Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba TV

Howdy!

A relative bought a newer TV with a larger screen and I got the
older TV, a Toshiba 24V421OU .

My older TV had to have a external Digital TV Convertor box to
be able to watch the Digital TV Channels, the newer TV set I just
got didn't need the Convertor Box.

The other day i came home and had to set the time on some Clocks
because the A.C. Power had failed while I was gone.

After I turned on the TV, I learned that I couldn't see any of the
Sub-Channels on one of the TV Channels.

I went through the Set Up procedure and had it scan the TV Channels
but the set still didn't let me see the Stations that I had been
able to watch before the Power failed that time.

A couple of other times when the Power failed I could get the
missing Channel (Sub-Channels) back, but this time whatever I tried
didn't work.

I have the .PDF file of the Users Manual and tried to find help on
he Toshiba internet pages but didn't see anything there, so I called
the Telephone Number in the Users Manual, 1-800-631-3811 , but it
didn't get answered by Toshiba, I think somebody else is using that
Number now.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can do to get the TV set up
so I can see the TV Stations I used to watch?

Thanks, 73 de Ed W9ODR . .

.... Have you checked your smoke detector batteries & Fire Ext, LATELY?!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 8:15:17 PM UTC-7, Ed Vance wrote:
Howdy!

A relative bought a newer TV with a larger screen and I got the
older TV, a Toshiba 24V421OU .

My older TV had to have a external Digital TV Convertor box to
be able to watch the Digital TV Channels, the newer TV set I just
got didn't need the Convertor Box.

The other day i came home and had to set the time on some Clocks
because the A.C. Power had failed while I was gone.

After I turned on the TV, I learned that I couldn't see any of the
Sub-Channels on one of the TV Channels.

I went through the Set Up procedure and had it scan the TV Channels
but the set still didn't let me see the Stations that I had been
able to watch before the Power failed that time.

Two odd possibilities, are that the station might have gone off-the-air during your scan,
or that the TV has a restricted tuning range because its varactor bias supply has
been misadjusted.

More likely, your antenna isn't picking up all the stations, and could use adjusting.
If you still have a converter box, some of those have signal strength indicators (and you
can see if the converter scans and finds the same stations, or a different subset.
If a converter picks up more stations than the TV on the same antenna... then the
TV might need an antenna booster amplifier.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

04-25-21 22:47 whit3rd wrote to Ed Vance about Toshiba TV
Howdy! Whit3rd,

wh @MSGID:
wh On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 8:15:17 PM UTC-7, Ed Vance wrote:
Howdy!

A relative bought a newer TV with a larger screen and I got the
older TV, a Toshiba 24V421OU .

My older TV had to have a external Digital TV Convertor box to
be able to watch the Digital TV Channels, the newer TV set I just
got didn't need the Convertor Box.

The other day i came home and had to set the time on some Clocks
because the A.C. Power had failed while I was gone.

After I turned on the TV, I learned that I couldn't see any of the
Sub-Channels on one of the TV Channels.

I went through the Set Up procedure and had it scan the TV Channels
but the set still didn't let me see the Stations that I had been
able to watch before the Power failed that time.

wh Two odd possibilities, are that the station might have gone off-the-air
wh during your scan, or that the TV has a restricted tuning range because
wh its varactor bias supply has been misadjusted.

Thanks for the Reply.

The Toshiba TV is in the front room, I got it in the Fall of 2019 and
connected it to the outside TV Antenna and plugged it in.
I've never done any adjusting to it outside of using its Menu some.

I use a Antenna Rotor on the outside Antenna.

The RG6/U Coax is plugged in to a Radio Shack TV Amplifier which has
4 output jacks.

The Toshiba TV is connected to one of the outputs.

Another output goes to the old Digital TV Convertor box to a VCR/DVR
that doesn't have a TV tuner in it.

The other Two Jacks have Dummy Load Resistors plugged in them.

When I want to set the VCR to record a show, I will put the newer TV
on Channel 4 to do that and when I'm done I can change the TV to some
other channel if I wanted to watch some other show.

When the power had failed here the One or Two times before, I don't
remember having to do anything special to get any Stations back on to
the TV Set.

I have a old tubed MGA TV w/Digital Convertor in another room and can
see those two Sub-Channels on it ghat are missing on the Toshiba, I use
a Rabbit Ear and Bow-Tie antenna on that TV.

wh More likely, your antenna isn't picking up all the stations, and could
wh use adjusting. If you still have a converter box, some of those have
wh signal strength indicators (and you can see if the converter scans and
wh finds the same stations, or a different subset. If a converter picks up
wh more stations than the TV on the same antenna... then the TV might need
wh an antenna booster amplifier.

I have the Yagi pointed towards that Stations transmitter site.

The Toshiba TV's Menu has a setting for a Signal Meter but the Channel
I can't see doesn't come up even when I've tried to ADD it on the menu.

Lots of Head Scratching here, but I'm not Bald (yet). G R I N

73 (Best Regards) de Ed W9ODR dit dit

.... A diamond is just coal that has been under a lot of pressure!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 12:15:10 PM UTC-7, Ed Vance wrote:
04-25-21 22:47 whit3rd wrote to Ed Vance about Toshiba TV

I have a old tubed MGA TV w/Digital Convertor in another room and can
see those two Sub-Channels on it ghat are missing on the Toshiba, I use
a Rabbit Ear and Bow-Tie antenna on that TV.

wh More likely, your antenna isn't picking up all the stations, and could
wh use adjusting. If you still have a converter box, some of those have
wh signal strength indicators (and you can see if the converter scans and
wh finds the same stations, or a different subset. If a converter picks up
wh more stations than the TV on the same antenna... then the TV might need
wh an antenna booster amplifier.

I have the Yagi pointed towards that Stations transmitter site.

The Toshiba TV's Menu has a setting for a Signal Meter but the Channel
I can't see doesn't come up even when I've tried to ADD it on the menu.

Well, if there's an amplifier already in the loop... could it be that there's too
much amplification, that an input stage is saturating (and losing gain)?
If you have an attenuator (or even just some splitters, with terminated extra
outputs) that can be patched in, that might be worth a trial. Between the antenna and input
amplifier, ideally.

If the missing channels are at extremes (high end?) of the frequency range,
it might still be the varactor bias supply (sometimes 30VDC) has shifted. That would affect tuning
range.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/2021 9:41 PM, Ed Vance wrote:
[...]

Try again after making sure the antenna is pointed toward the offending
transmitter.