Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house
Eric Eric is offline

Default How to keep locks from getting frozen?

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , Eric
wrote:

kenji wrote in
:

In article , (Todd
H.) wrote:

kenji writes:

In article ,

(Todd H.) wrote:

Powdered graphite (sold in small tubes near the key
stuff and lock de-icer) should prevent recurrence.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

how does powdered graphite in a lock keep it from
freezing? if the polwder is
in the cylinder, then water get also gets into the
cylinder then it freezes wouldn't you just have a
frozen cylinder that doesn't turn?

Dunno, but I will say I use powdered graphite at the
first sign of lock stickiness in the cold, and I haven't
had a lock freeze on me.

I don't go round pouring water into my lock cylinders
though.
:-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

neither do I, but the recent rains saoked my garage locks.

You need an awning over your garage-side door(s).

awnings are oh so 1960's

But standing out in the cold while your locks are frozen is a
timeless tradition!

duh, I use the overhead doors

Then you're not locked out. You hit the button and the door opens.
FWIW you can get house door locks that have remotes too.

actually the main prob is I went to a gable roof and the slope
drains over the service door...I haven't installed gutters yet.

Gutters or a simple Drip Cap would solve the problem.

you sell lock sets?

Yes, but you can get the same ones at HD. Just go with Schlage, and
stay away from Kwikset (and no-name brands).

for the garage I want one of those that you push buttons to open the
deadbolt on the service door. I like the one here at work but it's
commercial grade and probably 400+dollars..seems the ones in HD and
Lowes Menards are about 100.

Here's what I have:

http://www.precisionentry.com/produc...px?feature=330

The keypad is in the $100 range, while the remote control deadbolt is
closer to $200.