mike

Default Need HD connector pinout for Toshiba T4900CT

Need HD connector pinout for Toshiba T4900CT

I can't find a HD cable for my T4900CT.
I did junk a 4600 that has the same connectors.
Error 22, so probablly different pinout.
I could rewire the connectors if I could find
the pinout for PJ305 , the Hard Disk connector on the
motherboard of the T4900CT.

Help??

Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard

Paul Rubin

mike writes:
Need HD connector pinout for Toshiba T4900CT

I can't find a HD cable for my T4900CT.
I did junk a 4600 that has the same connectors.
Error 22, so probablly different pinout.

Pinout is normal, you may be trying to use too large-capacity a drive.
The maximum is 500 meg, if I remember right.
mike

Paul Rubin wrote:
mike writes:

Need HD connector pinout for Toshiba T4900CT

I can't find a HD cable for my T4900CT.
I did junk a 4600 that has the same connectors.
Error 22, so probablly different pinout.

Pinout is normal, you may be trying to use too large-capacity a drive.
The maximum is 500 meg, if I remember right.

Please explain "normal" It's a tiny 50-pin surface mount connector.
Looks kinda like the inside guts of centronics connector that's
been shrunk a lot.
There's a mouse connector, beeper and some leds hooked into the same
cable as the HD on the 4600. Not surprised it doesn't work.

Disk capacity is irrelevant, cause it ain't plugged in.

Restoring the critical part that you snipped from my original post:

I could rewire the connectors if I could find
the pinout for PJ305 , the Hard Disk connector on the
motherboard of the T4900CT.

Again, Need the connector pinout for the motherboard connector.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Paul Rubin

mike writes:
Again, Need the connector pinout for the motherboard connector.

Oh whoops, I thought you meant the drive connector.

I had a T4600 and there was a hardware manual for it that had stuff
like that. It's probably gone from Toshiba's ftp site by now (it
predated the web) but it's sort of possible that I have it archived.
Or maybe it was a printed manual. My memory is hazy on this. Anyway,
I'll take a look around for it.

I sold the T4600 to a friend some years ago who used it until it
eventually stopped working. It's sort of possible that the carcass is
still around. If you really want to scrounge parts from it, I can
inquire if it's available (you'd have to pay for shipping, but I doubt
that he'd want actual money for the computer). My guess, though, is
that it hasn't been thrown out but is buried under a mountain of junk
and will be impossible to find.

A T4900 even if working has to be close to worthless these days. You
can probably find a more modern machine on ebay for less than the
hassle of messing with that connector is worth.
mike

Paul Rubin wrote:
mike writes:

[...]

I have a T4600 with the P31 error problem.
Need the pinout for the T4900CDT.

The T4900CDT is easily worth the trouble to solder on 50 wires.
Just need to know which pins to solder 'em to.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Barry Watzman

Mike,

I think that you are not looking at the hard drive itself but at a
"caddy". The caddy can be opened and the hard drive is inside it.

All 2.5" IDE hard drives have a standard (with one exception) interface
connector. It's 44 pins, then a gap, then 4 more pins. The 44 pins are
the standard 40-pin IDE interface (same as on a desktop 3.5" drive, just
with a different connector) and 4 power/ground pins. The extra 4 pins
are used for drive configurations (master/slave/cable select). The only
aspect of this interface that is totally non-standard is the use of the
4 pins for master/slave/CS configuration, which varies by drive model.
Otherwise, everything is standard, going back to at least the early 1990's.

mike wrote:

Paul Rubin wrote:

mike writes:

[...]

FoulDragon

Does the 4900CT you have contain a cable which goes to the existing hard drive
which you could analyze for a pinout?

I did a drive swap on a T1910 and T1950, and while perhaps later models, seem
to recall they used the standard 44-wire laptop drives; in the 1900 series
models, as I recall, the drive pretty much slid onto the connector on the
board, no real cable (at least no visible one, you didn't need to dissect much
to remove the hard drive). I think a BIOS update was needed for large drives,
but 500M was more than adequate for me.

Laptop drives are 44 pin cables, and an extra block of four pins I think may
have to do with master-slave addressing
--
Marada Shra'drakaii
mike

Barry Watzman wrote:
Mike,

I think that you are not looking at the hard drive itself but at a
"caddy". The caddy can be opened and the hard drive is inside it.

Thinking is good. But not reading is proving rather frustrating for me.
No, I don't want a hard drive.
No, I don't want a caddy. (well, if someone had a caddy at a reasonable
price, I could go for that) There is obviously some plastic involved,
but I can improvise that. What I can't improvise are the connections
between the motherboard and the drive. (I'm just too lazy to reverse
engineer it)
I want the PINOUT for the connector on the motherboard of a Toshiba
T4900CDT. IDE signal desgnations by pin number. ON THE MOTHERBOARD END.
Here's a picture of the connector.

http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/con1.jpg

If that's a standard, I'd like to know where to look it up.

So, if you had a computer with the pictured connector and wanted to hook
up an IDE hard drive, how would you ask the question so people could
understand that you needed information to make such a cable??? I've
failed at that task...four times now.
mike