Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

Default How to keep locks from getting frozen?

For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In chi.general Ajanta wrote:
: For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
: I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
: from getting frozen?

: Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

If your already locked out, WD-40 will unfreeze it, but it's going to freeze
again... so if you can avoid using it, your better off in the long run...

Get some lock deicer from your local auto parts store (I think walgreens and
CVS carry them too... never lube it with liquid, use graphite instead... if
there is a michaels near you, they also sell it (and i think most autoparts
stores have it)

Many times I've been at work and just had to warm up the key in my hand, and
put it in the lock and repeat until i got the cylinder warm enough to turn...
especially bad after something like last week where it goes from sleet to
snow and then cold...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Ajanta
wrote:

For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

I've got three house locks that are frozen right now too. I think it's because
we had those really warm days last week, then torrential rains for a few days
then it went arctic on us. Unusual weather pattern is to blame.

Later today I'm taking the lock sets off and bringing them inside to thaw then
dry out then I'll reattach it all. It should be fine then.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:

Many times I've been at work and just had to warm up the key in my hand, and
put it in the lock and repeat until i got the cylinder warm enough to turn...

It works a lot faster if you warm the key up with a cigarette lighter.

--
Regards,

Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Dec 4, 3:02 am, Ajanta wrote:
For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

DON'T use WD-40. At low temps it turns into a gel-like gunk and will
gum up the locks.

There are special lock deicers sold all over the place (gas stations
for instance) that are basically an aerosol alcohol. You just squirt
some of it into the locks and they will take care of the ice. Then
next summer you might want to spray some lock lubricant (not oil or
WD-40) into the locks.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

"Ajanta" wrote in message
For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

I can tell you that if you use WD-40, you shall have frozen locks fer sure.
That stuff does freeze.

The lock-thaw mentioned in these posts is alcohol in a pressurized can, and
it will thaw your locks, but will not keep them from freezing again.

The correct procedure is, if it's already frozen, use the lock-thaw to get
into the car/open the gate lock, whatever, then when the alcohol has all
evaporated, 5 minutes max, squirt in graphite lock fluid.

Graphite lock fluid can be found at all hardware stores and most drug
stores. It comes in pressurized can or plastic squirt bottle. It is black
(that's the graphite) and you insert the nozzle, squirt it in, move the key
around a few times, and the liquid carrier drys leaving the lock innards
coated with graphite.

One good application, and the lock is good for the rest of the winter.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"Ron T." wrote:

One good application, and the lock is good for the rest of the winter.

speaking of locks, there was some slight drama in my alley last night. Guy
dumped a stolen car in my alley and got into another stolen vehicle to get away
from someone chasing him. He leaves the first stolen vehicle running. I called
police and when they show up they show me how he got it started.

you take a screwdriver thingie that's knurled like a drill bit and jam it into
the keyslot of the ignition. Once it's jammed in there you hit it with a hammer
then take a visegrips get ahold of the jammed driver and pull the guts of the
keyslot out of the steering wheel. You then short the wire leads to start the
car. Cop reenacted it for me which was cool.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote:
In article ,
"Ron T." wrote:

One good application, and the lock is good for the rest of the winter.

speaking of locks, there was some slight drama in my alley last night. Guy
dumped a stolen car in my alley and got into another stolen vehicle to get away
from someone chasing him. He leaves the first stolen vehicle running. I called
police and when they show up they show me how he got it started.

you take a screwdriver thingie that's knurled like a drill bit and jam it into
the keyslot of the ignition. Once it's jammed in there you hit it with a hammer
then take a visegrips get ahold of the jammed driver and pull the guts of the
keyslot out of the steering wheel. You then short the wire leads to start the
car. Cop reenacted it for me which was cool.

How old was the car? When some scumbags tried to do that to my '99
Silverado, the gas pump shut off so they couldn't get anywhere.

Michele
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Michele
wrote:

kenji wrote:
In article ,
"Ron T." wrote:

[...]

Stolen car left in front of my garage running was a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The thief had crunched the left rear quarter panel probaly going around an icey
turn. The second vehicle he got into which was also stolen was a fullsize
van...conversion van with the ladder and the pleated curtains in all the
windows. The daughter saw the van and the van's driver, not me.
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , (Todd H.) wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key stuff and lock
de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from freezing? if the polwder is
in the cylinder, then water get also gets into the cylinder then it freezes
wouldn't you just have a frozen cylinder that doesn't turn?
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , (Todd H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.) wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key stuff and lock
de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from freezing? if the polwder
is
in the cylinder, then water get also gets into the cylinder then it freezes
wouldn't you just have a frozen cylinder that doesn't turn?

Dunno, but I will say I use powdered graphite at the first sign of
lock stickiness in the cold, and I haven't had a lock freeze on me.

I don't go round pouring water into my lock cylinders though. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

neither do I, but the recent rains saoked my garage locks.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.) wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key stuff and
lock de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from freezing? if the
polwder is
in the cylinder, then water get also gets into the cylinder then it
freezes wouldn't you just have a frozen cylinder that doesn't turn?

Dunno, but I will say I use powdered graphite at the first sign of
lock stickiness in the cold, and I haven't had a lock freeze on me.

I don't go round pouring water into my lock cylinders though. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

neither do I, but the recent rains saoked my garage locks.

You need an awning over your garage-side door(s).
Posted to chi.general,misc.consumers.house

"Ajanta" wrote in message
For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

I just went thru a fun ice lock up scenario. My car door froze. The handle
wouldn't pull up
and the lock cylinder wouldn't turn. I tried de-icer, WD40 couldn't get it
to open.
(oh by the way the passenger side handle is broken off, cause I didn't fix
it right away)
Went back to the car later (I was at the patio) still couldn't get it.
So I had the mofo
towed back to my house. My brother had a heat gun so I baked the lock
cylinder and handle for a while
and was able to pry the door open. Now I park it in the garage, and when I
go out, if its nasty I leave the window open enough to pull on the inside
door lever. I probably should get the passenger door handle fixed eh? lol

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.) wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key stuff and
lock de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from freezing? if the
polwder is
in the cylinder, then water get also gets into the cylinder then it
freezes wouldn't you just have a frozen cylinder that doesn't turn?

Dunno, but I will say I use powdered graphite at the first sign of
lock stickiness in the cold, and I haven't had a lock freeze on me.

I don't go round pouring water into my lock cylinders though. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

neither do I, but the recent rains saoked my garage locks.

You need an awning over your garage-side door(s).

awnings are oh so 1960's
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.)
wrote:

[...]

But standing out in the cold while your locks are frozen is a timeless
tradition!

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.)
wrote:

[...]

duh, I use the overhead doors

actually the main prob is I went to a gable roof and the slope drains over the
service door...I haven't installed gutters yet.
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji writes:

duh, I use the overhead doors

actually the main prob is I went to a gable roof and the slope drains over the
service door...I haven't installed gutters yet.

Ah ha!

I hereby update my recommendation from "graphite can help to prevent
recurrence" to "graphite or gutters can help prevent recurrence."

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Scott en Aztlán wrote:

You can either move to sunny SoCal where your locks won't freeze, or
get a car like mine which doesn't have door locks.

Then the solinoids can freeze up on you

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote:

In article ,
"Ron T." wrote:

One good application, and the lock is good for the rest of the winter.

speaking of locks, there was some slight drama in my alley last night. Guy
dumped a stolen car in my alley and got into another stolen vehicle to get away
from someone chasing him. He leaves the first stolen vehicle running. I called
police and when they show up they show me how he got it started.

you take a screwdriver thingie that's knurled like a drill bit and jam it into
the keyslot of the ignition. Once it's jammed in there you hit it with a hammer
then take a visegrips get ahold of the jammed driver and pull the guts of the
keyslot out of the steering wheel. You then short the wire leads to start the
car. Cop reenacted it for me which was cool.

I've seen it done with a slide-hammer.

trent
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote:
In article , Ajanta
wrote:

For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

I've got three house locks that are frozen right now too. I think it's because
we had those really warm days last week, then torrential rains for a few days
then it went arctic on us. Unusual weather pattern is to blame.

Later today I'm taking the lock sets off and bringing them inside to thaw then
dry out then I'll reattach it all. It should be fine then.

Why not use a blow dryer on high heat and high fan....that shoiuld dry
them out.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote:
In article , Ajanta
wrote:

For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

I've got three house locks that are frozen right now too. I think it's because
we had those really warm days last week, then torrential rains for a few days
then it went arctic on us. Unusual weather pattern is to blame.

Later today I'm taking the lock sets off and bringing them inside to thaw then
dry out then I'll reattach it all. It should be fine then.

Why not use a blow dryer on high heat and high fan....that should dry
them out.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
"USA1st" wrote:

kenji wrote:
In article , Ajanta
wrote:

For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

I've got three house locks that are frozen right now too. I think it's
because
we had those really warm days last week, then torrential rains for a few
days
then it went arctic on us. Unusual weather pattern is to blame.

Later today I'm taking the lock sets off and bringing them inside to thaw
then
dry out then I'll reattach it all. It should be fine then.

Why not use a blow dryer on high heat and high fan....that should dry
them out.

because I would have to sit there for an hour

plans are to just put the locksets in the furnace register for 1/2 day
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, kenji wrote:

In article . com,
"USA1st" wrote:

kenji wrote:
In article , Ajanta
wrote:

[...]

or how about in the oven for an hour?
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.)
wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.)
wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key stuff
and lock de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from freezing?
if the polwder is
in the cylinder, then water get also gets into the cylinder
then it freezes wouldn't you just have a frozen cylinder that
doesn't turn?

Dunno, but I will say I use powdered graphite at the first sign
of lock stickiness in the cold, and I haven't had a lock freeze
on me.

I don't go round pouring water into my lock cylinders though.
:-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

neither do I, but the recent rains saoked my garage locks.

You need an awning over your garage-side door(s).

awnings are oh so 1960's

But standing out in the cold while your locks are frozen is a
timeless tradition!

duh, I use the overhead doors

Then you're not locked out. You hit the button and the door opens. FWIW
you can get house door locks that have remotes too.

actually the main prob is I went to a gable roof and the slope drains
over the service door...I haven't installed gutters yet.

Gutters or a simple Drip Cap would solve the problem.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

barbie gee wrote in
g.pbz:

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, kenji wrote:

In article . com,
"USA1st" wrote:

kenji wrote:
In article , Ajanta
wrote:

[...]

Many of the new locks have plastic components. Not a good idea.
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.)
wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.)
wrote:

[...]

you sell lock sets?
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

"HUey" wrote in message
I had a padlock that was so frozen that I couldn't even fit the key
inside.
I took a propane torch and heated it up for a couple of minutes. Water
was
dripping out of it, and you could also hear water boiling. It's been fine
ever since, even at night when it really drops down in temperature.
--
HUey

I think that it is just plain scared of you now. :-)
Tomes

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.)
wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd
H.) wrote:

[...]

Yes, but you can get the same ones at HD. Just go with Schlage, and stay
away from Kwikset (and no-name brands).
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.)
wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd
H.) wrote:

[...]

for the garage I want one of those that you push buttons to open the deadbolt
on the service door. I like the one here at work but it's commercial grade and
probably 400+dollars..seems the ones in HD and Lowes Menards are about 100.

Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd
H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,

(Todd H.) wrote:

[...]

Here's what I have:

http://www.precisionentry.com/produc...px?feature=330

The keypad is in the $100 range, while the remote control deadbolt is
closer to $200.
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Eric
wrote:

http://www.precisionentry.com/produc...px?feature=330

Asians in advertising!
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd
H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,

(Todd H.) wrote:

[...]

I go in and out of the garage a ton. Having to carry that remote might be a
pain in the ass because let's say I'm working on a project in the garage. I've
got my work clothes on and my keys are on the kitchen counter. I run in to pee
run back out and **** I didn't take the little remote....it's kinda like still
having to have the key with me. The touchpad eliminates that prob.

I need a bathroom in my garage. I've tried doing what they do on gas company
trucks but that gets messy and nasty after a while. Not to mention it's kind of
embarrasing opening the alley overhead door and pouring it into the alley.
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house

In chi.general Doug Miller wrote:
: In article , Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:

:Many times I've been at work and just had to warm up the key in my hand, and
:put it in the lock and repeat until i got the cylinder warm enough to turn...

: It works a lot faster if you warm the key up with a cigarette lighter.

That assumes one has a lighter... when standing out in the parking lot one
uses what one has available... what was more frustrating for me is it's
always the alarm key that freezes, not the door lock... so I could get in the
car, but the alarm would run out the battery if I did...

Oh the torment...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)
Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house
tim tim is offline

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.)
wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key stuff and
lock de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from freezing? if
the polwder is in the cylinder, then water get also gets into
the cylinder then it freezes wouldn't you just have a frozen
cylinder that doesn't turn?

powdered graphite is v e r y slippery. It sticks to the metal like
white on rice. Any water that gets in and freezes basically winds up
freezing surrounded by graphite, so when pressure is applied
(inserting key, turning same, etc.) the ice just slides along on the
graphite.

To keep doors themselves from freezing/sticking, just use some
silicon spray. BE VERY CAREFUL - DO NOT GET THE SPRAY ON YOUR PAINT
OR GLASS! However you come up with to do it, just cover the surface
of the weatherstripping with silicone and no more frozen doors. Also
works well in the track for the glass window in the door.

Frozen Doors? CathyLee Home Repair 12 January 23rd 06 05:01 AM
Frozen padlock Jim Home Repair 10 January 20th 06 09:43 PM
Septic Frozen? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 27 December 20th 05 11:17 AM
Frozen acetylen ? Francois Metalworking 3 January 24th 05 02:02 PM
frozen glue Mike in Mystic Woodworking 12 February 1st 04 01:37 PM