Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Neighbors growing marijuana

What would you do in this situation:

We do not know these particular neighbors at all, having only chatted
with them once or twice. They are an older couple, and tend to keep to
themselves a lot. They have a gorgeous vegetable garden covering most
of their back lawn, which abuts with our back lawn right where we have
a hammock (the only trees on the property where we can put the
hammock).

This weekend I noticed that the neighbors are growing a healthy-looking
crop of marjuana at the back of their property line, within 3 feet and
full view of our hammock. It's a good spot to grow it if you don't want
police seeing it from the road.

Now, I don't care at all what the neighbors want to grow, and I'm not
really all that uptight about marijuana use. Whatever an adult wants to
do in the privacy of their own home, and all that. My only concern is
that my DD's - ages 11 and 13 - also use this hammock frequently. The
13 year old is not an idiot and may have already identified the plants.
I remember what it was like being 13 years old. So I am concerned that
it is a little bit too easily available, should she decide she wants to
experiment.

Should I approach the neighbors about this? Should I keep my mouth
shut? If I approach them, what do I say? I don't want to **** them off,
but I really would be happier if they could find a different spot to be
growing it.

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

shinypenny wrote:
[...]

Instead of focusing on what the neighbors should/could do, it may be
more productive to focus on what you can do. Can you move the hammock?
Or put some screening between the hammock and the plants. Also, the
best prevention may just be talking to the 11 and 13 year olds about drugs.

Jeanne (I definitely couldn't ID marijuana at 13)
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Jeanne wrote:

Instead of focusing on what the neighbors should/could do, it may be
more productive to focus on what you can do. Can you move the hammock?
Or put some screening between the hammock and the plants. Also, the
best prevention may just be talking to the 11 and 13 year olds about drugs.

Jeanne (I definitely couldn't ID marijuana at 13)

Personally, I'd talk to the neighbors about it. Explain your concerns
and tell them you'd rather not go to the police, but that you will if
you have to. Suggest an alternative. I wouldn't worry about your neighbors
so much as the possible riff raff interested in the plants. I have a really
low tolerance for potheads.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jeanne wrote:
Instead of focusing on what the neighbors should/could do, it may be
more productive to focus on what you can do. Can you move the hammock?

No, as I mentioned, that's where the only trees for the hammock are.

Or put some screening between the hammock and the plants.

Such as? (not picturing it, for example, due to the trees and
configuration of the hammock and property line, there's no clearance
for a fence)

Also, the
best prevention may just be talking to the 11 and 13 year olds about drugs.

Jeanne (I definitely couldn't ID marijuana at 13)

I already talk to my kids quite a bit about drugs, which is why I
happen to know they know what marijuana looks like. It's pictured in
their anti-drug books from school. Heck, just do a google and you can
get a photo plus instructions on how to cure it and roll a joint.

jen

(definetly COULD ID marijuana at 13... )

Posted to misc.consumers.house

D. Gerasimatos wrote:

Personally, I'd talk to the neighbors about it. Explain your concerns
and tell them you'd rather not go to the police, but that you will if
you have to. Suggest an alternative. I wouldn't worry about your neighbors
so much as the possible riff raff interested in the plants. I have a really
low tolerance for potheads.

It's hard to explain the configuration of our yards, but it's highly
unlikely any riff-raff would ever stumble upon it. (Not including my
own children and their friends, who can see it plain as day if they are
in the hammock). There are no paths, etc and it would just simply be
unlikely. It's really rather well hidden and unnoticeable, unless you
happen to be lying in the hammock, then you can literally reach out and
touch it if you swing the hammock.

I'm not even sure where the property line is; for all I know, some of
it may be growing on our side of the line. Cops somehow finding it
someday is somewhat of a concern - the neighbors could point the finger
at us, I suppose, if they wanted to be onery.

If I brought in a property surveyor would they report me or my
neighbor?

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
shinypenny wrote:

It's hard to explain the configuration of our yards, but it's highly
unlikely any riff-raff would ever stumble upon it.

The riff raff may be 'associates' of your neighbors.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house

D. Gerasimatos wrote:

The riff raff may be 'associates' of your neighbors.

Nah, this is a baby-boomer hippie couple, probably late 50s or perhaps
older, as I believe one is retired because I see him during the weekday
working in the garden a lot. I never see them have any company over, no
shady types hanging around, no odd traffic. They aren't drug dealers,
just introverts. And (not that I'm an expert) I gauge that it is
probably only enough pot for a personal stash for two people... it's
just a plot of plants about 2 feet by 2 feet. Not growing wild either;
it was obviously deliberately planted in rows, and it's well tended
because the plot is very lush looking.

I guess I could warn them if they don't find a better place to plant
it, I can't guarantee my kids' friends won't harvest it all before they
do. :-)

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article .com,
shinypenny wrote:

Nah, this is a baby-boomer hippie couple, probably late 50s or perhaps
older, as I believe one is retired because I see him during the weekday
working in the garden a lot. I never see them have any company over, no
shady types hanging around, no odd traffic. They aren't drug dealers,
just introverts. And (not that I'm an expert) I gauge that it is
probably only enough pot for a personal stash for two people... it's
just a plot of plants about 2 feet by 2 feet. Not growing wild either;
it was obviously deliberately planted in rows, and it's well tended
because the plot is very lush looking.

The plants came from somewhere and I doubt it was Smith and Hawken or
Wal-Mart. There is a connection somewhere.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"shinypenny" wrote in message
ups.com...

D. Gerasimatos wrote:

[...]

if you know it's there and don't report it, you're an accessory and may
be charged as such should the police find it and can tell that you could
see it. it may not even matter if you told them you had no idea what
pot looked like.

the fingerpointing could be a problem if it's on their back 40 and out
of view of their house or on your property. they know you can see
it. it's deliberate. and if you turn them in, they may have some
friends pay you a visit. you never know.

i'd be really, really ****ed off about it (the game, not the pot). maybe
try
to figure out a way to set them up. work w/the police on a fake chase
involving your child that just so happens to go by the plants? that way
they have reason to be back there.

If I brought in a property surveyor would they report me or my
neighbor?

possibly. might want to find your plat at the property tax office.
asap.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

D. Gerasimatos wrote:

The plants came from somewhere and I doubt it was Smith and Hawken or
Wal-Mart. There is a connection somewhere.

Actually, you can apparently buy the seeds over the internet to start
your own crop. I know because to make absolutely sure it was, indeed,
marijuana, I googled some images and came up with a site.

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

they know you can see
it. it's deliberate.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. And they know my DD's hang out in
the hammock. We all use it regularly in the summer months. DH and I
hang out there on Sunday afternoons snoozing and reading.

and if you turn them in, they may have some
friends pay you a visit. you never know.

I don't want to turn anyone in.

i'd be really, really ****ed off about it (the game, not the pot). maybe
try
to figure out a way to set them up. work w/the police on a fake chase
involving your child that just so happens to go by the plants? that way
they have reason to be back there.

Maybe I should just pick it all in the middle of the night, and throw
it out in the trash. Then if they complain to us, we can just raise an
eyebrow at them. Think that would work?

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
shinypenny wrote:

[...]

And, when you caught in their garden in the middle of the night, you're
charged with possession, and possibly cultivation or possession with
intent to traffic depending on the amount.

Tell them to lose the plants within x number of hours or you will have
no choice but to call law enforcement, as you're concerned about your
children.

They're being extremely irresponsible, and need to be called on it. If
you know about it, and say nothing, you may be charged as well.

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Whatever your views and opinions are about marijuana, it is illegal. It is
very rude that someone would grow it where others can see it being grown,
especially minors. For these reasons alone you should ask them to bring it
indoors. If they say no, just go in and very selectively spray some
roundup, they'll get the hint.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article .com,
shinypenny wrote:

D. Gerasimatos wrote:

The plants came from somewhere and I doubt it was Smith and Hawken or
Wal-Mart. There is a connection somewhere.

Actually, you can apparently buy the seeds over the internet to start
your own crop. I know because to make absolutely sure it was, indeed,
marijuana, I googled some images and came up with a site.

Only if you want to buy from the FBI, no doubt.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house

shinypenny wrote:
[...]

It is a crime to not report a crime you know is in progress.
Growing dope has no redemptive value to society. It is a precursor to
many other and more serious crimes.
Report the sobs. It doesn't matter one whit about how nice their
personality might be or how old they are.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

[...]

dh said he'd just pull them all up. that'll learn 'em

you really do need to get rid of the stuff.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:050720061947099858%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article . com,
shinypenny wrote:

[...]

but make sure they're not on your property first.

They're being extremely irresponsible, and need to be called on it. If
you know about it, and say nothing, you may be charged as well.

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

[...]

Just a small squirt of Round-up would be better. The plant would slowly
wither away.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Alan Sung says...

Just a small squirt of Round-up would be better. The plant would slowly
wither away.

Would it endanger them if they use it then (before it wilts)?

I'd highly recommend talking to them rather than sneaking around spraying or
pulling up plants.

For the usual reasons of decent behavior with neighbors. And even more so here,
because she has the advantage of asking them to stop doing something illegal.

Personally, I hate this sort of thing, because implicitly I as a neighbor am
supposed to look away and be quiet. It's not kind to me.

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com, Caledonia
says...

I'm perplexed -- what's the crime in progress? (A small bit of googling
indicated that there are MA bills recently in committee for
decriminalizing possession of a small amount of pot, and making
offenders subject to a civil citation, not criminal citation).

"Recently in committee" not.equal "law". Far from it. Far far from it. Some
folks wanting a change does not a democratic decision make.

If I were shinypenny, I'd approach them about it, indicate that I don't
want to **** them off, but would be happier if they could find a
different spot. (Just like she said above...), and hope there's no hard
feelings.

I'd say something like "I have to ask you that I not see illegal activities,
and, no, I can't reasonably be expected to look away from your yard everytime
I'm in my yard, that impinges upon the normal use of my property" and leave it
up to them exactly what that means. Repeat statement as necessary. No
discussion regarding law, ethics, democratic action, brain chemistry, what other
people do, or social philosophy needed or even desirable. Just that she doesn't
want to implicitly consent to an illegal activity and have her children see it.
Period. They can move their gardening enterprise to the other side of their
house; they can do their growing in the basement under sunlamps (I'd wager
they're quite experienced at that!); they can just quit this activity, but
that's not for her to specify.

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

if you know it's there and don't report it, you're an accessory and may
be charged as such should the police find it and can tell that you could
see it. it may not even matter if you told them you had no idea what
pot looked like.

This is total BS. No one can be charged with being an accessory to a
crime solely because they saw it and didn't report it. This is the
USA, not North Korea.

the fingerpointing could be a problem if it's on their back 40 and out
of view of their house or on your property. they know you can see
it. it's deliberate. and if you turn them in, they may have some
friends pay you a visit. you never know.

They deliberately planted it so the neighbors can see it and turn them
in? That makes sense to you?

i'd be really, really ****ed off about it (the game, not the pot). maybe
try
to figure out a way to set them up. work w/the police on a fake chase
involving your child that just so happens to go by the plants? that way
they have reason to be back there.

More nonsense. The plants are visible from her yard. Why would she
need to involve a child or create a fake chase? If she wants to turn
them in, all she has to do is call the police over to her yard and show
it to them.

If I brought in a property surveyor would they report me or my
neighbor?

possibly. might want to find your plat at the property tax office.
asap.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

john wrote:
It is a crime to not report a crime you know is in progress.

BS. I'd like to see a reference for this claim. In all my life, I've
never seen anyone either charged or convicted for not reporting a
crime. And we know it happens all the time

Posted to misc.consumers.house

For the OP, a good course of action might be to send an anonymous
letter to the neighbor. Something along the lines of "Hi, I'm a
concerned neighbor. My children were walking in the area and noticed
there is what appears to be marijuana growing on your property, which
you may be unaware of...

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Banty wrote:
In article . com, Caledonia
says...

I'm perplexed -- what's the crime in progress? (A small bit of googling
indicated that there are MA bills recently in committee for
decriminalizing possession of a small amount of pot, and making
offenders subject to a civil citation, not criminal citation).

"Recently in committee" not.equal "law". Far from it. Far far from it. Some
folks wanting a change does not a democratic decision make.

True. I was recently made aware by a friend that VT has passed the
medical marijuana law (as had Maine), and was just thinking that maybe,
just maybe, MA would follow-on.

[...]

I'd skip the 'not see illegal activities' as it seems too
confrontational for no good reason. IMO, it ups the ante, and sure,
they may just be old stoners looking for dope, or they may be dealing
with Mr. End-Stage-Bad-Disease. If it's the former, the neighbors are
getting the police on speed-dial for the first time someone under the
age of 21 appears to have consumed alcohol on Shiny's property, or the
first time an illegal alien comes by to shovel snow; if it's the
latter, well, I'd just feel pretty darn bad.

Caledonia

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Una Una is offline

shinypenny wrote:
This weekend I noticed that the neighbors are growing a healthy-looking
crop of marjuana at the back of their property line, within 3 feet and
full view of our hammock. It's a good spot to grow it if you don't want
police seeing it from the road.

From your posts so far I am not convinced (a) it is marijuana
and (b) the elderly property owners know that it is marijuana.

The plants are shaded by the tree(s) where you hang your hammock?
Are the plants being actively cultivated (ie, in a garden bed,
watered and weeded)? Or just not getting cut by the lawnmower?
How tall are the plants now? Are they supported on stakes etc.?
Have they flowered yet?

What else could it be, eh? Hemp. Or hops. See a comparative
illustration (http://delta-intkey.com/angio/images/canna675.gif)
and short description of the (very small) family that includes
marijuana (http://delta-intkey.com/angio/www/cannabid.htm). To
get an expert ID, take a small sample to a local herbarium or
botanical garden and ask them to ID it for you. Plant ID is a
free public service provided by most herbaria and botanical
gardens. Just don't expect a quick reply.

Una
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Caledonia wrote:
I'd skip the 'not see illegal activities' as it seems too
confrontational for no good reason. IMO, it ups the ante, and sure,
they may just be old stoners looking for dope, or they may be dealing
with Mr. End-Stage-Bad-Disease. If it's the former, the neighbors are
getting the police on speed-dial for the first time someone under the
age of 21 appears to have consumed alcohol on Shiny's property, or the
first time an illegal alien comes by to shovel snow; if it's the
latter, well, I'd just feel pretty darn bad.

Yeah, I agree. I have to live next to them. That's why this is tough.

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Una wrote:

From your posts so far I am not convinced (a) it is marijuana
and (b) the elderly property owners know that it is marijuana.

Oh good, if you can convince me it's NOT marijuana then I can relax...

The plants are shaded by the tree(s) where you hang your hammock?

Sort of. It's not completely in the shade; they aren't directly under
the trees. The area they are in gets a fair amount of light during the
day, in the afternoon but not in the morning.

Are the plants being actively cultivated (ie, in a garden bed,
watered and weeded)?

Yes. It is definetly being tended, and is a part of their garden, not
wild. (They have an awesome garden, btw... the envy of the
neighborhood).

Or just not getting cut by the lawnmower?

Nope. It's planted in nice neat rows, but close together. And I often
see the neighbor poking around in the garden that far back.

How tall are the plants now?

As a guesstimate, about as tall as my elbow to the tip of my fingers,
maybe a bit higher than that.

You're thinking just like me: I was trying to figure out how fast it
would be growing too, at this point in the season, if it was really
marijuana. If you know, that would be great. I can also tell you we've
had a bit of a late season here due to lack of sunshine; things that
normally would be farther along are just a bit behind compared to last
year.

Oops.. update.. I just went out again and took another look, and
they've grown since this weekend!! Either my memory is all fuzzy, or
they really did grow several inches since Sunday?? I didn't take a
ruler, but some of them may even be 2 feet tall now.

Are they supported on stakes etc.?

No.

Have they flowered yet?

No. When would that happen?

What else could it be, eh? Hemp. Or hops. See a comparative
illustration (http://delta-intkey.com/angio/images/canna675.gif)

It's definetly not hops - leaves are bigger and lusher. Not sure about
the Hemp. What is that thing there, a flower or something? It doesn't
have that.

http://www.newimageplants.com/produc...products_id=29

and short description of the (very small) family that includes
marijuana (http://delta-intkey.com/angio/www/cannabid.htm).

Couldn't understand a word of it. :-(

get an expert ID, take a small sample to a local herbarium or
botanical garden and ask them to ID it for you. Plant ID is a
free public service provided by most herbaria and botanical
gardens. Just don't expect a quick reply.

Thanks Una. It probably would be a good idea to confirm that's what it
really is, before making any stink about it.

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:
And I'd
sure prefer that over you calling the cops.

Don't worry, the last thing I'd do is call the cops.

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"shinypenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Una wrote:

snip

What else could it be, eh? Hemp. Or hops. See a comparative
illustration (http://delta-intkey.com/angio/images/canna675.gif)

It's definetly not hops - leaves are bigger and lusher. Not sure about
the Hemp. What is that thing there, a flower or something? It doesn't
have that.

http://www.newimageplants.com/produc...products_id=29

and short description of the (very small) family that includes
marijuana (http://delta-intkey.com/angio/www/cannabid.htm).

i don't think ANY type of cannibis is legal in this country; not even the
type with no thc. and i think hemp is in it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
GWB GWB is offline

Post their address here.
Somebody'll come by and get rid of it for ya.
Real quick! G

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Una wrote:

Or hops.

ROFLMAO!

There is NO way to confuse pot with hops.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article dMhrg.16259$5i3.10846@trnddc01, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" wrote:

i don't think ANY type of cannibis is legal in this country; not even the
type with no thc. and i think hemp is in it.

You may be right... but after the nonsense you posted about becoming an
accessory by failing to report it, I doubt anyone here is too inclined to take
your legal opinions very seriously....

--
Regards,

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"shinypenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Una wrote:
From your posts so far I am not convinced (a) it is marijuana
[...]

Perhaps take a digital picture and post a link to it here so we all can see
it, or post it in a binary newsgroup and tell us where it is and what it is
named. I bet we identify it pretty readily that way.

Taking a picture may present a risk if they see you do it....
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Haven't read all of the responses, but in case it hasn't been
suggested by now (improbable) sounds like time for a nice 6' redwood
fence!

My guess is trying to talk to the neighbors is a bad plan. They
obviously know you have kids, and they obviously don't give a damn.
Why waste your breath and risk ongoing tension for who knows how many
years to come? Build a fence!

CF
Posted to misc.consumers.house

shinypenny said:

Thanks Una. It probably would be a good idea to confirm that's what it
really is, before making any stink about it.

Here's a suggestion for a garden plant that is sometimes mistaken
for pot, before it flowers--Cleome. (I've seen people do double takes.)
Popularly used for the back of a garden as it gets quite tall.

http://www.redbudfarms.com/cleome.htm
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:
shinypenny said:

Thanks Una. It probably would be a good idea to confirm that's what it
really is, before making any stink about it.

Here's a suggestion for a garden plant that is sometimes mistaken
for pot, before it flowers--Cleome. (I've seen people do double takes.)
Popularly used for the back of a garden as it gets quite tall.

http://www.redbudfarms.com/cleome.htm

You've gotta be kidding. Nobody who knows what marijuana looks like would
mistake a cleome for a pot plant, even when it's not blooming.

--
Regards,

Trees and Neighbors RichK Home Repair 7 April 29th 06 03:54 AM
Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Neighbor's Wood-Burning [email protected] Home Repair 24 December 23rd 04 12:44 AM
Neighbor's Wood-Burning [email protected] Woodworking 34 December 17th 04 04:56 PM
On the topic of neighbors Christopher Home Repair 14 April 4th 04 03:40 AM