Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house
Chicago Paddling-Fishing Chicago Paddling-Fishing is offline

Default How to keep locks from getting frozen?

In chi.general Ajanta wrote:
: For those of you out of Chicago, it is 12 degrees here tonight. How do
: I keep the locks on our outside back-gate and car-door street parking)
: from getting frozen?

: Anything work better than WD-40 (which is all I can think of trying)?

If your already locked out, WD-40 will unfreeze it, but it's going to freeze
again... so if you can avoid using it, your better off in the long run...

Get some lock deicer from your local auto parts store (I think walgreens and
CVS carry them too... never lube it with liquid, use graphite instead... if
there is a michaels near you, they also sell it (and i think most autoparts
stores have it)

Many times I've been at work and just had to warm up the key in my hand, and
put it in the lock and repeat until i got the cylinder warm enough to turn...
especially bad after something like last week where it goes from sleet to
snow and then cold...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page