Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make little switches for thick cord.

Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make
little roller switches for thick cord?

The first question is philosophical and the second is practical.

Lamp cords and fan cords etc. are thicker than they were years ago. I
don't think the copper is thicker but the vinyl is? Why did they do
that? The old cords were fine (and variious designes of
quick-attach plugs, receptacles, switches, etc. were suited for the
old thickness) .

(I haven't rewound my 78 year old fan yet, but I do like the $5 dollar
one I just bought. It fits on the windows sill and I want to put the
same roller switch on the cord that the other fan had, so I only have
to raise my arm to turn the fan off.)

But the cord is so thick, the only inline switches that will work are
the 2 or 3" long ones. going by what I've found so far

I've been to Home Depot and I've looked online. I've looked on Ace
and Lowe's web pages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 10:49*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

Can't you use a small knife to enlarge the holes at the ends of the
rotary switch that you have, and mash down on the cord for the
internal electrical connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:52:44 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Aug 31, 10:49*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

I don't think so.

I was going to use a soldering iron tip to melt away what I didn't
want, but there is no leeway. Right next to one of the two
entrances is one of the two alignment pins, and part of the
structure of the case.

Plus the needles that pierce the insulation don't seem long enough to
do so. And this new vinyl seems tougher than the rubber from older
electric cord. I'm not sure the pins will make it in at all.

I don't think it can be mashed, partly because it's not rubber, but I
thought about shaving the wire to make it thinner. If I could do a
good job, on one side and the outer edge of both conductors for about
an inch each, that would solve all the problems, but I'm sure i will
make big nicks all the way down to the copper. I'd use a new blade,
but I don't think that's enough.

Maybe I can do it. Is there some clever way to do a good job of
shaving?

BTW, do razor sharp replaceable blades get dull just sitting around
for 5 or 10 years?
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

Replace the supplied wire with two-conductor zip cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:49*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

for 5 or 10 years?- Hide quoted text -

I like Heybub's idea of replacing the power cord with a thinner one as
long as it is safe and a newer cord should still be ok. Otherwise,
shving the cord down seems reasonable, us a new blade and go slowly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make
little roller switches for thick cord?

The first question is philosophical and the second is practical.

Lamp cords and fan cords etc. are thicker than they were years ago. I
don't think the copper is thicker but the vinyl is?

I can't say I've noticed any change (not saying there isn't). You are using
standard lamp cord? The stuff with two vinyl/rubber encased wires joined in
the middle? What gauge? Can you use a smaller gauge?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2012 11:49 PM, micky wrote:
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make
little roller switches for thick cord?

This is prolly what you need:

http://www.frys.com/product/3210591

Heavy duty in-line rocker switch, 10A, 120Volts AC, with insulation
piercing terminals.
Current Rating: 10A@125V AC Dielectric Strength: 300 Volt Terminal
Material: Brass Terminal Type: Screw Wire Type: Flat or round cords
Flat:18/2 & 16/2, SPT-1, SPT-2, HPN Round: 18/2 type SVT, up to 9/32" O.D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message news
[...]

I use remotes on things. Item plugs into attachment that plugs into outlet.
Remote then turns it on and off. Wife is disabled and this works great for
her. Google for where to buy. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 10:03:52 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

micky wrote:
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make
little roller switches for thick cord?

The first question is philosophical and the second is practical.

Lamp cords and fan cords etc. are thicker than they were years ago. I
don't think the copper is thicker but the vinyl is?

I can't say I've noticed any change (not saying there isn't). You are using
standard lamp cord?

It's what came attached to the fan, and to a lot of things these days.

It's thicker. It doesn't bend as easily**. I think it's denser or at
least not as soft as traditional zip cord. It might last longer, but
the traditional stuff easily lasts 30 years.

**So much so that I'll have to reroute the cord... because when I roll
over and maybe push on the cord, I've knocked the fan off the sill.
With the older "rubber" cord, the cord just bent and the fan stayed
where it was.

The stuff with two vinyl/rubber encased wires joined in
the middle?

Yes, the stuff is like that.

What gauge?

I don't know. It's a little motor that spins a 4" blade. Couldn't
be more than 30 watts. So I assume it's 14 gauge.

Can you use a smaller gauge?

If I cut the cord off, I can use a smaller wire. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 11:37:48 -0400, diy savant wrote:

On 8/31/2012 11:49 PM, micky wrote:
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make
little roller switches for thick cord?

This is prolly what you need:

http://www.frys.com/product/3210591

Maybe. Thanks. It's a switch I hadn't seen before.

Heavy duty in-line rocker switch, 10A, 120Volts AC, with insulation
piercing terminals.
Current Rating: 10A@125V AC Dielectric Strength: 300 Volt Terminal
Material: Brass Terminal Type: Screw Wire Type: Flat or round cords
Flat:18/2 & 16/2, SPT-1, SPT-2, HPN Round: 18/2 type SVT, up to 9/32" O.D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:47:04 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

I use remotes on things. Item plugs into attachment that plugs into outlet.
Remote then turns it on and off. Wife is disabled and this works great for
her. Google for where to buy. WW

Thanks. I went through all the switches at a few stores, and I did
see a couple of those. It's a possibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 04:56:09 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

micky wrote:

But the cord is so thick, the only inline switches that will work are
the 2 or 3" long ones. going by what I've found so far

I've been to Home Depot and I've looked online. I've looked on Ace
and Lowe's web pages.

Replace the supplied wire with two-conductor zip cord.

Hmmm.. Maybe so. I don't like idea of opening up a brand new thing,
or of cutting off most of the cord and splicing, but maybe that's what
I should do. . Thanks

Maybe I should shave the cord like Bob suggests and if I do a bad job,
then I can change the cord.

BTW, it also comes with a small ceramiic fuse (like a glass fuse) in a
little compartment in the plug. I wonder why they have that. I
guess US style plugs are used all over north and south America. Does
that mean they think some places don't have normal fusing, or do they
think their fan is likely to short?

Thanks everyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote:
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make
little roller switches for thick cord?

The first question is philosophical and the second is practical.

Lamp cords and fan cords etc. are thicker than they were years ago. I
don't think the copper is thicker but the vinyl is?

I can't say I've noticed any change (not saying there isn't). You are using
standard lamp cord?

It's what came attached to the fan, and to a lot of things these days.

Some other thick cords are those that go to power supply bricks, even
for laptops and smaller things than that. Those cords carry less
than an amp, but for some reason t hey're a lot thicker.

The cord on this fan isn't black but clear I think, but because of
what's inside and maybe reflection, it doesn't look like copper inside
but more black.

I may have seen stuff like this on lamps for sale, but I'm not sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

It's the crappy cheap chinese electrical devices. Cit the cord off
inside and replace with decent zip cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, it also comes with a small ceramiic fuse (like a glass fuse) in a
little compartment in the plug. * I wonder why they have that. * I
guess US style plugs are used all over north and south America. *Does
that mean they think some places don't have normal fusing, or do they
think their fan is likely to short?

Thanks everyone.

while the branch circuit breaker may be 15 amps the max current the
fan for instance may ever pul is 2 amps.

so they fuse the item to prevent a fire........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 14:39:51 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

BTW, it also comes with a small ceramiic fuse (like a glass fuse) in a
little compartment in the plug. * I wonder why they have that. * I
guess US style plugs are used all over north and south America. *Does
that mean they think some places don't have normal fusing, or do they
think their fan is likely to short?

Thanks everyone.

while the branch circuit breaker may be 15 amps the max current the
fan for instance may ever pul is 2 amps.

so they fuse the item to prevent a fire........

Well that's good. The plug is barely bigger than other plugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2012 10:49 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Don't you know that everyone in America is gaining weight and fatter
than we were in years past? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

We gain enough, we'll all be of one accord.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Don't you know that everyone in America is gaining weight and fatter
than we were in years past? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Replace the supplied wire with two-conductor zip cord.

Hmmm.. Maybe so. I don't like idea of opening up a brand new thing,
or of cutting off most of the cord and splicing, but maybe that's what
I should do. . Thanks

Often one has to modify a new item to get it to conform to the buyer's
wishes: Mud flaps on a Corvette, for example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
micky wrote:

Replace the supplied wire with two-conductor zip cord.

Hmmm.. Maybe so. I don't like idea of opening up a brand new thing,
or of cutting off most of the cord and splicing, but maybe that's what
I should do. . Thanks

Often one has to modify a new item to get it to conform to the buyer's
wishes: Mud flaps on a Corvette, for example.

Make an extension cord out of zip cord with the style of plug, switch and
outlet that you want and plug the fan cord into it. That way you can make it
as long as you want, route it conveniently - maybe even more conveniently
than before.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

Clap On, Clap Off, The Clapper!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Clapper-So.../dp/B0000CGKLR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:26:36 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the idea. I guess some people like them but it would wake
me up if I had to clap. Even after my mother died and left me one, I
gave it away. I guess she liked it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

It would wake you up if you had to clap?

How can you clap when you're sleeping?

How can you control any switch when you are sleeping?