Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

Default How to keep locks from getting frozen?

On Dec 4, 3:02 am, Ajanta wrote:
For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
from getting frozen?

Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

DON'T use WD-40. At low temps it turns into a gel-like gunk and will
gum up the locks.

There are special lock deicers sold all over the place (gas stations
for instance) that are basically an aerosol alcohol. You just squirt
some of it into the locks and they will take care of the ice. Then
next summer you might want to spray some lock lubricant (not oil or
WD-40) into the locks.