Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Toshiba TV

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 8:15:17 PM UTC-7, Ed Vance wrote:
Howdy!

A relative bought a newer TV with a larger screen and I got the
older TV, a Toshiba 24V421OU .

My older TV had to have a external Digital TV Convertor box to
be able to watch the Digital TV Channels, the newer TV set I just
got didn't need the Convertor Box.

The other day i came home and had to set the time on some Clocks
because the A.C. Power had failed while I was gone.

After I turned on the TV, I learned that I couldn't see any of the
Sub-Channels on one of the TV Channels.

I went through the Set Up procedure and had it scan the TV Channels
but the set still didn't let me see the Stations that I had been
able to watch before the Power failed that time.

Two odd possibilities, are that the station might have gone off-the-air during your scan,
or that the TV has a restricted tuning range because its varactor bias supply has
been misadjusted.

More likely, your antenna isn't picking up all the stations, and could use adjusting.
If you still have a converter box, some of those have signal strength indicators (and you
can see if the converter scans and finds the same stations, or a different subset.
If a converter picks up more stations than the TV on the same antenna... then the
TV might need an antenna booster amplifier.