

Rod Speed

Bill Bonde wrote in
message ...
Rod Speed wrote
Bill Bonde wrote
Gymmy Bob wrote

Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess
it depends on what environment you want to live in.
I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds in the sky.

When the temp gets hot enough, there is almost no smoke.

The CO2 is still not environmentally friendly.

But since we are talking about biomass, this is part
of the fast CO2 cycle. Just grown more biomass.

Not even possible to grow enough to stop the
CO2 level in the atmosphere from increasing.

These materials are gasified and consumed to ash.

And the ash isnt that environmentally friendly either.

Coal ash isn't, but wood ash can be fine.

Nope.

They used to slash burn all the time around here.

Another environmental obscenity.

The new trees grow in the old tree's ash.
The burn speeds up the process.

Only because it eliminates the competition.

The increased ash content of corn fits in well
with what I've read about corn cob gasifiers.

And you still have the environmental unfriendlyness of corn growing.

But you have to grow the corn to eat the grain.

**** all of it gets eaten.

I'm talking about using the farm residue in gasification.

Not viable for anyone but the farmer.

Gymmy Bob

There is no short supply of petroleum. Fossil fuel has yet to be determined.
The short supply is in the minds of the brainwashed USanians in an effort to
rage war on others.

Trees are becoming in short supply and we face a shortage of them more than
"fossil" fuels. Why do you think there is so much "aspenite" and garbage
board, OSB plywood around. The 200-500 year old tress are fast disappearing
and we live with softer versions now.

We have killed off all our "rain forests" and now we try to control the rest
of the world.

wrote in message

Gymmy Bob wrote:

[...]

Gymmy Bob

Children are venerially created.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Gymmy Bob wrote in
message ...

Falling water, nuclear, solar,

Fine.

mice on a treadmill, children on a treadmill etc..

Both of those pollute.

"Chloe" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess it depends

on
what
environment you want to live in. I prefer to have some sunshine and

clouds
in the sky.

How do you propose heating your home?

Most all forms of heat require burning something

Solar doesn't. Well, technically I guess it does since it's the sun

that's
burning, but it doesn't pollute the earth's air in the process.

Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle of Epping Forest

Rod Speed wrote:

Bill Bonde wrote in
message ...
Rod Speed wrote
Bill Bonde wrote
Gymmy Bob wrote

Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess
it depends on what environment you want to live in.
I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds in the sky.

When the temp gets hot enough, there is almost no smoke.

The CO2 is still not environmentally friendly.

But since we are talking about biomass, this is part
of the fast CO2 cycle. Just grown more biomass.

Not even possible to grow enough to stop the
CO2 level in the atmosphere from increasing.

Now you are changing the subject. The idea of using biomass is that it
releases CO2 that was sequestered in the biomass when it grew. Similar
amounts of CO2 are then used to grow back that biomass. This is a carbon
cycle, a rapid carbon cycle. There are other carbon cycles involving
time frames that you wouldn't want to wait up tea for.

These materials are gasified and consumed to ash.

And the ash isnt that environmentally friendly either.

Coal ash isn't, but wood ash can be fine.

Nope.

Like it or not but forests have burned and brush fires have exists since
way before you put up your penthouse in the boarder scrub. In all that
time, nature has survived.

They used to slash burn all the time around here.

Another environmental obscenity.

The forests are optimized to have fire. We are learning this. Small
fires often or huge fire storms once in a while, take your choice. I
think that gasification of the forest debris load could ultimately
emulate forest fire without the forest fire in at least some of our
forests.

The new trees grow in the old tree's ash.
The burn speeds up the process.

Only because it eliminates the competition.

It speeds the availability of the minerals that would otherwise remain
trapped in the rotting logs and debris. This lets us jump ahead to the
valuable trees and avoid the broadleaf waste.

The increased ash content of corn fits in well
with what I've read about corn cob gasifiers.

And you still have the environmental unfriendlyness of corn growing.

But you have to grow the corn to eat the grain.

**** all of it gets eaten.

Whether there is too much corn right now doesn't mean that we don't need
any.

I'm talking about using the farm residue in gasification.

Not viable for anyone but the farmer.

Oh, I agree, farmers should be the ones using farm residues. Of course
given that some people seem to want to buy corn to burn, maybe there is
a market for the cobs.

Gymmy Bob wrote:

There is no short supply of petroleum. Fossil fuel has yet to be determined.
The short supply is in the minds of the brainwashed USanians in an effort to
rage war on others.

Good grief. If you want to talk about politics, you are the one who
changed the subject.

Trees are becoming in short supply and we face a shortage of them more than
"fossil" fuels. Why do you think there is so much "aspenite" and garbage
board, OSB plywood around. The 200-500 year old tress are fast disappearing
and we live with softer versions now.

Wood is cheap here in PNW. If you don't have at least a log truck of
even perfectly straight hundred foot logs, don't bother. It's just cut
down and spit into firewood.

We have killed off all our "rain forests" and now we try to control the rest
of the world.

What rain forests in the US? There's one in the Olympic National Park.
Rains a lot, not destroyed.