Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house
kenji kenji is offline

Default How to keep locks from getting frozen?

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd H.)
wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,
(Todd H.)
wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key stuff
and lock de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from freezing?
if the polwder is
in the cylinder, then water get also gets into the cylinder
then it freezes wouldn't you just have a frozen cylinder that
doesn't turn?

Dunno, but I will say I use powdered graphite at the first sign
of lock stickiness in the cold, and I haven't had a lock freeze
on me.

I don't go round pouring water into my lock cylinders though.
:-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

neither do I, but the recent rains saoked my garage locks.

You need an awning over your garage-side door(s).

awnings are oh so 1960's

But standing out in the cold while your locks are frozen is a
timeless tradition!

duh, I use the overhead doors

Then you're not locked out. You hit the button and the door opens. FWIW
you can get house door locks that have remotes too.

actually the main prob is I went to a gable roof and the slope drains
over the service door...I haven't installed gutters yet.

Gutters or a simple Drip Cap would solve the problem.

you sell lock sets?