Default Neighbor's Wood-Burning

I have a friendly helpful next-door neighbor here in the woods (PA)
where the zoning ordinance does NOT prohibit open burning. This is a
lifelong neighbor (30+) who grew up along with us and with whom we have
up until now been on very good terms. (The good terms do not extend to
neighbor's wife.)

For the past month, our home has REEKED of whatever it is that he has
been burning. We live on a dead-end road, but I don't want to give the
impression this is, like, Deliverance-style territory. It's just a
70's-era development in the Poconos. We're not concerned that he's
burning something necessarily illegal as we are that our home is
becoming uninhabitable because of the smoke.

I phoned two Saturdays ago. Neighbor's gnarly wife answered, claimed
"We've burned twice a week for ten years!" (patently untrue), and that
"*I* don't smell a thing." The response, while not out of character
for this woman, was a bit more unfriendly than we're used to, even for
her.

The smoke got even worse, so we actually phoned neighbor's mom, who
lives in a house out of line of the drifting smoke. Result was that
smoke stopped, and next day, neighbor drives over to apologize and give
me a hug. I thought the problem was solved.

Two days later, the burning started again. Because neighbor is
extremely well-employed, I could see it wasn't a matter of his burning
on yet another Monday mid-morning, and I started to wonder if he
installed some sort of wood-burning device inside his home whose vent
is aimed directly our way.

What if anything can we do to settle this nightmare? This would be
like something from Seinfeld if it wasn't causing such pain. If we
contact him again (and we'll have to do it when we're sure we won't
instead get wife-from-Hades), we'll 1) "take back" the friendly
reception of our complaint to his Mom, or 2) show that we don't believe
his explanation of "just extra wood left over from chopped trees." He
would have had to cut down half his lot in order for the burning to be
going on this long.

Any advice--mechanical, structural, legal, seasonal (!)--desperately
needed and appreciated.

Dave Balderstone

In article . com,
wrote:

Any advice--mechanical, structural, legal, seasonal (!)--desperately
needed and appreciated.

Drive-by shooting?

Or, call a lawyer/county/town hall/zoning officer. We're wood-dorkers,
here.
Rumpty

In most areas of the Poconos burn barrels are legal to use but most
townships restrict to Saturday burning only. As we say to the complaining
New Yorkers who move here, "Welcome to Pennsylvania and this is they way we
have always done it."

My only concern would be if he was burning pressure treated wood. He might
have been burning leaves.....

--

Rumpty

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Eddie Munster

Is there any health angle you can pursue? Medical, asthma, stubbed toe?
Perhaps a lawsuit on the basis of reduced health? I don't think he is
insured for that. Health angle, property value angle will go nowhere.

Best find out what he is burning. Painted wood. Construction waste is
usually not allowd.

Will you keep us posted?

wrote:

[...]

Olebiker

As we say to the complaining New Yorkers who move here, "Welcome to
Pennsylvania and this is they way we have always done it."

Do like we do here in Florida. Tell them, "We don't care how you do it
in Florida. Interstate 95 goes north, too." Then we take their Yankee
money.

Dick Durbin

LRod

On 15 Dec 2004 08:27:10 -0800, "Olebiker" wrote:

As we say to the complaining New Yorkers who move here, "Welcome to

Pennsylvania and this is they way we have always done it."

Do like we do here in Florida. Tell them, "We don't care how you do it
in Florida. Interstate 95 goes north, too." Then we take their Yankee
money.

Welcome to Florida. Now, go home!

My motto.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Buck Turgidson

You're entitled to the "quiet enjoyment" of your property. Make some
discreet inquiries to an attorney.

Find a nice loud leaf blower. Fire it up and aim it at their house whenever
they are burning.

Wear ear protection.

Another alternative is to buy a santa suit, stuff it full of fiberglass
insulation and when not a creature is stirring on xmas eve bring out a
ladder and a broomstick and stuff it down the chimney. They will get the
message next time they light up.

-j

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Bill Stock

"J" wrote in message
Find a nice loud leaf blower. Fire it up and aim it at their house

whenever
they are burning.

Wear ear protection.

Another alternative is to buy a santa suit, stuff it full of fiberglass
insulation and when not a creature is stirring on xmas eve bring out a
ladder and a broomstick and stuff it down the chimney. They will get the
message next time they light up.

-j

When out on the roof there arose such a clatter,
The neighbour sprang from his bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window he flew like a flash,
tore open the shutter, and shot Santa in the Ash.

Phisherman

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:34:22 +0000, LRod
wrote:

On 15 Dec 2004 08:27:10 -0800, "Olebiker" wrote:

As we say to the complaining New Yorkers who move here, "Welcome to

Pennsylvania and this is they way we have always done it."

Do like we do here in Florida. Tell them, "We don't care how you do it
in Florida. Interstate 95 goes north, too." Then we take their Yankee
money.

Welcome to Florida. Now, go home!

My motto.

Last time I went to Florida was a December to get away from the cold.
When I got there, there was an ice storm. All the interstates were
closed, hotels were all filled up, and I slept in my (cold) car.
Haven't gone back and that was 15 years ago.

Rumpty

Do like we do here in Florida. Tell them, "We don't care how you do it
in Florida. Interstate 95 goes north, too."

Ya we do the same, if they don't shut up we tell em to take I-80 East...

--

Rumpty

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
As we say to the complaining New Yorkers who move here, "Welcome to

Pennsylvania and this is they way we have always done it."

Do like we do here in Florida. Tell them, "We don't care how you do it
in Florida. Interstate 95 goes north, too." Then we take their Yankee
money.

Dick Durbin

jo4hn

Bill Stock wrote:
"J" wrote in message

Find a nice loud leaf blower. Fire it up and aim it at their house

whenever

they are burning.

Wear ear protection.

Another alternative is to buy a santa suit, stuff it full of fiberglass
insulation and when not a creature is stirring on xmas eve bring out a
ladder and a broomstick and stuff it down the chimney. They will get the
message next time they light up.

-j

When out on the roof there arose such a clatter,
The neighbour sprang from his bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window he flew like a flash,
tore open the shutter, and shot Santa in the Ash.

Yer gonna get a lump of coal. Neener neener neener.
Scott Altman

Caution everyone.....do not move to Kansas.
We burn the prairies every Spring for brush control & to maintain the
quality of grass.
Folks from the cities move out to the "beautiful"
spaces complain about all the burning, get a lawyer like city folk
do.......then next Spring they & their lawyers get burned out by
backfires.
They usually move back east using I-70 and tell stories of how terrible
the people are "out here".
The worst pollution to health out here are the lawyers from back East.
Just my thoughts under the 1 & 2nd amendmet.

RKP51X

Caution everyone.....do not move to Kansas.
We burn the prairies every Spring for brush control & to maintain the
quality of grass.

In Louisiana, we burn the leaves off the sugar cane before the cane is
harvested. Sometimes it looks like black snow when the wind is just right. I'm
not sure what happens next. Is all this smoke in the air going to create
"nuclear winter" and we need to burn more to stay warm or "global warming" and
we need to save the trees for the shade.
Roger Poplin dba

Richard Cline

I was always told to call the fire department when I smelled smoke.

Dick
George

Amazing you can still do that. They're not burning the paddies out in
NorCal like they used to. I can remember days when you couldn't shoot
approaches at Beale because of the smoke.

You burn your rice straw?

"RKP51X" wrote in message
Caution everyone.....do not move to Kansas.
We burn the prairies every Spring for brush control & to maintain the
quality of grass.

In Louisiana, we burn the leaves off the sugar cane before the cane is
harvested. Sometimes it looks like black snow when the wind is just right.

I'm
not sure what happens next. Is all this smoke in the air going to create
"nuclear winter" and we need to burn more to stay warm or "global warming"

and
we need to save the trees for the shade.
Roger Poplin dba

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:46:21 -0600, Scott Altman wrote:
Caution everyone.....do not move to Kansas.
We burn the prairies every Spring for brush control & to maintain the
quality of grass.

Yup.

Folks from the cities move out to the "beautiful"
spaces complain about all the burning, get a lawyer like city folk
do.......then next Spring they & their lawyers get burned out by
backfires.

Or they complain about the manure smells, yes. Worse, though, are the
people who move out, see the real locals burning off their fields, and
then decide to do it themselves. They seem to miss the little minor points
about picking a day without high winds and when everything is bone-dry.
One guy burned up his field, his neighbor's yard, and his neighbor's
shed with a classic Harley (fully tricked out and restored) in it.
Didn't do much for neighborly relations, I would imagine.

One guy, the cheif told him he was going to take his matches away, after
having a "controlled burn" get away from the third year in a row.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:43:38 -0800, Richard Cline wrote:

I was always told to call the fire department when I smelled smoke.

Please don't waste your fire department's time for a bad-neighbor situation.
Most of the time, they're at home with their families, and don't have
time or interest in getting involved in some neighborly spat.

Phisherman wrote:

Last time I went to Florida was a December to get away from the cold.
When I got there, there was an ice storm. All the interstates were
closed, hotels were all filled up, and I slept in my (cold) car.
Haven't gone back and that was 15 years ago.

Two brothers I know _drove_ from Fairbanks, Alaska to spend Christmas
with their parents in Jacksonville, Florida. On the day they arrived
in Jacksonville the temperature was 12 F. The high that same day in
Fairbanks was 20 F.

--

FF

Richard Clements

there is a family of farmers out in the Moody area that two years in a row
burned down there hey shed, on Christmass day, on there third year the fire
department showed up just in case

Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

LRod

On 16 Dec 2004 08:35:16 -0800, wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

Last time I went to Florida was a December to get away from the cold.
When I got there, there was an ice storm. All the interstates were
closed, hotels were all filled up, and I slept in my (cold) car.
Haven't gone back and that was 15 years ago.

Two brothers I know _drove_ from Fairbanks, Alaska to spend Christmas
with their parents in Jacksonville, Florida. On the day they arrived
in Jacksonville the temperature was 12 F. The high that same day in
Fairbanks was 20 F.

12° in Jacksonville is very unusual. I lived there for five years
(only a decade after Charlie) and don't remember it ever getting that
cold. However, even after ten years in Jamestown, NY, and 26 years in
Chicago, I still maintain the coldest I ever felt was one night in
Jacksonville when it was 18°. I was sitting in my car, a convertible
(yes, the top was UP, dammit), waiting for someone, and I couldn't get
warm, even with the heat going. I can still remember it, and it's been
35 years.

I think appropriate garments, time of day, and associated weather
phenomenon have everything to do with it. I took a 50' tower down one
day in Chicago when it was 10°. Down vest, bright sunshine, no wind
made it quite comfortable...until I had to put bare hands on steel.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

LRod

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:08:10 GMT, max wrote:

Are you talking about Beale Street in SF? Probably standing between Bechtel
and PG&E?
max

Amazing you can still do that. They're not burning the paddies out in
NorCal like they used to. I can remember days when you couldn't shoot
approaches at Beale because of the smoke.

Naw, he's talking about making approaches to Beale Air Force Base,
home of the SR71.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Scott Altman

Old steel worker ? walked the steel for 26 years......nothing colder in
winter, nothing hotter in summer and nothing as unforgiving if one makes
a mistake.
Wood is much more fun !

Jeffrey Thunder

In article ,
LRod writes:
phenomenon have everything to do with it. I took a 50' tower down one
day in Chicago when it was 10°. Down vest, bright sunshine, no wind

^^ ^^^^
Okay, LRod. Now we know you're lying.

OBWW: Last winter I helped a friend make some bookcases. I have a
heater in the garage/shop, but at one point we needed to open the
door in order to rip down some of the plywood. After the few short
minutes to do that, I couldn't feel my fingers any more.

--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences