Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DIY flat extension cord?

Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip? My foot
has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high. Maybe
I could make one? Thanks in advance.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 10:43:07 AM UTC-4, Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip? My foot
has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high. Maybe
I could make one? Thanks in advance.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cordinat...-203716817-_-N

here is a 10-foot (3 meter) version, and for outdoor use:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Guardian...CR-5/313246197

And, there are always these:

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com...AlhqEA Lw_wcB

And for the well-heeled, needing flexibility:

https://www.grainger.com/product/14N...gclsrc=aw .ds

We use a lot of the last for the mechanics. Good stuff!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had
to use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor,
I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip?
My foot has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep
it the way it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is
too high. Maybe I could make one? Thanks in advance.

You don't state your location, but do note that at least in the USA, it
is a violation of the electrical code to utilize an extension cord as a
substitute for permanent wiring. So, if you are in the USA, and if
this is a temporary thing, you'll be ok. But if are in the USA and you
might plan to make this permanent you will fail a future electrical
inspection should one occur.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:43:04 -0400, Hem Jung
wrote:

Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip? My foot

Put a rug over it. Even magazines or those large padded shipping
envelopes will work in a pinch.

has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high. Maybe
I could make one? Thanks in advance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:43:04 -0400, Hem Jung wrote:

Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip? My foot
has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high. Maybe
I could make one? Thanks in advance.

I sometimes run temporary cabling above human traffic, but never
anything carrying line power - There are permanent wall/cieling
outlets in the lab.

For short periods, I've run flexible power cable on the floor,
fixed into position at right angles to traffic by hazard tape.

For anything permanent, get the proper wiring done.

RL
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rich wrote:
Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had
to use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor,
I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip?
My foot has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep
it the way it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is
too high. Maybe I could make one? Thanks in advance.

You don't state your location, but do note that at least in the USA, it
is a violation of the electrical code to utilize an extension cord as a
substitute for permanent wiring. So, if you are in the USA, and if
this is a temporary thing, you'll be ok. But if are in the USA and you
might plan to make this permanent you will fail a future electrical
inspection should one occur.

Strange that such a statement would be in the code. Nothing is permanent.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 5:28:38 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Put a rug over it. Even magazines or those large padded shipping
envelopes will work in a pinch.

This has to be one of the most insane pieces of advice ever given - excepting those from Jimmy Neutron. This approaches the quality of advice around using aluminum cans to cover holes in an automotive firewall.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 31 Mar 2021 08:37:23 GMT, Rob wrote:

Rich wrote:
Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had
to use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor,
I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip?
My foot has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep
it the way it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is
too high. Maybe I could make one? Thanks in advance.

You don't state your location, but do note that at least in the USA, it
is a violation of the electrical code to utilize an extension cord as a
substitute for permanent wiring. So, if you are in the USA, and if
this is a temporary thing, you'll be ok. But if are in the USA and you
might plan to make this permanent you will fail a future electrical
inspection should one occur.

Strange that such a statement would be in the code. Nothing is permanent.

Have you read your local/national electrical code?

How about the warning tag on your last purchased extension cord?

RL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/30/2021 9:43 AM, Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord.Â* Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip?Â* My foot
has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is.Â* I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high.Â* Maybe
I could make one?Â* Thanks in advance.

For short term use when I was displaying my book scanner at the
Tulsa Maker Faire, a one day event, I plugged the extension
cord into the provided in-the-floor outlet and then taped it to
the floor. Gaffer tape is preferred, but duct tape or even
masking tape will do.

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rob wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hem Jung wrote:
[...]

https://www.memic.com/workplace-safe...n-cord-hazards

National Electrical Code (NEC) does not allow extension cords in
lieu of permanent wiring (NEC 400.8(1) - 2014 Version).

https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com...ec-400-8.5437/

Article 400

Flexible Cords and Cables

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7,
flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings

(4) Where attached to building surfaces

Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to be
attached to building surfaces in accordance with the provisions of
368.56(B)

(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above
suspended or dropped ceilings

(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in
this Code

(7) Where subject to physical damage

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:43:04 -0400, Hem Jung wrote:

Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip? My foot
has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is. I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high. Maybe
I could make one? Thanks in advance.

I have seen flat mains extension cable for under carpets at £69 a
meter. I wouldn't trust it with powered carpet tacking tools.

Steve
--
http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rich wrote:
Rob wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hem Jung wrote:
[...]

Ok the second one refers to "fixed" and elaborates that use cases where
it would be like the fixed wiring are not permitted, that is reasonable.

The first one probably should have read "in lieu of fixed wiring".
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rich wrote:
Hem Jung wrote:
[...]

I have not purchased extension cords for several decades, but one that
I have here does not mention that, it only mentions that it should
only be used unrolled.

Of course I understand the use cases for extension cords, but I think
the use of the word "permanent" is strange and vague, because nothing
is ever permanent, and temporary solutions often last a long time
(longer than some permanent ones!)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rob wrote:
Rich wrote:
Rob wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hem Jung wrote:
[...]

Yes, "in lieu of fixed wiring" would have used the wording from the NEC
section.

Instead, it was using the "not easily removed" sub-definition of
"permanant" (item 2(a) at the URL below):

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/permanent

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter W. wrote:
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 5:28:38 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Put a rug over it. Even magazines or those large padded shipping
envelopes will work in a pinch.

This has to be one of the most insane pieces of advice ever given - excepting those from Jimmy Neutron. This approaches the quality of advice around using aluminum cans to cover holes in an automotive firewall.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Agreed. When putting an extension cord in a foot trafficed are you wrap it
in oily rags, so the there's no friction to pinch the insulation. Then you
cover it with a nylon rug or other insulating material.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 7:43:07 AM UTC-7, Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord. Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip?

There are speaker-cord solutions (very flat cable, suitable for under-rug use)
but not recommended for AC line power. Another solution in utility areas is to screw
a few hooks into the ceiling, and dangle the extension overhead.

The deluxe approach, of course, is to mount a floor receptacle, with suitable support
and foot-traffic-capable cover. Search on "Hubbell floor receptacle" for examples.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 30/03/2021 15:43, Hem Jung wrote:
Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord.Â* Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip?Â* My foot
has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is.Â* I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high.Â* Maybe
I could make one?Â* Thanks in advance.

What Power (Watts/VA), Current (Amps) is the "something pretty?"
Exactly what distance to the wall outlet?

Does it have a wall wart adaptor? If it does, you could extend the
output of that, with a different lighter cable - though you may lose
power over an excessive length.

If you have walls that are plasterboard, fishing cables through them
isn't too much work. You might have closer power on the other side of them.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/30/2021 11:53 AM, Ralph Phillips wrote:
On 3/30/2021 10:21 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Just had to power something pretty far away from the outlet and had to
use a standard extension cord.Â* Since this goes across the floor, I'm
wondering if there's anything I can do to make this anti-trip?Â* My foot
has caught it a couple of times, so not very good if I keep it the way
it is.Â* I see flat extension cords online, but price is too high.Â*
Maybe
I could make one?Â* Thanks in advance.

Have you seen the floor protectors ?Â* Rubber pieces that are a few
inches wide that the cord goes under ?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-...-ft-1-Channel-
Over-Floor-Cord-Protector-Black-CDBK-5/205485211

There are many variations of this.

To which I'd add the cheap version, Gaffer Tape.

(In a dire pinch, duck tape or even duct tape can be used ... )

RwP

This my be a repeat but, I don't see my OP.

Here is a flat Extension cord, it is 0.9mm high, but the info states
0.003" high.

https://tinyurl.com/48e53w6t

The add states, thinnest extension cord in the world, 0.003-Inch _Flat
Code_ 9.84-Feet Black.

As a joke I ask a question, does Flat Code, mean multiply by 10? I got
serious answers.

Old English B22 (bayonet) cord plugs and cord sockets Jim Hawkins[_2_] UK diy 2 January 29th 14 10:38 PM
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make little switches for thick cord. micky Home Repair 23 September 3rd 12 05:00 AM
A cord is a cord, of course, of course ...... Steve B[_2_] Home Repair 12 December 18th 09 05:55 AM
Anyone know the name of the shower head that you have to pull a cord to turn it on, and releaseing the cord turns it off? Brett Miller Home Repair 5 March 9th 06 07:14 AM
Dryer to Standard 220 Extension Cord Mark Jerde Woodworking 30 September 18th 03 05:06 AM