Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Condo is not good. Can I move out?

Hello,

I purchased a condo about two months ago and my experience has not been
good. My golf clubs were stolen from my car in the parking lot, the
walls are paper thin, and planes fly overhead.

I thought I read somwhere that condo owners are protected for 90 days
from purchase in case of a breach or something and can actually back
out of the deal. Is this true or am I imagining things?

Do I have any options or am I stuck here? I could sell but it would be
at a loss.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

I purchased a condo about two months ago and my experience has not been
good. My golf clubs were stolen from my car in the parking lot, the
walls are paper thin, and planes fly overhead.

I thought I read somwhere that condo owners are protected for 90 days
from purchase in case of a breach or something and can actually back
out of the deal. Is this true or am I imagining things?

Do I have any options or am I stuck here? I could sell but it would be
at a loss.

Once you close, it is pretty much your baby. If this was a pre-
construction unit, you could back out up to the point of closing,
but that (a) has to be in the contract, and (b) you still lose
a lot of money when you forefit your deposit.

Whether it's pre-construction or not has no bearing on being able to
back out of a contract, unless there is some specific local law that
applies. In most cases, you can get out of the contract if you are
willing to forfeit the deposit.

BTW, having a 3rd party steal your golf clubs is not any kind
of breach of contract between you and the previous owner. The
problem would have to be something material, like the building
foundation was cracked or the roof was bad. But even then,
you should have had an inspection and walk-through to catch
that kind of thing.

-john-

Simply having something material wrong with a home is not a valid
reason for undoing a sale. In every location I'm aware of, you'd have
to prove not only that there was a significant problem, like a roof
that was shot and leaking, but also that the seller knew about it, did
not disclose it and that you as buyer did not know about it at the time
of sale. Even then, it's would be extremely rare for the actual deal
to be undone. The most you usually get is compensation to fix the
problem.

BTW, am I the only one that thinks the OP is a troll?

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"jerryl" wrote:

BTW, am I the only one that thinks the OP is a troll?

I agree with you. No one can be that stupid.

I find the problem to be very believable. You never have any
idea what you are getting into with multi-unit housing. A place
could look nice and have real problems, or look halfway like a
dump and be real nice.

- One very high end unit that I lived in had a problem with a
gang of 11 to 14 year old boys who like to vandalize cars in the
underground parking lot. One night, they tried to steal the radio
out of a jeep. Turned out it was owned by a marine recruiter that
lived in the building. He chased down 4 of the kids and put them
all in the hospital. That thankfully solved the problem, something
that the management, parents, and police were unable to do.

- One high-rise that I bought into had a women's shelter located
about 3 blocks away. The place was great, right up until about
1AM. At bar closing time, dozens of drunk men would show up and
start yelling at their wives (who were in the shelter) to come
out and go home with them. They would be out there yelling until
about 4AM or 4:30AM. That would ruin any chance of getting a good
night sleep.

I could go on and on with stories about places that I have bought
and sold, but two should be enough to get started.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"John A. Weeks III" writes:

I find the problem to be very believable. You never have any
idea what you are getting into with multi-unit housing. A place
could look nice and have real problems, or look halfway like a
dump and be real nice. [snip]

I am sure that problems with teenaged vandals and late-night noise are
not peculiar to multi-unit housing, but are problems in some
neighborhoods generally. If you aren't already familiar with the
neighborhood where you are considering buying a home, it pays to do
some research, talk to the neighbors, etc first. Frankly, I don't
have much sympathy for somebody who fails to take into account airport
or highway noise when buying a home, since that ought to be pretty
obvious just by looking at a map.

-Sandra the cynic